Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been battling the cam/crank/opda dance for a couple years now constantly in and out of limp mode and running rich/backfiring.. replaced both sensors with mopar ones, the opda with a crown one and the timing chain with a mopar one.. still no luck jeep ran different and usually better after each replacement but now it wont start when its warm out of no where.. starts and runs great cold but once you shut it off its dead in the water just sputters back fires and can barely get off its face to idle for 3 seconds

dont know what to do at this point other than replace the cam shaft.. which i assume requires pulling the rad grill manifolds head valvetrain lifters and timing gears... any knowledge or info on this would be great, it does throw two codes cant remember them at the moment p304 and p338 or something ill get the specific codes and pull the opda out again to get a photo of the cam gear when i can

2005 LJ rubicon 4.0 ~150,000kms

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a thread here on ROF about a newly installed 05 Rubicon Crown OPDA that was faulty. After frustrating adjustments and test drives took it to the dealer and the dealers mechanic figured out the problem and replace the new OPDA with another crown. Problem was to much shaft clearance.

My suggestion is you should take your Jeep into a dealer with a good experience TJ/LJ mechanic and have your Jeep engine issues examined. When you start to get codes it becomes a frustrating experience and hopefully a few hundred bucks of analysis can get you back on the road. Good luck and be patient Jeeps are great but can have weird issues.

·
Administrator
10,556 Posts
Do you get any codes set? I had a catastrophic OPDA failure returning from a trail run in St George, Utah - the engine started running really rough but it didn't improve on its own. Is it possible you have an ignition problem like a bad coil pack? Maybe intermittent low fuel pressure at the injector rail?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the factory opda gear was razor sharp and pretty stiff to turn, idk if the coil pack would be intermittent the jeep does run good sometimes and the codes are cam/crank sensor related p340/p344 maybe.. i have heard of the fuel rail vaporizing when parked hot but it is winter in canada and letting it sit even an hour and cranking it for 2mins straight didnt help

·
Registered
2005 Rubicon LJ
20 Posts
the codes you are setting are both for the camshaft sensor. p0344 camshaft position sensor intermittent, p0340 camshaft position sensor circuit.
Before you do anything you should be doing some electrical diagnostics. start with the basics, check the camshaft sensor connector for water intrusion/corrosion. you need to also check that you do not have a spread terminal at that connector. apply dielectric grease to the connector.
If you have access to a multi meter, you need to verify your resistance to ground. verify you have 4.8-5.0 volts in the 5 volt reference circuit (f856) and verify you have 4.8-5.0 volts in the signal circuit (k44).
One of the other possibilities is that your pcm may be bad. 2005's with an automatic are notorious for pcm's failing.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts