Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory amp went out and I am looking for a direct replacement with no luck. Mine has the factory triangular amp setup and no one sells it new or used that I can find.

Can any of you tell me a good option that works well with the existing configuration of the 05 LJ subwoofer amp center console? or an amp that will wire up easily in the center console? or point me to a link on here that might give that info? I'd prefer to keep everything contained in the console and unexposed. I've already replaced the sub, that was blown, and now found my amp has shorted out.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you have an LJ, Sign up on the LJ Owners forum. They have a lot of “sound system” upgrade information.
Thanks for the response I will check it out. However It is an LJ Rubicon and the LJ and TJ both have the same center console systems in those years. 2004-2006

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
OK.. I've been down this road before. I haven't found the schematics and haven't found anything to back this up but I'm pretty sure it's not an amp. Both fronts and both rear speaker wires go to it and the output go to a little tiny dual cone 2 ohm speaker they call a sub... I think that triangular thing is just a low pass filter combining the 4 channels and passing only the low frequency's. With that said, good luck finding any aftermarket replacement. Quadratec does have a direct replacement for the speaker that is way better quality that has a rubber surround that won't disintegrate after a couple years. I have found the "amp" before but it was pretty expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK.. I've been down this road before. I haven't found the schematics and haven't found anything to back this up but I'm pretty sure it's not an amp. Both fronts and both rear speaker wires go to it and the output go to a little tiny dual cone 2 ohm speaker they call a sub... I think that triangular thing is just a low pass filter combining the 4 channels and passing only the low frequency's. With that said, good luck finding any aftermarket replacement. Quadratec does have a direct replacement for the speaker that is way better quality that has a rubber surround that won't disintegrate after a couple years. I have found the "amp" before but it was pretty expensive for what it is.
I believe it is an Amp. A bridgeable amp will have all speakers running into it. Having installed many systems in cars in my youth I would always have the all speakers running through the amp to ensure you have clean, level sound. And it has a remote wire that runs to it as well as do typical amps. with it not working I can definitely tell the sound difference in all speakers. It sounds like an AM radio without it now.

I think my best bet is just going to be to customize the box and use a compact after market am however since this little triangular thing is obviously impossible to find. Even most wrecking yards don't seem to be selling them with the center console and if they are they want 3-500 dollars.

Thanks again all for the responses though its appreciated

·
Registered
372 Posts
I replaced the amp with a Kicker 42PXA2001 and the speaker with a Kicker CompRT 6.75" 1-ohm.

I was able to mount the amp inside of the amp box on the back wall. I removed the components for the factory amp and remounted the triangle plate. I mounted the new speaker with wood screws, but some plastic did need to be trimmed on the back side of the opening.

I have an aftermarket head unit, so I ran it's sub out to the amp. I do not have the front/rear speaker wires connected to it like the factory amp.

I used the 12V power and the 12v signal from the radio, which I have connected to my aftermarket head unit. Ground I don't remember exactly what I did. I may have just ran a ground to chassis.

The only concern I have is with the new amp being in the amp box. If I need to get to it I have tear the whole center console apart again. But I really couldn't think of another place to mount it.

Here's the wiring from the FSM.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
I believe it is an Amp. A bridgeable amp will have all speakers running into it. Having installed many systems in cars in my youth I would always have the all speakers running through the amp to ensure you have clean, level sound. And it has a remote wire that runs to it as well as do typical amps. with it not working I can definitely tell the sound difference in all speakers. It sounds like an AM radio without it now.
That "amp" does absolutely nothing for the front and rear speakers. The front and rear speakers do not run through the "amp" , they may run into it but not out of it... the "amp" is electrically parallel to them and just gets audio from them for the little sub-woofer.
And as to it sounding like crap without it, it sounds just the same with a good "amp" and no little sub-woofer.... it's amazing how much that little sub-woofer fills in the sound.
I still think that "amp" is nothing more than a low pass/channel mixer but without schematics or actually measuring input vs output I can't prove it.
The Jeep wiring diagram shows the "amp" and sub-woofer as one unit, which is also how it is sold from Jeep as a factory replacement, that whole black box insert.
Good luck... over the past 17 years folks have pieced together all kinds of replacements for that contraption!
Believe me, I started screwing around with mine 15 years ago....

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Hey, BucnBrett. I live in Pacific WA and my factory amp is sitting in my garage. You can have it free if you come get it. Pacific is right off hwy 167 near Hwy 18.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts