Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anything that can be easily done to make the auto overdrive shift better? It seems that after I corrected the speedo with a speedo healer, I have to completely floor the accelerator pedal to get it to shift out of o/d on the highway and makes the 4.0 feel like a 4cyl even with 4.88 gears. I love the Jeep but this auto trans really sucks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
is there anything that can be easily done to make the auto overdrive shift better? It seems that after I corrected the speedo with a speedo healer, I have to completely floor the accelerator pedal to get it to shift out of o/d on the highway and makes the 4.0 feel like a 4cyl even with 4.88 gears. I love the Jeep but this auto trans really sucks.

I have an 05 Rubi with 4:88's, have the speed healer, 33's and live in a high elevation area with hills and mountains and needed to do something with the overdrive control. I bought another switch on amazon, extended the stock wiring and mounted the switch on the shift lever. Actually works great and I can easily go in and out of overdrive. Sort of a forth gear.

May not be what you need with the acceleration you want but for less than 35 bucks you can give it a try and see if this helps. You could use the stock switch and pull it out of the dash and do this for almost no cost.

Switch can be bought here.
https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-2003-2006-Wrangler-Overdrive-56047020aa/dp/B017WUGRS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1534048185&sr=1-1&keywords=jeep+tj+overdrive+switch

·
Administrator
10,462 Posts
I think disconnecting the battery and waiting for 15 minutes for everything to completely discharge would put the PCM and TCM in learn mode (in the '05 and '06 the TCM is integrated in the PCM.)

(for the newbies - PCM: powertrain control module, TCM: transmission control module)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts