Rubicon Owners Forum banner
141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I would share

Just bought this Rubi LJ

Pic attached, and I'm in the pic, HA. Stole the pic from the dealer web site. I go back Saturday to pic it up, its hard to drive 2 vehicles home without the trailer.

Plans for it revolve around 44s, and light bars and stuff like that.

Well actually, I may go back to 31s and 15" rims. My dad will be driving it for the next few years. I needed to get him out of the 96 S10 I bought new back in the day. Figured I would put him in this till he isn't driving. Mom does not like driving the S10 now either. So a basically stock rig for the foreseeable future. I hope dad is stoked.
I loved my 05LJ so much. Broke my heart when I traded her in in 2009. Only took until 2022 to get another Jeep

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,134 Posts
Totally agree.

I am pretty self sufficient, but what inline6 is doing is way above my skill level. I have mad respect for the guys that can do this and love watching threads like this.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I'm always amazed to see people dismantle 300 plus parts and put them all back together in better condition.
that's the goal, or maybe 200 parts back in. I plan on re wiring the whole jeep, thinking I have most everything I need, well maybe a couple fuse blocks and relays, but that's about all I will need on that part of the project. Well, and time.

One interesting thing I plan on doing is re-imagiane the multifunction switch. I will only run low amperage through it hoping it will last longer. Things like the headlights will be run off a relay, vs the high amperage feed going through the switch. Lots of service manual reading has been done, a plan is hatched, but needs to be finalized.

That River sure keeps you busy
Ive been trying to grow grass all summer after re grading the yard area, building wet creek beds and the small retaining wall.. The storms come in and wash all the seed away. The retaining wall helped allot with retain gin the seed. I also removed a foot or more material from the swamp area in the pic to hold more water and used the material to level teh yard. I could do sod, but the cost and worried about the same thing. Its kind of driving me crazy. Good thing I am not in a HOA, but hundreds of people walk by daily and its a bit embarrassing, but oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I might have a couple bolts left to take off.

Now on to some body work. The tub needs to be straightened on the passenger side, that should be fun. Then timing the tunnel for the bigger transmission.

Once that is done, thinking some more insulation all around as well.

Guess this is gonna take a while

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
moved the body over to the frame to see what I needed to do to make it fit again. Turns out a bit.

I planned on new body mounts and to basically do a body lift with them, so that needs to be done. But at what height is the main question.

To get the rear axle to stuff as high as I would like, there may need to be a section of the tub opened up for the upper mounts on the axle.
The front of the tub seems closer to the engine than I expected as well.

So lots of little things to sort out.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Found most of my up travel. Now just to find about 1/4 inch of space for the tcase, should be easy peasy. I have room to lower the transmission about 1/2 inch and can find room with the BFH in the tub. No big deal.

Ill be running the equivalent of no body lift.
Trying to decide to keep the wheel base or move it forward a bit.
Also not totally happy with the front axle placement. Its about an inch form being centered due to the pumpkin, drive line and such things. Overall I think it will be fine, just an optical synergy thing. Yes I know it travels side to side with the track bar, but crab walk for life.

Here it is at full bump on the 37s

About ride height, 18.5 belly height, may remove some of the stretch, not sure

Nice low engine placement

Some minor tub mods for the engine to have a bit more space

Tcase clearance with flat belly pan

Now to take it all apart again and get to welding, wiring, bolting, and all the rest...

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
It sitting at about 115" wb, it may get shorter have not totally decided. But with the tub off I figured make it so it can be as much as possible then adjust. I may move the LCA mounts a bit farther up the frame rail so I can make it a bit shorter.

As always the front is more complicated, if I had a smaller axle housing, like a PR60, it might be a bit farther forward and have a bit more up travel. But it is what it is.

Did more test fitting of the rest of the body parts. Pulled the AEV highland off the TJ where it was just for storage and use to live. For reference, the tub is 3" lower than my TJ which had some suspension compromises I bypassed on the LJ. The TJ also has longer travel shocks, these are 12".

Things look good, but thinking I'll drop the front shock mounts down about 1/2 an inch. The tubes for the mounts are to close to the hood for my taste. I do need to mock up the rest of the engine stuff as well. Make sure the intake works good. It's a car LS3 intake so its low and flows great, the truck one would of provided more torque, but thinking 450lbs will be just fine.

If the humidity and multiple other projects didn't get in the way, id be farther along. That and parts availability has been a bit of an issue as well.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
I had one 4x4 shop tell me you can only push the front axle out an inch or two without involving a ton of extra work. The location of the front tire looks like you will have a good takeoff angle.
not sure how much farther forward it is from stock, but the track bar, steering arm and all that are about 1/4 or so apart at full bump. Without rotating the box, not more I can get out of it.

if I went to 40s, which will happen, not sure there is any more need to go forward, as you said, the approach angle is pretty darn good now.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Ive been working on lots of small things that seem simple then cause other issues. So frustration happens, parts get ordered, something else gets into the way.

Sooo, what has been being done. Trying to find a place for the ECU has been fun, I need about a 13/9 location for it and prefer it to not be in the engine compartment. The ECU is potted, but if I install it in the engine compartment it needs to have the connectors pointed down. About the only place that can happen is centrally above the engine. That is about my last choice, but may happen. Thought I could get it someplace inside the dash, but after many hours of this that and the other, nope, well unless the airbag goes. That was not on my list of things to remove...

Seat install has been a pain as well. I have the adapters for the stock seats, but I sit to high in the jeep and my head is above the roll bar. Not sure why I didn't have the same issue in the TJ, but didn't like that in the LJ. got some new mounts and they are to narrow for the seats. So making new mounts for the new mounts... always fun modifying something that should "work". So seat placement with out the roll cage or dash installed is interesting as well. I know where I want the seat will get in the way of the roll bar, just my height... So that is still up in the air.

Another one that came us was the tcase lever hitting a connector on the tcase. Might just be engine, tranny, tcase alignment, but changing out to a cable actuator seemed a better option and then the engine combo can do what it needs to do. Now to figure out a new winters shifter, tcase shifter and hand brake location. Again figure all those out with out seats in the final location. Basically building a custom center console.

At this point, is it really a jeep now or a buggy.

I am tempted to just build a custom dash, center column, new steering column... Just build what I want and fits me and ditch all the stock dash stuff and all that. Might be quicker and what works better for me anyway. Thinking it would like like a YJ dash of sorts, basically a big flat surface for everything... Something like that, I have looked at buying the genright stuff, but afraid I would re make most of it anyway. Not sure how cool I could make it look, but what ever.

Or I just like complex projects and never really want to finish anything any way.

So some frustration with the project, but its good stuff overall.

No real new pictures to add. Just parts piled in the tub.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
So after lots of trying to figure things out, I spent some more cash.

Got it mocked up in about 30 minutes, of course with no instructions of course... Much better than me making one I must admit. But still hurt$$$$. Very well designed, and lots of work went into the design and fabrication of the dash and center console.

Got the display mocked up and ECU mocked up as well yesterday. I need to get the PDM located as well today and the shifter and parking brake set up as well today. Then what ever other controls I want on the dash. I am going to keep it very minimal, I think.

So glad to have some forward progress. This should be the last large analysis paralysis part of the project. HA

141 - 160 of 194 Posts