Rubicon Owners Forum banner
281 - 291 of 291 Posts

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
@Wildrat the entire wiring harness willl be Raychem DR-25 heat shrink. Just trying to figure out all the bundle sizes and then will make an order. I hope to keep each bundle under .5" so I can just buy one roll of 100 roll, and not need larger. Might keep costs down.

The concentric harness almost always has extra wires, the one above for the transmission has 10 filler wires that could be used for other things. But for the transmission that seems unlikely.

rearranged the cabinets for a larger work space and brought down a monitor. Thought I would get more done, not sure that has happened yet.

· Super Moderator
3,999 Posts
@Wildrat, my enlisted career AFSC was 45456 that changed to 2A656. Once commissioned that all changed 13S then 13N.

I really appreciate the extra effort on the wiring seen here. :cool:

· Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
3,253 Posts
@Wildrat, my enlisted career AFSC was 45456 that changed to 2A656. Once commissioned that all changed 13S then 13N.

I really appreciate the extra effort on the wiring seen here. :cool:
So it looks like they had an afsc change after the 423XX to the current. So you were acft elctro/enviro tech. When did you go in the service, some time in the mid 80s t0 90?
Hmm, maybe they had made the change to 454xx. I seem to vaguely remember the change toward the end of my time.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
I just looked up the shrink. It says flexible, how flexible is it? Is it as flexible as the expandable braided sleeve?
@Wildrat the simple answer, yes that is what it is designed for. Recovered is just as flexible. Now the expansion braided may be a bit more flexible, but does not provide for any water intrusion prevention that the DR will. Especially if I get all technical and epoxy the connectors and the joints. They make some cool boots that start out as a "H" then end up as a "T" if that is what the intersection calls for, even down to different sizes per leg.

Doing more designing today and figuring out what connectors and wire I still need. As I keep laying things out I learn more and more. The Power Distribution Module part is fun and irritating at the same time. The main PDM only have 16 circuits, they go quick when using it for all the lights and little things. One thing I am trying to decide on is having two remote PDMs at either end of the tub. One basically for the high amp engine compartment stuff and one for the fuel tank air compressor and such things in the rear of the jeep. It might make some of the wiring easier, single power lead to four basic main components; Starter, Main PDM, PDM A, PDM B, then a couple constant on power leads for the ECU and Dash. if I go this route ill just run the power leads separate. If not, then I need to run multiple 10/12s on longer runs, that I don't have now, vs just 4 0-2 AWG wires to the said locations.
Leaning to the 4 point power plan vs discrete runs within the control cables. Although it will not be as clean of a harness, having a separate power harness and control harness. I think it would be ok though.

thanks @Mouse this is a bit more than I thought I would do, but its all part of the fun.

Found out that I didn't order coil connectors or the correct injector connectors. One I figured out earlier in the week, the other just today. So, another parts order...

The cats just enjoy having more things to knock down, that and me in another part of the house I usually don't sit in.

· Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
3,253 Posts
It just hit me. Raychem products were one of the things the AF taught me in high reliability soldering school. I don't know why they called the school that, because those wafer connectors were iffy in my mind. They worked great, but if who ever soldered them did not pay attention you would get intermittent connections, which was a nightmare to find. Ask me how I know? What's worse, it came from GD.

· Super Moderator
3,999 Posts
So it looks like they had an afsc change after the 423XX to the current. So you were acft elctro/enviro tech. When did you go in the service, some time in the mid 80s t0 90?
Hmm, maybe they had made the change to 454xx. I seem to vaguely remember the change toward the end of my time.
Jun '87 to Jul '20

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
I was scheduled for the high reliability soldering school, at the NASA Ames facility in Mountain View, but never attended because I got orders to leave. Would have been interesting. Looks like similar years of service fro a few of us, well a cross over during my years in the late 80s.

On the jeep...

Ok, so an epiphany about this concentric wiring harness made me re think everything. So good stuff. I now plan to use the center console as the power distribution center and do the cable runs from there. It will solve a couple issues, but mostly will result in shorter runs for high amperage circuits and that will let me use the cable I already have. The other thing I realized with wiring this way, you typically have way more wires than you need. While that is some waste, it also means I don't need to be so concerned with how many circuits are in an area. Since the cable bundle will have more wires than the area needs, then I will only connect the ones I need, the rest are spares or I forgot about that. At least that is the current thought.

I really didn't want large live power cables running though the jeep at all times. My plan from the earlier note was not ideal in my mind and was giving me concerns, so its not going to be used.. The batteries will go behind the seats and have a cut off switch. That will make for short runs to the console and only one longer run to the starter, after the cutoff switch, I may even be fancy and do some sort of solenoid to only activate that circuit when starting, but that would just be showing off. I do need to have a couple raw power runs to the ECU and Display, but everything else will go through some sort of PDM. I'll probably get. some circuit breakers for the couple always on devices, so there will be no fuse at all in the jeep.

With all that in mind, I am building 3-5 bundles. One for each front corner and one for the rear. I may include the engine harness in the front bundles, but doubt it after getting the first bundle about done. Thinking I will burry more spare wires than I would just building a stand alone engine harness to two. The engine harness will just have the O2 sensors as the core, then off to the injectors, coils and sensors. Should be a quick and easy build, vs the big ones for the front corners. Not only are they long, but heavy will all that wire within them.

The front bundles are built as follows: base layer, 4 10 gauge, 4 18 gauge wires, second layer 19 18 gauge wires. This is well more than any corner needs, but allows for the fog lights and radiator to get the power they need to run, then the 18 gauge will be sufficient for all the other things like headlights, turn signals, and any other things I need to control. This bundle is just over .5 inches so I think I will leave it at that. It has a single add drop location, I put a drop out to connect to the block for a ground. It was a bit of a challenge to wrap around, but will be good. The fewer drop out locations the better, no need for those fancy heat shrink boots. I will need to do some connectors on the ends to connect to the end points, and something for the spare wires.
The rear bundle may just be the same thing, but longer for the tail lights. Larger wires are needed to accommodate teh hard top and the power that thing needs. Not that I really plan on running it all that much, but if I don't accommodate for it, I'll regret it one day. I need to do some excel work and could up the high power circuits.

I moved my vice into the entry area and made a wiring shop today. Good think I live alone, this may not of passed muster with a SO.
The barber chair served at the other anchor end, another project I need to get to

Base layer

spagetti

about 12 feet complete of 15, after about a total of 7 hours after I moved the vise into the house. This bundle was challenging due to the amount of wires and their profanity to be come spaghetti.

Trying different technics on building the harness, but they all seem to have their issues. If you wrap a large bundle, then they spaghetti. If you try to do one at a time, you can't establish an appropriate twist pattern. eggs and chicken chasing ducks

While I didn't get as much don't this week, there is a clear path forward. Hoping I can build the rest of the harnesses going this week and get all the other connectors ordered. I need to really think through all the connectors I need and over buy cause ill forget something, ha.

But an over all woohoo, paths forward and progress.

· Administrator
12,298 Posts
I learned soldering in high school. When I was going to college I had a part time job on the assembly line for ground to air radios - they were all discrete components and point to point wiring. One of the young gals (she took a shine to me) taught me how to hold long nose pliers and side cutters to reduce arm fatigue. (You hold them perpendicular to your hand.)
--------break-------

Egad, what a mess of wires - they all have their own mind. I've never ever tried to make a wire bundle that size, hopefully I won't need to ever :).

281 - 291 of 291 Posts