Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same problem getting a u-joint for my 2005 Unlimited Rubicon rear drive shaft. I went to O'Reilly and they looked it up in their system and I bought it. Anyhow it was the wrong size I returned and I brought my original u-joint with me and every part number they had was not the correct u-joint. Long story short I left there with a u-joint that fit and it was u-joint listed for a Jeep liberty. The P/N is a Precision 354 my intent was to get a spicer but none of the local shops carried it. For what it's worth the original u-joint that O'Reilly sold me was a bigger diameter.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
For sure.

I didn't have the time or the desire to mess with mine so I took it to a local driveline shop a couple months ago. Long time, well established, busy driveline shop, always a few Jeeps in the parking lot.

They ended up doing all the head scratching and figuring out how to get a Spicer joint that fit, which it turns out they didn't even have in stock, and told me about it after the fact. None of their Spicer application charts or documentation had it right for the '05-'06 LJ Rubi.

- DAA

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I had the same problem getting a u-joint for my 2005 Unlimited Rubicon rear drive shaft. I went to O'Reilly and they looked it up in their system and I bought it. Anyhow it was the wrong size I returned and I brought my original u-joint with me and every part number they had was not the correct u-joint. Long story short I left there with a u-joint that fit and it was u-joint listed for a Jeep liberty. The P/N is a Precision 354 my intent was to get a spicer but none of the local shops carried it. For what it's worth the original u-joint that O'Reilly sold me was a bigger diameter.

Old thread but valuable information.

O'Reilly's computer shows a Precision 369 which is only 3.218". Way too narrow. After a lot of research and looking at this thread it's the 5-1330 alright which in fact checks with the Precision 354 at 3.62".

I'll be buying one and installing tomorrow. I will report back after my jeep is back on the road. ?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I put the 354 in and it seems fine. The bearing cap has a weird zerk looking thing and a came with a screw to plug the body of the u-joint where a zerk would go. Confusing. I just found a zerk and put it in the body of the joint so I could grease it.

Btw, the u-joint that I pulled out had "352" on it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I put the 354 in and it seems fine. The bearing cap has a weird zerk looking thing and a came with a screw to plug the body of the u-joint where a zerk would go. Confusing. I just found a zerk and put it in the body of the joint so I could grease it.

Btw, the u-joint that I pulled out had "352" on it.

That "weird zerk looking thing" may have been what's called a grease port meant to be greased with a needle adapter on a grease gun. Just make sure the zerk fitting you installed won't get sheared off with movement of the u-joint.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts