Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peruse these pictures and think for a few. I will tell the tale later after discussing it with others first.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm.. Is this where we get to guess what happened? Okay I'll take first shot.

1. You got stuck so jacked up the rear bumper with the hi-lift then swung the end over and dropped it, but forgot the rear tire carrier was open?
2. A game of "tag your it" gone really bad.
3. It was a bad idea to tie Rotweiller to the spare tire.

No matter what happened the whole assembly looks in good shape, that is assuming it didn't just bend the frame on you.

Ron

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, my turn.

I am going to assume you didnt try to use the tire carrier to try to pull
out another stuck vehicle.

I think you caught a tree limb on the luggage rack, and didnt know it
until it stopped the vehicles progress, or broke the limb off.

At any rate this says something for other products that also tie into the
frame with braces in a couple places (ie RE, Younger Bros., ..)

Looks like you will be placing an order for a rear frame crossmember.

Sorry to see the damage on your new setup though.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Not quite sure what to make of that ! All I can say is OUCH! :jaw:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, two clues so far.

1. the carrier was closed and installed perfectly.
2. I was wheeling on our lovely sand dunes up here in Mi.

·
Registered
147 Posts
okies my turn..

1. Ya got ass ended by another moving object.
2. Ya backed into something. ( in the sand i doubt that one )
3. I don't know if your suppose to have orange flags on your orv in sand there but maybe the flag was too heavy for your bumper :roll: if you had one.

That's all i can think of besides pullin someone out of the sand that got stuck and tweaked ya.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My first thought was you went off a drop and landed on the spare, but it's bent the wrong way for that. My best guess is pulling or being pulled when REALLY stuck.

Regardless the brackets for the bumper twisted plus the bolts have twisted the cross member slightly.

Aside from the bending I see two things missing from the design - it didn't use BOTH tow hook bolts under the frame on each side and it doesn't have a frame tie-in plate sandwiching the cross member.

I recognise it, but I assume you want to talk to the supplier before the fur flies so I won't mention any names.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i wont guess........ as i know YOUR PISSSSSSSSSED!

whats the rest of the story!
:wink:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not really pissed. Upset that it happened of course, but more scratching my head than anything else. We went out for a day at the dunes with what you see in the picture on the thing along with a picnic basket sized cooler. Wasn't out for speed or anything, so was cruising around in 4-low locked about 15-20 to head up a dune and hit a mogul. Nice little wind made speed bumps basically, and after picking up the loose items inside, went out to see the tire dragging on the ground. Had 3 friends help push/bend the unit back somewhat upright and strapped the top to the rollbar.

Now I feel bad for ruining Eddie's wheeling day :(

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Lothos said:
I'm not really pissed. Upset that it happened of course, but more scratching my head than anything else. We went out for a day at the dunes with what you see in the picture on the thing along with a picnic basket sized cooler. Wasn't out for speed or anything, so was cruising around in 4-low locked about 15-20 to head up a dune and hit a mogul. Nice little wind made speed bumps basically, and after picking up the loose items inside, went out to see the tire dragging on the ground. Had 3 friends help push/bend the unit back somewhat upright and strapped the top to the rollbar.

Ok, whats a mogul ????? I still am kinda confused on how u got that thing all messed up...sorry!
Pete M

·
Registered
467 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Lothos said:

Ok, whats a mogul ????? I still am kinda confused on how u got that thing all messed up...sorry!
Pete M
it is a bump made in the terrain made by thingss constantly traveling same routes. ever seen a ski hill that looks like the snow is dimpled like a golf ball? those are moguls, cause by skiers going down the hill in relatively the same patterns.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, like Mike said. They are quite frequent on the dunes as the wind will make them as it slides left to right across the dune face. They're usually about 6-10 inches high and about 2-5 feet across and of course can be several hundred feet long.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Mud Puppy said:
So the latch released and then the force of the bumps bent the brackets?

AHH.....if what Mudpup says is the truth then i have seen the light....i have a bumper similar to your(except its bullettproof) and it came with some crossmember re-enforcement brackets that attack to the frame....after seeing your accident i can see now how these may come in handy.
Pete M

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sorry to see your "10 second carnage" :? like Mud Puppy said: "doesn't have a frame tie-in plate sandwiching the cross member"

It looks to me that the setup was just not build heavy duty enough but I am sure you know that. I took a couple of pictures of how my rear bumper is attached in case you want to make suggestions to the mfg.

Jon

G

·
0 Posts
Looks like you found a weak point. I have the same bumper and plan to make sure that my bolt pattern doesn't leave as much room at the end of the brackets as yours (it appears that's where it bent). I may also look into building both brackets up a bit more.

Do you know if the latch opened?

G

·
0 Posts
Lothos said:
Peruse these pictures and think for a few. I will tell the tale later after discussing it with others first.

Thanks for reminding me to purchase a couple of ratchet straps to throw in my kit.....

I would have had a come-a-long sticking out the rear.....

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The flat spot that the factory bumper mounts to is very flimsy, not strong enough to carry much weight. Mine has bent up from dragging the tube bumper I have.

I've looked at several carriers for the rear tire, the best usually have a bracket that mounts inside the Jeep at the right rear mounting point for the "sport bar", it then mounts a bracket on the rear panel above the tail light.

Bummer dude.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, the latch never failed. The latch worked awesome in fact. It is my belief that in the standard form, this bumper is only strong enough to carry a tire and possibly a hi-lift. The added weight of the blitz can carrier and the cargo rack add alot of weight to the opposite end of the fulcrum point, thus amplifying the force at the bracket. While I can take some responsibilty for the damage, I think the added accessories should recommend strongly a frame reinforceement kit with them and quite posssibly the tire carrier as well is you plan for something larger than 33". Eddie's being really great though helping me out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts