321 - 340 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Good progress

On the rubber bits, I have found some energy suspension products that are not directly designed for the purpose, but work for other purposes.

How deep is the snow path you needed to dig to get from the house to the shop. My friends in Redmond are still suck with 3" on the ground, but starting to melt. Be safe out there.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
3,464 Posts
Those rubber pieces might be something used by a similar vintage chevy or ford truck. Luckily Jeep/AMC did a lot of part sharing with other manufacturers.

I'm a little surprised to see the Dakota digital gauges, as I assumed you were going for a close to OEM restoral and not a resto-mod. Those are really nice gauges. So, does this mean there is a chance you will convert the engine to fuel injection?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
395 Posts
You look a little overdressed for 70+ degrees. :smile2:

Here is a site I have saved for my CJ-8 build. I haven't gotten that far yet.

The link goes to universal parts, but they do have a search by make, model, year.

https://metrommp.com/index.cfm?f=part_list_by_type&Type=Bumpers%20-%20Hood

If you find an universal part you think will work, you can see a list of the vehicles it will fit like Mouse suggested.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Inline: if I go to the shop the back way the snow is to my neck from the shop roofalanches. Around the sides its only a 4 or 5 feet tunnel. The new 3 stage snow blower helped a LOT,

Don: Resto is alright but not the intent. I want an absolutely reliable DD. We have already dumped a ton ( or more) of cash into this truck. So the Holley TB injection may have to wait.

FLLJ: I have been pretty sick with sinus issues so while the shop is 70 my old body was saying 50. Plus that was a free sweatshirt from our house builder. Thanks for the link. Ill check it out

Dang it all to he'll. Machine shop called and said the head they are rebuilding was cracked. I was holding one head as a core for the reman I got from Rockauto. Not any more I hauled it to Bend to start over on it. Sure hope it's not bad!

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
hope the snow subsides for you all out there.

really hope it does not fast thaw and flood.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Took heads into a local machine shop and found both are cracked! Found 1 at Rockauto but now it's a discontinued item. My brother and I have scoured the earth looking for another with the correct casting number. Nope ain't gonna happen

After chasing this problem around for 2 months now I talked to Central Cylinder in Portland. After explaining my situation, Jerry said sorry the crack is in the spring pad area and I can't help

BUT a second contact with Jerry asking for any kind of help resulted in him calling another Jerry at Rick`s Cylinder Head LLC, also in almost Portland.
At 0702 this morning i called Rick's. They said sure we can fix it bring it on up.

So now I have one reman head from RockAuto---their last one ever with this casting number--and one at the rebuilder. Rockauto cost me about $350--Jerry said, worst case: $250.

For you who have not gone through the "it`s really old and nobody has anything like, it coast to coast search" let me just say. HALLELUJAH!

Remember what I said about this already being a 2 month process? Jerry said middle of next week for pick up.
I don't want to install the entire front clip until the motor is in, so this for me is a major step forward----------I hope.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
When I took the head to Ricks Jerry said middle of this week. So today I called and as usual " A guy didn't show up and I'm running behind." So now early next week Like building a house with contractor and subs...…

This is a copy and paste from another forum for Full Size Jeeps but I find there are enough folks here that can help with this search. So thank you in advance.

I took hundreds of photos when I tore this truck down but as too often happens I lost most of them in a computer glitch. (May have been self induced but I'll never admit it.:banghead: :banghead:)

So I need help. I can't remember what holds the boot covering the power assist brake arm as it comes through the firewall. Does anyone have a better picture than this for reference. I have looked in the parts manual illustrations and the FSM. They are no help.

This is a shot of the clip that holds the dash pad to the dash. I am missing several but can't find a source for them. Suggestions?

Finally, for now, I am replacing all the wiring with a Painless 20 unit harness. I have saved all of the old connectors in which the terminal is inserted before going to whatever it is connected. However, when I start searching for these terminal I find so many that I have no idea which ones to try and order. So would someone help me out with this. Al?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #331

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Been too busy and sick to post much lately. Doesn't mean progress has stalled.In fact, I have started rebuilding the dash pad with 3M Flexable epoxy.

I picked up the repaired head, mounted it and when trying to install the intake manifold found that the threads in the head for the intake manifold were gone. Not stripped, just rusted off. So a helicoil repair doen to 3 holes in the Rockauto head and one in my rebuilut head:banghead: When i got that all done i reinstalled the manifold but Didnt get the bolts to 50 # of torque. Every tightened something knowing that one more fraction of a trun was going to strip a thread? Well i got 40+ of torque but stopped at that point.:eek:

A couple of days ago I used the shop crane to put the tranny and TC onto my moveable workbench. Many hours of spray cleaner and it was as clean as i was going to get it.

This morning I chopped the handle off a 8" screwdriver, slid a piece of fuel line over the end and chucked it into my drill. I used that to go into the distributor hole. I slid the fuel line piece down over the oil pump shaft to hold the blade in the slot and primed the engine. Reminder to self--put the pressure sensor into the block before doing this.:banghead:

I then hooked up the shop crane and pulled the engine off the engine stand and moved the engine next to the workbench. From there it was simple to align the engine and tranny. Sorry no pictures of that--I was busy.

Then I moved everything into place and stuffed that bad boy combo back into truck. Tomorrow I should be able to get all the stuff mounted and secured.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Things are moving along. Not nearly as fast as I'd like but still forward.

Rebuilding the entire steering column and part of that was fixing the cracks in the wheel then repainting.

I have the engine in the frame after pulling the cab back off for ease of access. I have new transmission mounts and torque arm stud with bushings. Don't have pictures of this mess when I pulled it apart. One of those hell I can remember this--but almost 3 years later I don't remember.

See what I mean?

This is what I mean by making progress.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Is the tranny mount giving you a headache or is it being used for a rear engine mount?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Mark this thing uses some kind of bastardize torque arm assemble. I can find no illustrations on exactly how it goes together in an tech manual or on line. When I took it apart several years ago it fell out in pieces

321 - 340 of 353 Posts