Rubicon Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
On the dogs comment. A couple things, I typically like dogs, but not the owners. I have been lunged at to many times over the years. Not the dogs fault at all.

On to me having dogs, I don't have the time to be on their schedule. I usually travel enough during the week to not be fair to them. I would hate to have dogs and have them spend more time in a kennel than at home. I also don't have a completely fenced yard, only the front is fenced, the back up the rock wall is open. My neighbors dog is over all the time. So any outside time would be supervised and on a leash of some sort. Not all that great for the dog either.

I get cats have their issues as well, but you are inside my home and are aware of them when entering. I also only need to fee them when they bug me, they can go to the bathroom on their own. Cleaning up the litter isn't that big of a deal a couple times a week. I run more litters than cats, it makes the issue not a big deal.

I know its a polarizing subject, but just my experience and feelings.

Back on topic, I didn't get to the jeep today. I did take tomorrow off and hope to make some decisions.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,911 Posts
That house is cool as hell and gigantic!! I love it.

The wife and I joke that we have a farm vs a family. We recently lost a 20yr old cat to old age, but still have 2 Greyhounds and 2 cats. Our remaining 2 cats are both 17 and sisters. I am not sure what we do special, but our cats really live long healthy and happy lives. I like to joke that the one cat is just a small dog, because she really does not have a cat personality. The other cat is also super friendly but way more cat like.
Our Greyhounds are super chill and uber friendly. Also fast as hell.

For your work schedule, I 100% agree on your assessment of owning a dog. They require more time and it's really not fair if you would not be there to spend time with them. Cats are more independent and probably are happy when you go on a business trip.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
11,839 Posts
Our cat count was up to six, two inside and four barn cats. One was a really good mouser and we miss her for her friendly personality and her hunting skills. Four passed away in the last year due to old age. We've had cats for decades and just in the last six years we decided to add dogs to the family. Since we stopped leaving Texas every summer to go wheeling I'm thinking about building a chicken coop and keeping five or six layers.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
well, ordered motor mounts, so the tear down will begin soon.

now what engine and transmission to pick???

figured I have nto driven it in a couple years, may as well just do it all now. Ill kick myself if I don't.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
well, ordered motor mounts, so the tear down will begin soon.

now what engine and transmission to pick???

figured I have nto driven it in a couple years, may as well just do it all now. Ill kick myself if I don't.
Just get going on it, can’t wait to see that part of the project start. An eight speed would sure be sweet. the newer Jeeps have that option but not sure what practical options are out there for our rigs. I’m really happy with the 6l80, it’s all in the tuning.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Just get going on it, can’t wait to see that part of the project start. An eight speed would sure be sweet. the newer Jeeps have that option but not sure what practical options are out there for our rigs. I’m really happy with the 6l80, it’s all in the tuning.
Ill need to go back and see what engine and transmission package you ended up with. Seems no one wants to make an adapter from the 6l80e to the rubi transfer case. That would leave a standard transfer case or an atlas as the one to mate up to the 6l80e. Not sure I want that option and cost and time delays. An atlas is 6 months out or more...

·
Registered
893 Posts
I ordered shocks in April and just got them last week. I doubt you will have that kind of delay but remember to be patient.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
now for everything else, more ordering, online researching, waiting, and some day digging into it.

Parts shortages will delay the start and completion, how couldn't it.

Sounds like my luck. Fuel, parts, food... luxuries. The puppeteers are about to pull everything back on us, I can’t spend money fast enough.

Green Terrestrial animal Packaging and labeling Packing materials Machine

• Wow
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
lol on the TP, I do seem to by a package of TP every time I go to Costco. I am good on TP for years...

Parts are showing up, no on mentioned the crate on the cart in front of the LJ. That I thought was the most important part. Turns out, everything that goes on it is up there as well.

Its almost as fun of a research project as the actual project will be.

a couple more systems to decide on, then what is in stock. Hope to be able to pull the body for this project, ill give that a go in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Now curiosity is up.. what’s in that crate...?

o_O

Reactions: Mouse

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
I just not sure how well a stock np241j would hold up to some V8 engines. A 5.7 Hemi is probably fine but start to put 400 hp or more and you may have problems which is probably why LS options are slim to none. Also 241j is becoming a rare case.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
its a Gen 3 6.0 block, with Gen 4 LS3 heads, 450HP or so. New in teh box, I hope to pull it this weekend and get it on a stand so I can move it out of the way a bit easier. It will probable come inside the house for storage and the cats will sleep on it I am sure. It will be covered...

Deciding on induction and controller now. Hood clearance is an issue as is cost. May just do stock LS3 car intake, cheapest and from what I have been researching one of the best... Lots of cool intake options, but looking for low end torque vs high end horsepower.
Controllers are a confusing subject, well adding tuning into the equation is what becomes more confusing. Stock controller and EFIlive, or Holly and their system. Feels like the costs are close at the end of the day, but there are a 6-12 controller options, then a couple tuner options, then wiring. Heck, the wiring seems like the easiest to me.

Was hoping to use the stock case behind a 4L60 variant, built up a bit of course with the correct output shaft. A 6L80 required different controller and an Atlas for sure, no one wants to make the adapter to the stock rubi case. With an Atlas being 6 months out, and controlling the 6L80 being an issue, figured the 4L6x would be fine.

whew, brain is spinning with all these options.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Let me know if you ever decide to sell the t-case.. I need one for my LJ. I was stupid and sold the one out of my TJ after holding on to it for my LJ. I thought I was selling the LJ and the let t-case go. I’ll have about 330 hp when I finally install the 5.7 and the 545rfe.

There are some really cool aftermarket gauge clusters as well they look great in a TJ bezel. Have so many modern info. Been watching some sick LJ builds on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
It is tempting to ditch all remnants of the tj/lj platform and just go all custom, the next couple months will be interesting.

Ill let you know.
Please do. Bout to start a TJ to LJ stretch and start frame up. Be nice to make a custom aluminum frame and go from there. Electric if I can figure it out. May have found the Jeep in NH. We’ll see.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
the genright kit looks interesting for the TJ to LJ conversion. Well the whole kit actually. I like that you can still run a stock tank, or one of theirs in the back. As compared to most back half kits that require a fuel cell. Might need to look at my TJ for the same thing. Although, I would also consider a WOD LJ chassis and just stretch the body to fit with the Genright kit. Hmmmm, that might just be the ticket....

trying to find all the parts I need to run a 24x engine with a LS3 DBW throttle body is fun. Looks like I may go to DBC instead. Research on this is fun and annoying at the same time.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts