Rubicon Owners Forum banner
161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
That is gorgeous! I'm assuming you bought the dash/center console already ready to install? If so that saved you hours and hours and hours of mockup>trial fit>revise>trial fit>etc.

Are you going to use a five point harness? This would be a good time to make/install the mounts for the straps.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Looks like a Genright dash - runs about $1k before shipping. Saves lots of time like John mentioned. It is a very nice piece!

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
yep, genright stuff. But I will say, for a grand, I could not of built it. I can take some detailed pics, but the bends, welds, nutserts installed, the fasteners, design... All more that I would of put together and looked as good.

The center console as well, I would of spent more time trying to figure it all out vs buying it.

Not money I was planning on spending, but at least I am moving forward again, vs going to the garage looking for places to put stuff and finding road blocks.

Over all, more things to get, but the main stumbling block is out of the way. Again, more of a build than I had plans for initially, for the second or third time. I need to work on my aluminum tig work to mount my display, ECU and PCM. But it will be work you will not see, so should be fine :).

And yes @johncanfield , there will be provisions for a 5 point harness. That has always been the plan.

Today I did more garage cleaning out than work on the jeep. I have at least 3 tubs of stuff that will not go back into the jeep.

For example, the wiring harness won't be going back in

·
Administrator
15,271 Posts
thanks all, hoping I can get it back together one day

id be much farther along if the yard and stuff didn't get in my way
there is a material used along the highways to help ground cover grow ...
"Grass Protection Mesh Turf Reinforcement Mesh Plastic Grass Reinforcement Mesh Grass Support Mesh Lawn Netting Grass Parking Net Plastic Protective Netting (0.4m x 4m=(1.3Ft x 13.1Ft), Black) " $17.99 on amazon
Product Sleeve Gesture Rectangle Mesh

or get a professional co to hydro seed spray the ground get a thick layer to keep seeds from washing away

last option is put in a french drain to remove standing water ......

luv the progress on the Jeep 😁

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
thanks @mac

I have looked at that stuff, and having hydro done. Kinda gave up on the yard this year. It has come in fairly well, but overall will hit it again this spring. I put out some annual rye and its been coming up great. Just trying to do soil erosion control.

I have forgotten what and how much I posted about the yard project. I could get another whole thread about it. I was going to do French drains, but while digging around I found another foundation on the property. Its basically a mirror of the house. The water was blocked from leaving by the foundation...

The rain

The foundation

The tractor, cheaper than the labor to look at my water issues

Now to get some food, feed the cats and get out the welder...

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,918 Posts
thanks @mac

I have looked at that stuff, and having hydro done. Kinda gave up on the yard this year. It has come in fairly well, but overall will hit it again this spring. I put out some annual rye and its been coming up great. Just trying to do soil erosion control.

I have forgotten what and how much I posted about the yard project. I could get another whole thread about it. I was going to do French drains, but while digging around I found another foundation on the property. Its basically a mirror of the house. The water was blocked from leaving by the foundation...

The rain

The foundation

The tractor, cheaper than the labor to look at my water issues

Now to get some food, feed the cats and get out the welder...
If I were you, I'd bring the tractor down here so I can take care of it for you till you need it. It'll be safe from theft!

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
If I were you, I'd bring the tractor down here so I can take care of it for you till you need it. It'll be safe from theft!
Crazy thing is, I use the tractor all the time, just on this little acer I have here. Its been so useful overall. I also have 5 acres up in north GA that has needed a small tractor for years. It's been a great purchase, I do need to pick up a rotary cutter for it. The box blade is awesome to work with as well. That and if I needed to sell it, I am sure I would get more than I paid for it. They made me get their insurance policy, covers about everything as well, so all should be good with theft, ha.

I should start renting it out though...

Made good progress, but does not look like it. All parts still strewn around like the chaos that is my garage.

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
I bought a Kubota L2900 (~30 HP) about 1998 to use on our 2.5 acres in Florida. Brought it to our ranch here in Texas and it was just too small for the property so I sold it in 2018 for about $18K - bought it for $20K. So I lost some money on the deal (more than $2K figuring in inflation and the opportunity cost of money) but show me a run of the mill car that can hold its value that much over 25 years!

By the way, my Kubota was a great and reliable machine. I was going to replace it with a much larger model but found a good deal on a cab Deere.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,918 Posts
I bought a Kubota L2900 (~30 HP) about 1998 to use on our 2.5 acres in Florida. Brought it to our ranch here in Texas and it was just too small for the property so I sold it in 2018 for about $18K - bought it for $20K. So I lost some money on the deal (more than $2K figuring in inflation and the opportunity cost of money) but show me a run of the mill car that can hold its value that much over 25 years!

By the way, my Kubota was a great and reliable machine. I was going to replace it with a much larger model but found a good deal on a cab Deere.
My dogs like Deere!

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Dang that dash looks good. Perfect for this build.. it was the right decision specially since you ditched stock gauges anyway.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Dang that dash looks good. Perfect for this build.. it was the right decision specially since you ditched stock gauges anyway.
Thanks. The dash will be great, but it is bringing up some more while I am at it issues. More on that later.

This week was all about layout and figuring what was going to go where. Just trying to make sure everything looks centered and symmetrical where needed.

If you look close you can see the pencil marks, ha. There will be one large whole in the middle of the upper dash piece for the display. Then one round hole to the left for HVAC. At least that is the plan. The display will be mounted to the back support of the dash, then I hope to have a small gap that will be filled up with weather stripping when done.
Not sure what I am going to do about the iPad mount, they have a filler panel and that will pro just go there.

As far as the display, its a Holley 12" pro dash. I could go on why this display, a couple highlights: Modify the Holy ECU I will be running, Controls 4 switched accessories from the tough panel, not that much more than individual gauges with tons of functionality, multiple screen options for different activities. Screen options, tuning, on road, off road, things like that. Touch screen just like a phone. Should be awesome

Besides a Holley dominator, yes overkill, but the ability to do ECU tuning without a laptop should be great. I don't think it will replace it, but I can get more information out of the ECU than the lower priced Holley ECU.

I am completely replacing all the wiring, I have said that, but a PCM will take the main fuse and relay blocks place. The PCM has the ability to set amp limits per circuit and other cool stuff via software. It will make wiring thing up allot simpler. Its like 6x6 and came with a wiring harness. Between this, the ECU and the Dash I will have more than enough control of everything, except my right foot.

Trying to figure out shifter placement as well. The Winters shifter will go where genright cut the hole. I think I will put the cable shifter for the transfer case right next to it, or on the center tunnel. The jury is still out on that one. Not sure I am happy with the different height of the levers in this position, the reason I am thinking of the tunnel mount. I also need to decide on parking brake placement. Just the cuts around the steering column were mind bending for someone who does not do this all the time like me. While its just a jeep, we know how everyone looks at mods we do with a critical eye...

Radio will be a remote mount side by side unit, and the CB or Other radio I will try to remote mount as well. Just the handset with a speaker in the center console would be my preference for the "CB"

So, that's all of of the electronics I have not talked much about, all stock will be gone but the harness on the steering column. I need to sit down and look over my wiring diagram plans again and see if I am missing something. I may not even need any more switches that what the pro dash has to offer. So my panels could be very plain, which I think will look cool.

The last thing that is troubling me is the HVAC. The center of the dash hits the stock evaporator. I can either try to modify the evaporator or just get a smaller aftermarket one. The aftermarket one will be less complex and not have that stupid resistor that controls fan speed. This is another while I am at it thing, but I don think all that much more given the cost I can recoup for the stock evaporator.

Not sure what I didn't cover, but that is the great reveal on the electronics. I have been picking things up over the last few years from sales and open box items. It's a bit of an expensive proposition, but I can't see out of the rabbit hole any more any way. But non stock stuff will be way easier to work with.

Reminders me of some of my comments on wiring issues on other threads. I have been through this wiring harness diagram more than I would like to admit. Trying to figure what to keep, the amp draw, what to drop has been tiresome or fun you choose.

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
Love following the build! Suggest you get a permanent mount FRS/GMRS radio and install the CB in a secondary location. My former national 4x4 club went to GMRS exclusively. When I was leading a trail I always tried to have another ham as tailgunner or volunteer to be a tailgunner.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Love following the build! Suggest you get a permanent mount FRS/GMRS radio and install the CB in a secondary location. My former national 4x4 club went to GMRS exclusively. When I was leading a trail I always tried to have another ham as tailgunner or volunteer to be a tailgunner.
That would be the plan, everyone around here went that way. I just forgot the name of the radio. ha. I did get the license earlier

something else I need to research and buy before the mock up is over.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Made some more progress. Ended up with a new HVAC/Evaporator system from vintage air. It's not only smaller but eliminates some of the issues with the stock one like the resistor for the fan control. Not the total reason I changed it up, but size and controls are a big plus.

Mounting the evaporator gave me room for the ECP and PCM. The stock air ducts were hitting the center console and taking up more space than small tubes the new ones will. So overall super happy with the packaging...

Some pics, I need to place the input panel for the PCM still, have not decided where yet. Holding it where I think it will go. Also need to figure out a good mounting system.

Backing plate for the evaporator

Changing up the brakes as well. Going with dual master cylinders, should be fun.

Backing plate for the master cylinder, I still need to drill a couple more holes.

I'll make another bracket for the drive by wire pedal as well.

Overall moving forward...

I need to review my wiring plan and start on that soon. Ill connect the multifunction switch to the PCM then the PCM to all the stuff...

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
So, it's been a bunch of planning on the wiring. Sounds simple, but the spreadsheet has over 400 lines of what and where do the wires go, how much amperage, when are they active... Thinking I have it planned out, but still not totally sure.

I was testing the mutifunction switch the other day and it didn't work as expected. So I picked up a new cheap one and will see if acts the same way. Hoping to get to that testing today. I just want the switch to be a low power device and have the PDM handle all the power for the lights and such things. Looking at the pin out and applying power to the switch and moving the switches, nothing happened the I thought should happen. The original switch could be bad, or I may no know what I am doing.

So it's those little things that have been going on.

Another crazy or not so crazy frustration. I had to go buy a PC to run the software for the ECU and PDM. Normally a Mac guy and the emulator would not run the software. Needed to be windows 10 or older. So bought last years tablet, seemed better than a cheap PC that I felt would break... Then of course had to downgrade it to 10 to make the software work. That was a day I won't get back...

Also took advantage of some Black Friday deals. My suspension will change a bit, got what appeared to be a good deal, got a call and they needed some more shipping costs and told me the part was miss marked but they would honor the price. They did go change the price, by quite a bit, so I should be happy with the new plan, time will tell. But overall won't be a big change because the suspension is just tacked in place. I was planning to remove the tub to do final welding. This will allow me to resolve a couple issues I was having, and make a few more I am sure.

So, the never ending project will hopefully see some light by the end of the year. That is my hope, as long as the house and holidays don't get in my way. Oh, and shipping delays, I am sure Ill need a bunch more small parts...

No real new pics, maybe later next week.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Theres been a couple of people who have had issues with the multifunction switch. Stinger was chasing issues for a long time (year +)

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,134 Posts
Another crazy or not so crazy frustration. I had to go buy a PC to run the software for the ECU and PDM. Normally a Mac guy and the emulator would not run the software. Needed to be windows 10 or older.
I run Windows 10 via Boot camp on my Mac.
it's exclusively for HP Tuners.

It's a dual boot setup vs running Windows under a Virtual Machine.
It's not too hard to do, you just need a Windows 10 ISO on a USB drive or CD

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I run Windows 10 via Boot camp on my Mac.
it's exclusively for HP Tuners.

It's a dual boot setup vs running Windows under a Virtual Machine.
It's not too hard to do, you just need a Windows 10 ISO on a USB drive or CD
Tried it, I have a M1 Mac and it will only run windows 11. Since it's not an Intel based Mac, the older software wont work. I have ben running parallels for years and they only support 11 on M series Macs.
Boot camp won't work either

161 - 180 of 194 Posts