Rubicon Owners Forum banner
221 - 240 of 291 Posts

· Premium Member
3,432 Posts
It’s been a while since I checked in and it was exciting to see all the progress. I look forward to this coming together and running!

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
It’s been a while since I checked in and it was exciting to see all the progress. I look forward to this coming together and running!
thanks, its been a longer process than I thought, but then again I changed everything at least twice...

So this week has been a couple short night working on a transmission cross member. It's all but mocked up, but of course I don't have the correct size bolts. Ordered some, because I have not found a good source of fine thread long bolts around here. The large box home stores don't ever seem to have what I need... So, a couple days for some bolts. I also of course measured 5 times, then remembered the measurement wrong, cut tube, tacked, went to do fitment, there went a ling of DOM I won't get back. Hoping I can use it elsewhere at some time.

Then the engine skid will be in the works. But that may need to wait for final drive shaft and control arms to make sure.

As for control arms, looking like the fronts will be about 37 inches and the rears about 42 inches. Same approx length front and rear. Thankfully my rear lowers will become me front lowers. Trying to decide if I am going aluminum again for the links, or just make some DOM ones.

Also need to bottom out on teh Steering link and trackbar. On the steering, of course it's not simple. The genright steering arm takes a heim joint with I think a 7/8 threaded insert needed. The UD60 steering arm takes a ball joint with a taper, then into a 1-1/4 threaded end. So I either need to make a link with the two different ends, or have one made. Or I ditch the ball joint end and drill out the arm for a hem joint, or weld a mount to the arm as well. The trackball is a similar issue, 2-5/8 joint at the frame, heim joint at the axle. The frame size is at least a 1 inch threaded insert, or weld tube to a sieve. The later is probably the answer. Just one more thing to order and decide on.

Not sure I would say I have had great planning on this project, but oh well. Getting closer every day. The ramble of the day for this project.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
No real progress, this thing got in the way. A three hour tour became a two week adventure.

Was just upgrading the trackball with one with larger bolts. Dodge went from a 14mm to a 16mm over the production run. I of course have the 14mm and the holes have worn over the years. Of course I ordered the wrong new bolts, some how got 18mm bolts and had to return and hope the 16s get here soon. Or I will just go with 5/8 bolts and DIY nut with retainer arm, what ever its called. I'll just weld on an arm to hold the nut in place while tightening it. Was hoping to use the OEM ones, but need to get my jack stands back to get back to feeling safe under the LJ.

The only significant progress, other than measuring 55 times for control arms and doing the analysis paralysis on Aluminum vs DOM links.

Transmission cross member all mocked up, still need to finish weld and gusset the mount area.

All I need to do now is measure the frame width and make sure it's in spec and that the belly pan will drop accordingly as needed. Thinking I may need to shorten up the cross member by a 1/16 or so. That and figure where a rear cross member will go to help with the frame rigidity as well.

Hoping to get those jack stands back under the jeep soon.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Got some stuff done, not as much as hoped because of some mistakes I made, planning was not spot on.

It was control arm day, got the rears mocked up. They are 42" for the uppers and lowers. I was going to inset an aluminum slug in the tubes, but the tube was a bit to big or the slug a bit to small. I may try and remove a couple thousands, but I really don't have the tools.

The workbench and mockup up drill press to drill for plug cut welds. Not sure I need them, but ill have therm.

I also ended up needing some new JJs, thought I had what I needed. Turned out a couple were seized and the change to double adjustable lowers turned into a trip to summit racing. So, there went a few hours this morning. Glad they are fairly close and had them in stock. I was also going to make the lowers single adjustable, but didn't because of the length of the tube I had.

So, the 42" control arms. All 2.0 x .25 DOM I wanted to stay with 2.0 because I knew there would be CA to Frame clearance issues. I didn't want aluminum, costs have just gone crazy and the 2.5 tube would be a bit to big. .

I have a piece of 4130 that would make one rear LCA, I may go that route and get another piece for the rear LCAs, not sure. I'll see if I can sleeve it easier than the DOM, if so that may be the answer for stronger LCAs, if I really need them. That or I will just cary a spare on the trailer.

Fronts tomorrow, should take a bit less time, since there are only 3 of them and I have some mock up arms already there. Not as much guessing and measuring will be needed.

The front shocks and bump stops all around. I keep remembering things I have not done yet.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Beautiful
thanks (y)

Today, besides the control arms, which I may not do depending what I will look at first, is steering and track bar. Again, I have mock up arms up front and the placement of all this stuff may dictate some wheelbase changes.

On the steering here is my dilemma. The steering arm on the box has a heim joint with a 7/8 rod end. The axle side has a TRE with 1-1/4 rod end on a bent arm. Not sure I need the bent arm or not, but I have a straight one as well that could be used. One problem with using them is in the tube adapters, finding a 7/8 tube adapter for a 1.5 in tube has been my dilemma. I probably need to do some more googling, but also not sure I want that think of a link, or if one will fit ok. I could also convert the axle side to a heim by drilling out the tapered knuckle seat and just going to a 5/8 or 7/8 heim there. Probably the simplest thing to do, except for the drilling of the knuckle. I could order a custom arm form some place, but I need to be sure on the actual number I need and if something at least 1.75" will fit...

Then on the track bar, it's somewhat similar but different. The axle side is a 7/8 heim, as I recall, the frame side is for a 2-5/8 joint. So here I have a 1" JJ I could use there, but need to do the tube adapter shuffle on the bar, more google. Or I can use a barrel and weld a bar to it of the correct size for the other end. This may be my go to for this, as I have all the parts today, I think.

Then, there's more, of course. I need to make sure I can get the hydro assist ram to mount in all of this.

Then make control arms, which I swear took me about an hour each to get done yesterday.

I have been putting this off for a while.

As for a weight update
Thinking the control arms come in at just under 25 each, so 175 estimate.
Total should be 2150 at this point.

· Administrator
12,298 Posts
Why is one of the rear upper control arms sitting on top of the diff instead of offset like the other one? My former LJ was 4-linked but the control arms were symmetrical.

BTW - I love that drill :love:

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Why is one of the rear upper control arms sitting on top of the diff instead of offset like the other one? My former LJ was 4-linked but the control arms were symmetrical.

BTW - I love that drill :love:
The drill is quite handy. Off topic a bit but as covid started I upgraded a bunch of my tools, glad I did prices are stupid now. The new welder is the one I noticed the most siginificant price hike on, almost double. I have had that drill for a few years, I need to make a better drill table mount for it to make it more multipurpose. Lots of good ideas on you tube about magdrill mounts. Thinking I first noticed one here years ago, but I don't recall who was using one. I knew then I needed one...

As for the mounts, think it's an optical illusion for you. They are both on top of the diff on the artec truss. it does have them at a bit of an angle though. They are even and symmetrical though.

I also should have said it took me 4 or so hours to figure out the arm lengths and mock them all up. Going back and forth to get just the right legnth was a pain. Probably being too picky, but tried to only have about 1/2 inch of total adjustability. I was almost thinking of non adjustable ones, but that would of sent me into analysis paralysis, like I am not already there.

Also hoping this week I can un pack all the new stuff for this thing, take inventory and see what I bought 2-5 times over and what I still need. I know I need to make a decision on brake lines and I don't have all the stuff, but I think I have about everything else a couple times over.

Off to the garage...

· Administrator
12,298 Posts
....As for the mounts, think it's an optical illusion for you. They are both on top of the diff on the artec truss. it does have them at a bit of an angle though. They are even and symmetrical though......
Ah-so! I'm having more and more optical delusions, ah, I mean optical illusions 🤠

I was loading up on spare parts for HVAC and everything else I could think of during the China Virus event due to depressed prices. Way, way back when we were in a recession (~2007-08) there were amazing tool deals which I took advantage of.

Reactions: Mouse

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Got the steering and trackball parts ordered. Of corse I didn't have what I needed or could find. Once that is done, the final font axle position will be figured out. I should be aobut 115 WB when all is said and done. I probably measured 500 times over the weekend to make sure things were square and accurate while figuring the steering out.

I have a bit of room left to move the axle back as well, that's about an inch of space

Finished the transmission cross member last night as well.

Tacked up the body mounts, thinking this was pre tack

While I wait for that, hoping for a week of small successes on small projects. I need to run the fuel line, get shifter and tcase linkage set up, and what ever else frame side with the body off will be easier. Then time to put the body on and work on some of those little things as well. I need to get things out of boxes and on the jeep.

I need to start wiring as well, not sure if I am going to wire computer to End point or end point to computer. I should have a good schematic and a plan, but its been a couple months since I obsessed about that part.

One day soon I may have a cleaned up garage and storage area. Soon I say, soon.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
worked on a bunch of little things during the week. Thinks like Transmission shifter cable, tcase cable, then started on the fuel lines. Got stalled on the fuel lines, needed some more parts, just got those yesterday. I am changing to a different fuel pump, not sure why just wanted to replace the 20 year old pump as a precaution and not totally sure I think the stock pump will support 450 HP. I am putting in an aeromotive pump assembly, extra baffles and all that. Problem is there is no provisions built in for a fuel gauge. So now I need to add one or always guess. Ordered up a tube style fuel level sensor. Now I need to drill a hole in the genright tank to install it. Should not be a big deal, just need to do it right the first time. Well, that was yesterday's planned project.

I started to work on the jeep, yesterday, then went out in the yard to look around. I had most of a 100 foot retaining wall stop retaining and fell over. That now has some priority in time and cash flow... Project stalled out again by the house...

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Thanks @elff

Got a couple hours into small projects tonight. But first, some bling.

Installed the tranny and oil dipsticks the other day. They are Lokar parts and don't do anything any more functional, but bling. Final location TBD, but Oil will bolt to the headers and Transmission to the firewall.

Then the shifters, winters for the transmission and JB Custom for the t-case. I needed a more flexible tcase shifter option and this is the one I found. I still need to figure the internal mounting locations for the t-case shifter and if the cable is long enough. That and how to get them through the body and all that...

Now for the fuel stuff. The pile of parts on the tank, fuel pump, fuel level sending unit, E85 compatible hose, fuel pressure sensor, and a bunch of adapters. That and a fuel sensor that will let me run different fuel maps for different fuel types, say E85 vs 92 vs 89 stuff. Hoping I can figure out how to program all that stuff in the ECU, auto adapt to the fuel in the system.

My high tech method to keep drilling shards from entering the tank while drilling.

The fuel baffle, and some cool little one way valves to help prevent fuel starvation at different angles.

The fuel pump and the housing, the housing is self regulation and set up for a returnees system. Lots of little modification to this and the yellow part of the baffle to get the right depth for everthing.

finished product with the fuel sensor level mounted, but I need to order a few longer bolts.

The other part of the fuel system involves filtration and sensors. Fuel sensor hangs off the fuel line and the fuel type sensor is in line. Thinking this is where it all will live, but I need some room to drill the mounting holes and such things. I'll figure it out when I pull the drivetrain for the "final" time. Fuel line in the background as well, its relaxing tonight and hopefully will be easier to manipulate after being coiled up since manufactured.

Thats tonights quick recap, I need to sleep on the final placement of the last couple parts and the hose routing. But thinking this is it. for the fuel system.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Put the tub on real quick tonight, will try to get the inside and front stuff mocked up with it on. Then hopefully off one more time for paint and any final welding.

Weight 675 or so for the tub.

Thanks @johncanfield its been an interesting time with this project...

Oh, figured out a better solution for the fuel sensor, so another part on order. Also just received the rest of my front suspension link stuff.

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Where's the gun turret going?
Not sure I need any more distractions.

On that point, any one need any cinder block?!? Not only will the 40 foot section get removed, there is another 60 foot section that needs to go as well. It was and is not retaining anything but water and crap. It's a bit of an eyesore and glad I have an excuse to remove it, but not in this quarter/years plan. Oh, new grass or something similar as well, yeah.

The orange pipe is an old gas line, long decommissioned. I have cut it way back and got that eye sore out of the way.

It's been raining, so I have got a couple small tasks done on the jeep. I set the tub back on the jeep and got the front steering and track bar arms mocked up.

Hope to get the front upper shock mounts re installed and make it a roller today.

Then I can determine final wheelbase and control arm length. Looking to be about 115 inch wheelbase. If I leave it that long, I'll need to figure out my rear corner armor, again.

I will say, the 37s kind of look small now compared to the amount of fender clearance. It's basically on the bump stops in the pic. Hope to have more updates during the small game tomorrow.

221 - 240 of 291 Posts