Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at where and how i can mount my Yaesu radios in my Rubi, thinking that the Tuffy boxes that sit on the rear wheel wells would be a good choice, secured, out of the weather (mostly). Anyone tried mounting radios in those boxes? I have the Bestop Extenda Trunk in place of my back seat so not much room in that area or behind the front seats anymore.

Thanks in advance

John
N5BSD

·
Registered
169 Posts
John, Which Yaesu and how many radios are you mounting?

I mounted the control head for my Kenwood overhead to the footman's loop between the visors. The mic connects to the radio, mounted under the seat.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just keep in mind that putting the rig inside a box will generate a lot of heat especially running at full power. If I had to do it over again, I would get one of those mounts that they've just introduced that goes on the side of the driver's side console. It puts the radio just on top of the dash. Very visible but easily accessed. My rig is 2m only and I only talk on one repeater so I mounted mine under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's a couple of ideas:

On all three locations I used a Ram quick disconnect.

The main unit is installed in my rear box. Another place would be mounted under the seat like KA5IVR pointed out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a FT-7800R and FT-100D that I am looking at install locations for, this jeep gets wheeled and most of the time with no doors or top, so i am looking for weather protection as well.
I have the Tuffy Series 2 center console already, and will be moving my CB from the top of the dash to the passenger side of shifter housing soon, I had both radios remote mounted in my Ranger, so already have the full separation kits for both rigs. The tuffy speaker/storage boxes look like they would work (without speakers) which would give some venting, and I am looking at addition ventilation fans as well. Control head swill likely be mounted to the sport cage additions i will be putting in as soon as my DOM gets in, so up and out of the way and out of general view with the Magellan 4040 GPS I am currently using. Still in the planning stages on all this luckily, so I can get it all worked out before I ever start melting solder
:D

and has anyone mounted a SSB-7 dual band antenna to a wind slider before? need to get a set of those soon and can easily fab a tab to put a couple of those on the sides of the windshield and find some way to attach the screwdriver to the warn tire carrier and start the grounding process all over again HI HI

Thanks again

John
N5BSD

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Might be able to fit 1-2 remote head radio's in a Tuffy Center consul (non subwoofer model). In my 03 Rubi I had my RockShots video switcher & DVR in there, I did insulate it to keep heat transfer from trans tunnel down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts