Rubicon Owners Forum banner

301 - 320 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
The engine bottom obviously had work done to it. Why I have one odd ball piston is beyond me. Must have been my Dad's depression upbringing. I ordered new rings and rod bearings. The crank looked okay and the bearings were pretty good. One exception was a rod journal that looked iffy. 2000 grit emery cloth made it fine!:thumbsup: The corresponding rod bearing was shot. Looked like it had been sitting in sour oil for several years. Which is entirely possible.
Have new rings coming so I honed the cylinders out and for the most part look great. A couple of spots look okay but will work. New timing chain and sprockets also on the way. I found reman heads with hardened seat for right at $650 each here: https://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Components/10175/10002/-1

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Your dad would be proud, Frank.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
So cleaned up the shop and sprayed High Build 2K primer on the front fenders and passenger door. That door was the one I had sprayed with color but so so disgusted with my body work I started over.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Heads are bad on this Buick 350. I knew that going into this build. Local NAPA wants
$800-900 to rebuild them with new harden seats. I did a bunch of research(cost) and found that RockAuto had the best deal for me (keep shipping in mind) so I ordered a pair of heads. No wait they only have one but will tell me when the next one will be shipped! NO wait, the product has been discontinued and probably will never be re-added to the inventory.:bad-words:bad-words. So the 1 head will be here in 2 days or so they say!. I will then probably just take my 1 core to NAPA and get it done. Tired of screwing around with this thing. Todays' progress:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Shot color on the fenders and door yesterday again. After it flashed i saw all kinds of crap in the paint. Shop was clean so i just could not figure it out. Then I did a really good job of cleaning my gun. The crap was from stuff breaking loose and getting shot out in the paint flow. S**T:banghead: :banghead:

So with a silver felt tip I went back over my work and marked everything. Then--you guessed it- more sanding.

After I sanded all those felt tip marked places out I shot another 3 coats of color:thumbsup:

Things are now starting to look pretty good.

so more of this

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
my gosh Frank, you've got skills!
Thanks Chris. I am just never satisfied with what I do. A curse that every DYIer has I think. We see the mistakes/flaws/goofs, not the good stuff. So it helps to once in a while to hear/see positive feedback.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm putting a '61 F100 on a crown Vic chassis right now. Want to do the bodywork if I buy? Ha ha ha ha....

·
Premium Member
351 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Spent the last couple of weeks tearing apart, acid dipping in muriatic acid, cleaning, sanding, and recleaning the heater box and blower assembly. Feels really good to be hanging parts back on rather than tearing apart.

·
3,464 Posts
Are those the seats that will end up in the truck?

Reactions: mac

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Oh ya, things are looking awesome!!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Are those the seats that will end up in the truck?
Not sure yet Don. Those were donated and came from a Jeep Liberty and are power.

However, Stingers seat covers are showing a lot of wear so maybe Stingers go into the truck and Stinger get some new seats>:) win-win.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Well I am kind of stalling until I get a head back from the machine shop. so I can get the engine all back together. A week or so ago they said they would be able to get at in in a week and a half.:banghead: :banghead:

I want to land it in the bay before putting on the inner and fenders. Going to pull the cab back off when I do that. EXCEPT there is now where to put stuff. Normally I would move things outside but we are butt deep in snow and below 20 degree temps.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
If you were closer I would absolutely have to come and see this in person.

301 - 320 of 353 Posts