Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 1" Body lift and 1" Motor mounts today in the mail and will be installing them this weeked. I found a site http://www.gotjeep.net/mmlift.html detailing the install. I would like to know from those who have installed them if there are any other "gotchas" I need to watch out for that aren't normally in the instructions. Or if there are any helpful pointers you would recommend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
The body lift is very easy. I would do it first. The MM lift is a different story - at least it was for me. Did you get the complete mounts or the spacers? I used the spacers and will never again. I had to remove the stock mounts to get the spacers in place so I should have just used new mounts.

Do ONLY one side at a time. Do not unbolt both sides. Getting it to line back up will be a pain. Start with the passenger side. Access is no problem. The driver side was the real pain for me. The bolt holding the motor mount to the motor mount (engine) bracket could not be pulled out because of the AC. I had to loosen the 3 bolts that attach the motor mount bracket to the engine. This allowed me to shift the bracket/mount just enough to pull the bolt out.

Also, I jacked the engine up using a piece of wood under the oil pan. It worked but I got a nice dent in the oil pan. Local shop fixed it though by pounding the dent out.

Just take your time and good luck.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree

The body lift is easy and should be done first. When you do the motor mounts just take your time and it too is easy. The alignments of bolts can be frustrating but just think it through and it's a breeze. The only other issues are to use the bell housing as the jack point and be sure you're on level ground when you do it. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Body lift first, its easy. When I did the motor mount lift, the drivers side was easier and straight foreward. The passenger side would bolt right in however I had to clearance (GRIND) the passenger side motor mount bracket that bolts to the engine block. Without adding a little clearance it would contact the frame at different torque loads. Don't forget to check your T-case linkage adjustment when finished.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it the other way around. While doing the body lift if easy per say, you have to think about the MML. You don't have a lot of room to get tools in there on the DS, and if you lift the body, you close up the clearances even more. You will also need to be reaching over the fenders, and that extra inch of height really matters. Take a look at these two pages. You didn't say which lift manufacturers they were, but the basics are on both of these and you will get an idea of what to watch for. One other note on the MML, loosen the nuts on the T-case mount to skid plate bolts, this will allow the t-case to move a little. I was able to get my MML in and then I loosened these to just release any tension on them.

Body Lift

Motor Mount Lift

I would do the MML first

Ron

·
Registered
843 Posts
I didn't think about that

I did my lift for the MM's from underneath and never thought about it from up top. Guess it matters which is first if going from the top. But in either case, it's not that bad if you take your time and don't get frustrated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Griz, but more thanks to everyone that has said, hey can you put this in, or just the simple questions about stuff that I thought would be cool to add so we have a reference.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Remember when under the JP on the Drivers Side and you have the 1/2 drive above your face...........DON'T drop it....Freaking hurts when it hits the front teeth and lip.... :?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did the Ron O'Mod method. (Actually with Ron himself supervising.) I have to say I have done other mods using his website as reference and it has been more than helpful. My words of wisdom are to spread the weight of the engine out as much as possible when installing the MML. I put a huge dent in my oilpan when I tried to do it myself the first time. It really helps to have another person available to align things and to give you another perspective. My .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts