Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read different opinions, so the question is.

Does a 2004 need to have the OPDA swapped out with the Crown automotive part. I had seen some info that said only the 2005-2006 need to have it done.

I also read somewhere that if you do change it you need to use the cam sensor that came on the original OPDA.

Any one have good info one way or another.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I do not believe that the 04 version have the same OPDA (or opda issues) as the 05/06. Norminator will confirm as I believe he has an '04.

·
2,192 Posts
Yeah, I remember being glad I didn’t have that issue. Mine is original from 2004. Maybe someone will catch us up to date on this.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
My 2005 had the OPDA fail the morning of a trail ride in Colorado. I put in a Crown OPDA from NAPA that afternoon and it has been flawless since. I used the Crown sensor without issue.

That was a 2005. The problem parts may have started in late 2004 models, but I am not sure. Bottom line is the Crown units work well, so if you encounter the issue there is a solid alternative.

Inspection and preemptive replacement might be wise.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have read different opinions, so the question is.

Does a 2004 need to have the OPDA swapped out with the Crown automotive part. I had seen some info that said only the 2005-2006 need to have it done.

I also read somewhere that if you do change it you need to use the cam sensor that came on the original OPDA.

Any one have good info one way or another.

Mike
As John stated, the '04's are different from the '05-'06.
Here are some visuals to determine which may be in your vehicle:

Organism Font Parallel Diagram Pattern

Photograph White Human body Organism Gesture

1 - 8 of 8 Posts