Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold the Rubicon that I bought in May of 2003 when they were supposed to be a limited production run. Yeah right ! I aged worse than the Jeep, retired to Oregon and the Jeep hasn't seen anything more challenging than forest service roads for the last 5 years. But fret not, it has been replaced with a 2015 JKU, non "R" (it does have Rubicon wheels/tires though ;) This one is not going to turn into a rock crawler (famous last words) but more of a backcountry/overland rig.

Good to see some of the old members are still around, mac (obviously), squinko, PBR_stitch, Elwarpo and many others. Sad to see some gone (dino).

I will still drop in from time to time if I need ideas for minor modifications.

C>

·
3,425 Posts
You know its coming -:worthless:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,993 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I'm hanging onto my own 2003 Rubicon. I have also aged, but I just drove the lifted and large-tired Jeep from Silicon Valley to Cape Cod, put it on a ferry boat, and took it to Nantucket Island. There the former rock crawler will enjoy a new life as a daily driver (our home there is on an unpaved and potholed road) and beach cruiser.

I decided to keep mine because it was paid for in 2005 and only turned over the 60K mark while coming cross country. It is now in excellant working condition and a new Wrangler is $40K+. So what if I carry around a wooden step for the wife to use to climb aboard.

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
Welcome Back...
lots of " Old timers " are coming home again!!

I do regret selling my 2003
the good news...
getting my 8th Jeep this month
:wink2:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,993 Posts
ok, ok .... the useless side steps are the next thing to go.

Not useless side steps... sacrificial ablative body armor... :)

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not useless side steps... sacrificial ablative body armor... :)
LOL ! No, these steps are really useless. As steps, they are fairly high up to preserve ground clearance. Good idea, but they are only some 3" below the door opening so why bother. Plus you have to step quite a bit more sideways to get in and out of the Jeep if you don't use the steps (see above why not ...). As (even sacrificial) body armor they are way too flimsy. I took them off today and was wondering if they were aluminum but at $166 on Quadratec they are just really thin steel tubing. They probably just bend up into the rockers.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Yellow Jeeps are the best one's, I'm told...

:grin2:

Reactions: mac

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Reactions: Mouse and mac
1 - 10 of 10 Posts