More practice welding is always good thing. Tough to compare my welds to professionals...
Got some more work done
The new oil pan required a modified windage tray. The oil pan is about 4 inches shorter that the one from the crate engine. I also added a baffle to the sump to help with off camber oil starvation issues.
Bolted the engine to the transmission and stabbed it in the frame. Then installed the gas tank to make sure of front and read axle clearance.
I like the font driveshaft and control arm clearance provided by the new sub frame. It fixed all my concerns in that area. What it does not do is provide more belly pan clearance, I am sure there is more than stock, but it's about 2 lower than what I was planning. But that is just the center section, I Ould of had the LCA mounts hanging down that low any way. So it's a nice flat section from LCA to LCA. Should not really be in impact off road. Nice 1/4 inch plat to slide over.
I went to install the transfer case and lost energy last night. Because of the belly pan and engine place meant, I should have plenty of room to clock the case how ever I want. The cross member I need to make will allow the belly pan to be removable with the driveline still supported. In fact the belly pan will not support it at all, there will be that 2-3 inch gap for the most part. I may go ahead and gusset the front and rear sections of the pan, but 1/4 inch plate will be hard to bend...
The transmission pan should be easy to set up as well, again lost of clearance.
I didn't take this pic, but the exhaust fits fight above the LCA mount and is also determining the engine height/angle. I should not say determining, the engine angle is correct and the pipe is right above the LCA.
If I had used the genright engine mounts, they may of placed the engine lower in the frame. That is what they state. Looking at the front axle clearance, not sure I could drop the engine any more. But they also use a rock jock front axle and move the mounts around a bit to get more clearance. I don't really think that would have made that much of a change in placement. But never know, they modeled all this stuff in CAD and came up with their design.
That was the work from the last couple days, changing my expectations and goals to be done this quarter. Its a challenge of time, projects and cashflow...
Once all this is mocked up, it will be taken apart again for some sort of paint. That should be an adventure in itself. I noticed I have not put a new tag in the jeep since 2019, gotta get done.