Rubicon Owners Forum banner

06' LJ Rubi - better braking optiins and experiences?

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  rubimiketx 
#1 ·
Automatic, 35's, 4.11 gears.

Hydraboost, Big Brake upgrade, upgraded stock stuff, other?

What have you done and experiences?

Thx
Vince.

#4 ·
Lots of good options out there. If I were to buy off the shelf, I'd go with a Vanco big brake kit I think.

On mine I went the DIY route. A bit more involved, but much less expensive compared to any of the pre built kits - and hellacious stopping power. Very significant improvement over stock Centric premium rotors and Black Magic pads. Does require 17" wheels.

Used XJ knuckles. Everything else brand new, WK2 dual piston calipers, yellow stuff pads, Mercedes SL550 13.25" rotors.

New rotor next to old Centric Premium stock rotor.

Write up with part numbers is here - Jeep TJ/LJ Better Brakes – Coyote Stuff

- DAA

#5 ·
16" Vanco's...no problem loaded heavy and 37's.

#7 ·
Automatic, 35's, 4.11 gears.

Hydraboost, Big Brake upgrade, upgraded stock stuff, other?

What have you done and experiences?

Thx
Vince.
We've got the Vanco Big Brake kit and Blaine (mrblaine) added hydro assist steering and hydro assist braking in lieu of the vacuum master cylinder. The hydro assist braking was a tremendous upgrade and we're good on 37s. When you say hydraboost, is that what I just described?

#8 ·
Another Vanco person (LJ on 35s and another LJ on 37s and a big difference compared to my TJ on 35s with stock brakes.

#11 ·
I would think any of the cheaper kits that adapt a larger rotor would be good for a stockish JK. When my wifes stock JKU needs brakes, I plan to go that route, to increase the marginal brake performance. As a side note, my gladiator's brakes are much stronger than the JKU. Of course it is rated to tow, but it would be nice if the JT components adapted to the JK easily.

Reactions: johncanfield
#12 ·
The Vanco (Black Magic) brake set up only requires "aggressive" braking during the specific break in period. Once they are broken in they are used like every other stockish brake set up except that they work a lot better.
Vancp brake set ups give you larger front rotors and front dual piston calipers along with the black magic brake pads.

A less expensive alternative and a slight improvement over stock brakes are the Black Magic centric rotors with Black Magic pads. I ran this set up prior to getting the 16" Vanco big brake kit. They worked fairly well when I was running 33" rubber.

#13 ·
I ran Centric Premium rotors and a couple different premium pads for years on 35's. EBC Yellow Stuff and Black Magic were both noticeably improved over other pads. Black Magic had a better cold bite I think. Yellow Stuff seem to just grab harder the hotter they get. For a panic stop, I'll take the cold bite.

- DAA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.