Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a 180 deg. therm in their Rubi? I made this mod in my '95 YJ, and what a diff. it made in the cooling and A/C arena.

My question would of course be, would this lower temp therm. confuse the computer into open loop? If not, this would be a great way to keep things cooler in our Rubi's.

Thanks,
Roy

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Roy,

I don't think it would hold the Comp into open loop but I do think it would affect overall engine performance. My jp runs a constant 210 no matter how hot/cold it is outside, from this I would think that the comp would allways be waiting for the engine to completely warm up. This would use more fuel hurting mpg and maybe even affect 02 sensors or Cat's. These affects maybe minimal if your goal is to reduce underhood temps.

James

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have not tried this in my Jeeps, but I have in my Dodge 5.9L gas motor, and It literally cut fuel economy and performance... But I need it in order to put the Mopar Performance chip in...Jerry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but... Medic your new sig is cool anyway to make it clickable or linked to your web site?

·
Registered
340 Posts
.cooler thermo fools engine into thinking it is running cold=more fuel=more power=worse mph.Iwould not recomend anything below 185,as this will create a possable knock sensor code.You will also have to clear you ecm codes after thermo install

·
Registered
326 Posts
The engine is designed to work at a certain temp, so let it do it's thing.
I see 180 degree t-stats used as quick-fixes with performance upgrades that tend to make the engine run hot. The real fix is to upgrade the cooling system, but instead a sloppy patch is used that gives the ability to use the power at wide open throttle without overheating and makes the rig run like crap the rest of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Put a switch on it and use it only when you need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts