Rubicon Owners Forum banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know either, not familiar with this setup or even can visualize it since I've never dealt with this setup.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
This torque arm, is this for the motor when it torques?
I suppose this is doing the same thing as the big chain I had mounted to the left side of my blown 454 to the frame to keep from possibly breaking a motor mount and twisting the drive line.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
This torque arm, is this for the motor when it torques?
I suppose this is doing the same thing as the big chain I had mounted to the left side of my blown 454 to the frame to keep from possibly breaking a motor mount and twisting the drive line.

Once upon a time I saw that this arm was to attenuate the torque so that it didn't break off one of the mounting ears of the transmission. Who knows? Looks weird to me!:serious:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Once upon a time I saw that this arm was to attenuate the torque so that it didn't break off one of the mounting ears of the transmission. Who knows? Looks weird to me!:serious:
So the same principle just on the tranny to keep it from breaking, likely also from the twisting when jeeping.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
bump, any updates. you fell off the internet

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah. What happened to Mr. Stinger.

·
3,464 Posts
Frank has been battling illness. Sadly, I don't think we will get any more updates on this awesome project.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Frank will not be finishing the renovation of his dad’s truck. Late last year he was diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer and despite surgery the prognosis was dire. I am no longer in the club we had in common and have not heard an update, but expect the worst.

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
This place isn't quite the same without Frank's participation.

I've wheeled with him several times, the most noteworthy was Frank and Faye and us (wife Jane) ran Black Bear together. I was leading and on the last one way switchback the plastic thingy that holds the gear shift linkage to the tranny crank arm fell out (common problem as I found out) when I was reversing to make the turn. So there I was blocking the trail and the gearshift was in neutral o_O. Frank maneuvered to where he got a winch line on my stern so my Rubi didn't take a flying jump towards Telluride.

Thanks to zip ties and a little duct tape I got the two parts married to where we could finish the trail and return to the RV park. I think either Frank or I put up a picture of that.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
I also wish Frank and his family the best...

341 - 353 of 353 Posts