Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Automatic tranny's are significantly easier for the new wheeler to run trails and learn. I was on a trail somewhere in South Dakota with an inexperienced wheeler in a 2 door manual JK. The guy was having trouble on every obstacle and got so frustrated he was going to immediately sell the JK.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Automatic tranny's are significantly easier for the new wheeler to run trails and learn. I was on a trail somewhere in South Dakota with an inexperienced wheeler in a 2 door manual JK. The guy was having trouble on every obstacle and got so frustrated he was going to immediately sell the JK.
My millennial Son-in-law is a brilliant mechanical engineer. When we were up at our remote mountain cabin with a rugged 4X4 only access trail I asked him if he could drive a stick. Being the mechanical engineer that he is he said, "Well, I understand it in theory, but I've never experienced it's practical application." To which I said, "So... If I get critically injured up here it could be a while before you get me to the hospital." To which he then replied, "Or we could both end up dead." So... I'm extra careful with the chainsaw when cutting down a tree.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2005 TJ Wrangler, 4.0, manual.
I‘ve been battling the gremlin check engine light in this Jeep for some time now. Removed the front cat converters when I first purchased a few years ago to find the last owner had hollowed out the converters. Replaced the unit and installed 4 factory O2 sensors. To this day I’m still getting check engine lights for all the sensors.
Today my wife called and said the Jeep was running ruff and had stalled in the parking lot at work.
I ran a diagnostic with my scanner and showed, P0300 multi cylinder misfire, P0340 no camshaft signal @ pcm, P0335 camshaft position circuit, and one for each Oxygen sensor heat circuit too high. I disconnected the battery cables and held them together for about a minutes. Started up the Jeep and it is running great again.
I know there were issues with this years Jeep computers from reading the forums. I read some where that somebody was rebuilding these units and people were having good luck with them, but I cannot find the source. If anyone could help me with a good source that would be much appreciated.

thanks, Greg
Greg,
I had similar issues on my 2005 Unlimited a while back. Check the wiring harness that is close to the valve cover on the right rear side of the engine (right side sitting in the drivers seat). Look for wires that have rubbed through and shorting on the valve cover. This causes all kinds of crap to happen.
This issue drove me crazy for months until I took it to one of those guys that loves finding this sort of thing.

·
2,111 Posts
I love my 04 auto for the way it’s kept me safe, especially in Moab. It has 170k hard miles on it and is still going strong. Turning the overdrive off and if needed going in a lower gear gives the control I need. I’ve never had it ”get away.”

Tractor/trailers are another story. We hated auto tractors at Coke. They wouldn’t stay in the lower gear if the RPMs demanded shifting. I almost lost my life as a school bus passenger going down Tioga Pass from Yosemite. We lost our brakes. The bus was a manual. He tried to go lower and could not. He tried to go back to the gear he was in and could not. We free wheeled shoulder to shoulder and found a meadow to spare us. I don’t mention the story to say anything about manual or auto. Each type does what it’s told to do.

There’s no way I would’ve gotten 170k out of a clutch.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Picked up a WranglerFix PCM for my son's 2005 LJ auto 15 months ago and it's been perfect. On a related side note, had an issue with the O2 ready state. Had to splice some wires in the PDC based on service bulletin 25-005-13 in order to fix.

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
My millennial Son-in-law is a brilliant mechanical engineer. When we were up at our remote mountain cabin with a rugged 4X4 only access trail I asked him if he could drive a stick. Being the mechanical engineer that he is he said, "Well, I understand it in theory, but I've never experienced it's practical application." ............
How things have changed, I learned to drive with my mom's 1956 Chevy - three on the column. On the ranch I have a Japanese mini-truck that's right hand drive - stick shift on the left but fortunately clutch/brake/throttle in the same orientation as left-hand drive. It took me about an hour of seat time to get used to changing gears with my left hand.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
I learned how to drive stick on Datsun's first front wheel drive car
The F10
What a P.O.S. transmission.
:D
But now, anything else is so freaking easy.
While the gear throws are long, I always felt like my Rubicon shifted very nice.

·
Registered
2005 Rubicon, 4.0, Manual trans, 2.5” lift, 33” Duratracs.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Installed the wranglerfix PCM in the Jeep last Saturday, and all is well so far! No check engine lights and the engine is running nice and smooth. Looks like a pretty awesome fix for the 05/06 Rubicon.
Hey Sam952,
Couple year ago I found a wiring harness bundle on the left drivers side, that was picking up a lot of heat from the exhaust manifold. It had melted through the insulation on a couple of the wires. Fixed wires and wrapped bundle in a small welding blanket. Zip tied a little further from the heat.
Thanks to everyone that responded!
Greg

·
2,111 Posts
elff is addressing a common issue with 05 and 06’s specifically. They have transmission control integrated with the PCM. I’m assuming your 03 is like my 04 where the PCM and the TCM are two different modules with the PCM being on the firewall and the TCM being on the driver’s side fender.

You are correct about PCM’s being hard to find. Wranglerfix has built a business on engineering PCM/TCM’s for the 05 and 06’s. Other years are barren. They are out there though. I replaced mine.

·
2,111 Posts
Keep us posted on the TCM thing. Most of our latest stories are about the PCM. Are the TCMs VIN specific? It seems parts suppliers are more apt to stock a more generic part.

It may be helpful for you to start a new thread and start a TCM discussion.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts