Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I blow something up. I’m installing a trailer brake control deal in my 2017 JK. I’m pretty sure they require a 20 amp service. I hate to just start splicing into stuff under the dash and possibly screw something up. I suppose I could go direct off the battery and put a 20 amp fuse and a switch on it.
I’m pretty sure the controller would probably not use more that 10 amps. But with all the can bus stuff etc I don’t want to blow anything up.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW. This will be used on a trailer that weighs around 1,000 lbs light and I don’t see it going over 2500 heavy.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at this deal. Perhaps, being it has a 10 amp only capacity, I could use it to turn on a relay to power up the brake controller when the key is on.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Trailer brake controller wired direct to battery so the trailer brakes can be applied when the key is off. In case of emergency. The new brake controllers don't draw much power, only a few miliamps.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
The JK's are much easier to snake power wires through the firewall than the TJ's were. There is a rubber grommet near the brake booster that makes it very simple to bring power in from the battery.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trailer brake controller wired direct to battery so the trailer brakes can be applied when the key is off. In case of emergency. The new brake controllers don't draw much power, only a few miliamps.
That sounds easy. I’ll try that. If it drains the battery I’ll do the switch. Thanks.
The JK's are much easier to snake power wires through the firewall than the TJ's were. There is a rubber grommet near the brake booster that makes it very simple to bring power in from the battery.
yes they are. I already had a hole from when I hooked up by rv brake thing.
BTW. I just put on that same rear bumper you have. The Rockhard aluminum.
did yours have a pre drilled hole for trailers brakes? Seems it didn’t.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts