Rubicon Owners Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Yes the GenRight stretch looks badass actually. Too bad you can’t just buy a frame already setup and painted then add all the aluminum trim and tub panels. They could take frames in as cores.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
lots of parts driving, the long pole in the tent appears to be an output shaft for a 4l60. so no transmission work will happen till December.

other than that, I hope to do a bunch of tear down this weekend.

Hmmmm, I should get some 42s. its funny how the TJ platform can handle many tire sizes and look right.

·
2,111 Posts
Add to my comment, I never saw him drive it. He had a teenaged girl behind the wheel and he must’ve walked at least a third of that trail while he guided the rest of his group. We hooked up with him at the waterfall. I was with one other stock Rubi and we were rookies with Moab traction. He brought us under his wing and the rest was history. He was a great teacher. “Ok, now give it some authority.”

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
I signed up to be a trail leader for a trail in St George (UT) and the day before, Rubi's OPDA took a dump so I was Jeepless. Not to be a quitter I rode with a friend in his 4-door and when we got to the trailhead I got our and led the trail on foot. It was quite a challenge being on 2-leg drive instead of 4WD. But we got through it.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Still waiting on some parts, like a transmission output shaft. Once it gets here, I can start the transmission search and get one rebuilt.

The engine is coming along nicely, I did paint the block some orange engine paint I had sitting around. It could be Chrysler orange or chive orange, depending on what color orange you think it is. I Las had some black paint around for the other parts. Its kind of a pumpkin, but that goes with the jeep color schema overall anyway.

Ive been planning on running a holly terminator system, and bought one. I don't like the plug and play harness, lots of slop in the harness around the engine. Also need short adapters for the different sensors for the LS3 Intake and DBW throttle body. Makes for a sloppy install IMHO.
I have two or more plans to resolve that issue. One is to rework the holly harness to my liking, two is a new harness from holly, or three go with a totally new controller and diy harness. I will look at option one again today, and if its more of a pain than option 2 or three in my time, then one of those will happen. Sometimes its harder to de assemble a harness and re work than start fresh.
I would like to keep the DBW, but that also means I may loose some other functions, like cruise control. Thinking I could utilize the stock computer and its cruise control if I had DBC, but I really don't know for sure.
Also thinking of just ditching all the stock wiring and just doing a custom harness in the whole jeep. There really isn't that much in the jeep and cleaning up would be nice as well. Then run the whole thing on one computer and don't even bother keeping the stock one that will fail anyway. The only stock thing to keep would be the airbag controller and AC/Heater assembly, that is all basic non computer stuff any way. Trying to read up on the wiring diagrams and make sure I am correct about that part.

Tooooo many random thought while waiting on parts to show up.

Holly LS mounts, headers and crossover. still waiting on the crossover to get manufactured, mounts here headers arriving today. The physical aspect of the build will be the easiest.
I went with the holly mid mount system for all the accessories, figured that was way easier. I did need to convert to a different PS pump for the remote tank, that kind of sucked, vs the one provided.
Advanced adapters output shaft, that will ship come day, "early DEC". Didn't feel the need for an atlas or the cost.
Superior Radiator for the, you guessed it radiator, about 1/2 the price of others. I may order another for a spare, LOL.
I have truck coils, so had to get a custom mount for them, of course. I picked them up for a bit of a deal, I think.

So, yes, allot of holly stuff on this project. They have quite the conversion guide...

Thats really about it, not allot of swap components specific to the jeep. Most of it is figuring out all the sensors and wiring for the engine. All the little parts needed are a pain to figure out. I have a manual for the long block and what it needs. The Intake didn't come with one and finding into out is a pain. Lots of internet research to get everything together. Hoping I get it all figured out and set up correct, its just an engine right.

I may do a digital dash and just dump the stock cluster, will cost a bit more, but alleviate allot of headache and look cool, lol.

Some pics

I was going to pull the tub a couple weeks back, but delays in parts kept me from doing it. Not sure if I will pull the tub now, but it will make things easier. Just not sure I have the room to store it here, it may need to sit outside for a bit.

So, lots of ordering and researching of parts for the project. Only part I didn't need so far is the PS pump, but I will put it up for sale soon.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have two or more plans to resolve that issue. One is to rework the holly harness to my liking, two is a new harness from holly, or three go with a totally new controller and diy harness. I will look at option one again today, and if its more of a pain than option 2 or three in my time, then one of those will happen. Sometimes its harder to de assemble a harness and re work than start fresh.
I would like to keep the DBW, but that also means I may loose some other functions, like cruise control. Thinking I could utilize the stock computer and its cruise control if I had DBC, but I really don't know for sure.
Also thinking of just ditching all the stock wiring and just doing a custom harness in the whole jeep. There really isn't that much in the jeep and cleaning up would be nice as well. Then run the whole thing on one computer and don't even bother keeping the stock one that will fail anyway. The only stock thing to keep would be the airbag controller and AC/Heater assembly, that is all basic non computer stuff any way. Trying to read up on the wiring diagrams and make sure I am correct about that part.
I don't know if this will be of any help, it sounds like he was tackling similar issues that he ultimately resolved.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
on the engine and all that, I have a Gen 3 block, with Gen 4 heads. Makes for part of the issues.

Gen 3 Controllers don't like GEN 4 Throttle Bodies, so there are some gotchas there I didn't know about. I pretty much have it worked out in my head, just a bunch of wiring.

interesting thread, I though about a total take out package. But all I was finding was either Gen 5s, that have their own issues. Or 150-200K Engines and Transmission for more than I wanted to pay...

It will all be good, once I get some more parts and start the real work.

·
3,779 Posts
I'm using a Holley Sniper EFI on my scrambler and the wiring was very long. I de-pinned a few circuits and made the wiring a much more reasonable length. It came out cleaner (still could do more, but is driving wonderfully)

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,286 Posts
Looks like a nice build. The shop that did my 5.3l swaps used the novak kit.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I have some Novak stuff coming, trying to get all the transmission output shafts here so I can get a transmission built. I have 2 on order from 2 of the main companies, no ETA, well a continual slipping ETA from one. The other said theirs will be in stock next week, time will tell. I guess I will end up with a space and or just storing space parts, or getting ready for another V8 swap.

Talked to Novak about doing a transmission for me, they were going to be about $1k higher than doing it local with their output shaft.

I really like all the info they have, Novak, and what they have done for the market place. But that premium is to much for me.

If this was a trail only rig, I would be pulling all the factory wiring and re doing the whole thing. I may still some close to that anyway. These are really simple rigs when you get down to it. Save for a couple safety items.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts