Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
3,714 Posts
Are you keeping the axles full width?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Your wife's jeep has Tera axles so why are you building your own? Are you happy with her axles? Any reason for 14b and st?

Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Registered
680 Posts
Phase 4 must be the Hemi/Ls/Boost phase?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your wife's jeep has Tera axles so why are you building your own? Are you happy with her axles? Any reason for 14b and st?
Her Teraflex 44/60 combo has been great and is "almost" perfect for her rig. Although I wish it was full float.

Cons for her combo:
  • Same D44 ball joints and unit bearings as a stock axle
  • Not full float
  • Not wide enough for a 40x13.5 tire without crazy low backspace

A TF front 60 is 10k. For that same money (or less) I can build a junkyard front AND rear that's stronger.
So I'd say cost is the the biggest factor for us building instead of buying.

Our '14 is admittedly oversized for a DD, and we really want it to be as stout as we can afford. Our kids (and soon grandkids) drive it on our overlanding trips so I want to make sure it's easy for them to overcome obstacles and stout enough to withstand a few stupid moves :) (which usually happen when I take it rock crawling).

So right or wrong that's our logic. (y)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are you keeping the axles full width?
Sorry, I missed this question.
Yes, I currently run a 40x13.5 wide tire with 4.5" backspace. I have my steering bolts maxed out and 2" spacers but It still rubs, bad. So my hopes are that with the wider axles I can run around 4.5" BS and keep my scrub radius better than it is now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Next step is to clean and prep for welding the front, then it's time to start the rear. At that point the "cheap" stuff is done and I start saving $$ for steering, gears, lockers, wheels, control arms, etc.
Still shooting for October completion
Did a quick Photoshop on the design I'm going for.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Picked up a 2001 rear 14 bolt last week, got it cut and ready to prep for welding. Had a couple of bad cuts on the rear, not terrible but I might fill them in once we fire up the welder.

Still have to make the 2" cut out of the front housing then it's ready to prep and weld.

Slow and steady wins the race :)

Reactions: Mouse

·
3,714 Posts
Nice find on the 14 bolt (disk brakes and parking brake) :cool:. What are you doing to the front axle?

Reactions: Blue Baby Sound

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Today was the last of the cutting, trimmed up the C.
Dropping the axles off in a few days to get sand blasted, they'll powder coat the wheels there too.

For those that have never torn down a D60 or 14 bolt (like me) here are a couple of pictures of the pinion size (3.73)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I never got to see the gears in my rear D60 - big hunk of steel. Speaking of a big hunk, that's a bunch of steel you whacked off the "C".
I had hoped to not cut it, but apparently if you run coils/shocks that section will rub the coil.
Artec didn't give any specifics on how much to cut, but Barnes provided measurements on their truss instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Just wondering if you have a youtube channel? I've seen one with a Jeep very similar to yours in Ozark Nat Forrest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just wondering if you have a youtube channel? I've seen one with a Jeep very similar to yours in Ozark Nat Forrest.
I have one with a few ONF videos, but it's mainly for me to document stuff, not something I promote.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_qBDTfbt95x70tPqmETQg/videos

It's a hodge-podge of Jeep stuff, church stuff and band stuff. The last 35 years my hobby has been music (playing drums), but NYE this year was my retirement from that (mostly)

So if you like cheesy 80's hard rock you can check out some of those videos LOL

21 - 40 of 52 Posts