Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned this several times before. However I have actually started the process. First I ripped out and threw away 2 gas tanks and all of the associated plumbing. Then did a pretty detailed inspection of the rest of the truck both on and off the lift. My intent was to itemize what was needing replacement and prioritize the order in which I would do it. So I have pretty much narrowed it down to jacking up the radiator cap and sliding a new FSJ under it and call it good:frown2:
My dad died in 2009 and this was his truck that he bought almost new. My brother picked it up after Dad passed and has had it since. Last year I realized I wanted a slightly larger truck than my 05 Ranger. The Gladiator passed to me and now the restoration.
Wont be near as many pictures because I have to edit each one and resize to post here and that is too much of a waste of my time.
So sit back and enjoy the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I look forward to your progress and wish you the best of luck.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a fun project. Did a '72 Chevy short bed step side 4x4 awhile ago in the same basic condition.

What you going to do with your Ranger? Is it a 4x4?
When the Gladiator is finished I will sell the Ranger 4x4.

A few more:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finger is slowing me down a little bit. Now I start removing the cab!:laugh2:

Attachments

·
3,464 Posts
Ouch on the finger! Thanks for showing the project. Those are cool trucks. They remind me of the FSJ truck on the original Tremors movie.

IIRC this is a 3/4 ton truck. The rear axle should be a 30-spline Dana 60. Its about the same strength wise as a standard D44. Does it have full floater hubs?

What are the plans for the truck? - drivetrain, body, interior?

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch on the finger! Thanks for showing the project. Those are cool trucks. They remind me of the FSJ truck on the original Tremors movie.

IIRC this is a 3/4 ton truck. The rear axle should be a 30-spline Dana 60. Its about the same strength wise as a standard D44. Does it have full floater hubs?

What are the plans for the truck? - drivetrain, body, interior?
Don this is the J2000 which is a 1/2 ton. Its not floaters.

Figure this resto will be in the neighborhood of 5k If I don't have to do engine work!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The transfer case is likely a Dana 20. The rear axle looks like a Dana 44.

Have you check out www.ifsja.org and www.fsjnetwork.com?

I picked up a 1973 Wagoneer back in April. :grin:

Nope but I will now Thanks.

Dad mentioned that he replaced the rear end with something out of the junkyard years ago. He seem to think he got a deal but I cant remember what he said about it.

Here are a few more from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I recognize that color on the firewall. My 1967 Jeepster was that color before it became Ferrari Red (which is actually a Volkswagen Golf paint color).

Finding good sheet metal was the hardest for me, but there were a lot of FSJ pickups made compared to Jeepsters, which were the most expensive Jeep models, but only about the size of a CJ-8. You might even find that somebody makes body panels for a pickup - which is not true for a Jeepster.

Edit: That's a Dana 20 transfer case. It's a stout gear-driven unit, suitable for a V8, but it only has a 2:1 low range in a Jeepster or FSJ. There is an available "TeraFlex" conversion gearset (about $900) which takes the low range to a more useful 3.15:1 and requires grinding some internal surfaces of the case to clear the larger diameter gears, or you could substitute some junkyard gears from a Bronco Dana 20 which is 2.46:1, and doesn't need grinding. Either low range conversion requires that you match the transfer case input shaft to the transmission - the Turbo 400 and the manual tranny have different output sleeve spline counts.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recognize that color on the firewall. My 1967 Jeepster was that color before it became Ferrari Red (which is actually a Volkswagen Golf paint color).

Finding good sheet metal was the hardest for me, but there were a lot of FSJ pickups made compared to Jeepsters, which were the most expensive Jeep models, but only about the size of a CJ-8. You might even find that somebody makes body panels for a pickup - which is not true for a Jeepster.

Edit: That's a Dana 20 transfer case. It's a stout gear-driven unit, suitable for a V8, but it only has a 2:1 low range in a Jeepster or FSJ. There is an available "TeraFlex" conversion gearset (about $900) which takes the low range to a more useful 3.15:1 and requires grinding some internal surfaces of the case to clear the larger diameter gears, or you could substitute some junkyard gears from a Bronco Dana 20 which is 2.46:1, and doesn't need grinding. Either low range conversion requires that you match the transfer case input shaft to the transmission - the Turbo 400 and the manual tranny have different output sleeve spline counts.
Thanks for the info Gary.
Thankfully I found an outfit in Gig Harbor that has repair panels and a LOT of other replacement stuff.
In fact I have a new gas tank, hoses and lines coming Friday:laugh2:

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
It looks like you're making progress on what is sure to be a long, exasperating process. Best of luck to you Frank.

Reactions: Stinger

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back from Reno so its time to get back on the truck.
Sure improves the access to the TC and tranny.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 353 Posts