Rubicon Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Wow, you have some nice Miller equipment there! My Hobart Ironman 250 has a very good duty cycle, I've never had it shut down on me even on thicker stock. My plasma torch is a Hypertherm 45 which is compatible with a CNC table with the appropriate torch.
I finally realized why I was getting some bad welds, the welder was giving up. No indication except for a crappy weld right after good ones. The gun was starting to get wonky as well, so looked at new guns....

I did a bunch of looking at other welders the next step up. I looked at the 250, thinking it is better than the MVP. The "deal" on this one made it the choice. I like lots of the features, I am yet to try pulse MIG, should be interesting. I need a different mix tank for that. The gun is worlds better, and the 15' cord on the gun.

The plasma I have had for years, it works great as well. Looked at others at the time and this was not much more. More choices now, not sure what I would pick now. Its been great though.

·
Administrator
11,468 Posts
I've always thought of Miller as the gold standard for welding equipment. I bought a Miller Diversion 180 TIG for occasional use, it's a very basic box but they set up the TIG to work well for almost any situation. It's also simple to use. Never heard of Pulse MIG.

My Ironman is the 230 model not the 250 (oops) but it will do 1/2" in a single pass - plenty of capacity for me. The 250 might be a new model though. The only complaint I have is the cord is fairly stiff but maybe that helps wire feeding, I've never had a feed problem. I've probably run six or seven 10 pounds spools of .035 wire with zero problems.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I am really bad at updating this, Covid made me step up part of the project. I would of been done, but...

Lots of stuff going on. I decided to pull the 60s from the JKU and move them to the LJR. I am building new seat mounts, cause I don't like the adapters, my head was at or above the roll cage.

So, Pics of things that have happened

guess these will be for sale soon, or under the older TJR and then sell it.

·
3,755 Posts
Whats the plan for the JKU? What are the old axle assemblies?

Looks like the LJR is coming together very nicely!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
trying to keep myself from doing a LS3 swap now as well. hmmmmm
Whats the plan for the JKU? What are the old axle assemblies?

Looks like the LJR is coming together very nicely!
The original JKU axles with 11 miles on them and the tires have been in storage. The rear axle has been reinstalled and the front need to go in once I have room to do it. Then I will take everything good off of it and either put it on the LJ, if a universal part, or sell it.
Crazy thing on the JKU is the blue book value is more than I paid for it. Who knows what I will get, break even would be cool.

Love those axle dollies!!

The axle dollies have been great, although its still tough to maneuver the 500lb axle around on the floor. They could have better wheels. If I do this again, I will upgrade the wheels to something a bit larger.

I had to modify the dollies to work with the 8 lug axles. I just cut the top hat off a 6 lug adapter plate and let the tube fall into the cradle. Works good, but not as good as bolted up to the hub. I would change this as well if I were to do the 8 lug stuff again.

Thanks on the LJ, its having a bit of color saturation issues. Not sure if I will keep all the colors, but most of it is a wrap, so easy to change if needed. OK, everything but the rockers and bumpers is wrapped. In all reality, both are easy to change. Hope to have it on all 4s this weekend, then I can see if my spring rate choices were good.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I moved the LJ to the new place a couple months ago. Moving it under no power was fun

I am going to change out the bright orange, hopefully to more of a burnt orange, or change out the burnt orange to just black. That may be the easier option, probably the best as well.

I need to fix a interference issue with the exhaust and the snout fo the front axle and the driveline. I have some new exhaust parts to try, and learn to TIG stainless all at the same time. If I can't make the interference go away, I could go back to stock axles, or LS it like all the cool kids. I really want to be a cool kid and may be one of the reasons I have been slow to resolve this, or taking care of a new house that needed lots of work. And by work I mean jeep cash.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
It needs most everything put back together, the biggest issue is the exhaust down pipe hits the nose of the UD 60 I took out of the JKU. I have it pulled as far to the passenger side as I can get it and I think it will work. But I need to shorten the other side of the exhaust pipe to make it fit. So, I will soon learn to TIG stainless, or not and order more parts...

Then put all the little stuff, install seats, fluids. In general I did almost a frame on rebuild of everything.

I have not been at it for a year, so my memory may be missing other stuff. Buying a new house and moving has taken me away from this project.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,474 Posts
Just put a turn down on the exhaust after the transfer case skid. I ran like that for ages with zero issues.
Eazy Peazy

Buying a house sure does put a dent on other projects. Every time I think about doing that, I am like why, this house has everything I need and doesn't require any modication at the moment.
I did have a brand new Aluminum fence installed at the end of 2020 to replace the ailing split rail fence, so that's something else that won't need to be touched for decades.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Its the under the oil pan area where the issue is. Well the header connecting pipe going under the oil pan. I hope to go look at it tomorrow.

Just did a TPO roof on the house. Not a project I wanted to pay for now, probably paid to much. But its done and I won't need to deal with it again. I also think, even if I paid to much, it will still be less than what I would of paid in 5 years. Amazing, I have multiple places not even come quote the roof. Trying to have people take my money is hard.

Weird fact, they worked on the roof over night twice, till 5 AM in the morning. Not sure I was really ok with it, but they were working. Cooler at night and all that, but it was weird.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,474 Posts
I've never heard of that for a residential place, but when I was doing industrial duct work on roofs, we would work Midnight to 8am because it was just too damn hot during the time the sun was up.
I am sure they did it for a similar reason.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
it was weird, the whole night thing. At least they got this part done, still waiting on many finishing items...

The house was built almost into a rock wall, they dynamited the rock to build the house back in the day. Part of the house if less than 2 feet from the rock wall.

Trees were growing over the roof, I just had a bunch removed from over the house as well.

thinking the jeep will get put up on jack stands today so I can get under and reflect on the task at hand. Or just go ahead and order the L33 and 4l60 I have been looking at. Reflecting may make me do that anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,474 Posts
That's pretty crazy. Does water run off the wall and gather on the side of the house next to the wall? Or is there drainage to avoid that? Got any pictures from a distance to show the house and yard? It sounds really cool

Time tends to equal part upgrade orders.
I've had the following conversation in my head numerous times.
"OOO that looks really nice, I don't need it right now, but damn I sure do want it. "
:)

·
3,755 Posts
I'm interested to see the house too. Sounds like a nice house, but unusual construction

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Its definitely a unique house. Im sure more of a man cave, than a normal house. I could have a whole additional thread...

Some interesting numbers, its just under 2000 sf per floor. It is on over an acre on the Chattahoochee river, the park and walking path is right across the street, so across teh street from the river. I don't have many neighbors, but lots of people waking, running, and biking by every day. There isn't much parking for the park along the river, so they built a mini castle wall as a fence. It serves two purposes as I am learning, keeps people from parking on the property and acts like a flood barrier. I am on a flood plain and had to get the insurance. Technically the front part of the property is, but the house is above the flood plain. The house is built, like a beach house, to survive a flooding of the first floor, I hope to never find out.

I have been overwhelmed with the house and moved in about a year ago. Its just a bunch of open spaces. I am not a person to say or admit to being overwhelmed, but I have been. Just getting out of that mode, kind of.

So, the first floor has 3 garage spaces, a 12/10 entry area, open area behind the entry, then a storage room. Oh, and a 1/2 bath. I added garage cabinets to the area behind the entry, there was no coat closet and its an exposed space. It was this or custom cabinets. This was cheaper and the GF approved of the cabinets. I get mixed reviews from people, but when asked what would you do, they all go blank.
The storage room is as big as a single car garage. I added 5 open storage shelfs and built a work top that I will never use. Well I don't think I will. Its become the storage room you can close the door and not have to be neat and tidy.
The garages are an area where I need/want to do re finishing work. The floors are show years of use. The spaces are not as deep as I would like. I removed two foot shelfs from most of the garage from the previous owner. The 2 bays I will use for vehicles, the third and shorter bay will be the work shop. It is technically heated and cooled, but I have the vents turned off. I need to do some work to tidy the whole garage thing up and look like the rest of the house.

The main floor consists of a large open space and a bedroom. It was very overwhelming when open and empty. I now have 3 couches, dinner table, and all teh normal stuff in the room. It still feels empty. I ended up with some rugs from a parents friends house, that I would not of purchased, but actually fit the room and house decently. But not what I would of picked if I was paying full price. They will work till I make some other decisions. As well as the bedroom with a full bath and double vanity, there is a 1/2 bath and wet bar.

The 3rd floor consists of 3 full bedrooms. The master is 1/2 the upstairs, no idea what to do with the space. The remaining two bedrooms each have full bathrooms as well.

The back of the house had not been maintained for years. I, well I paid, to have it cleared out and resolve allot of the drainage issues. Now its in good shape, but needs more work. Its kind of a cool place, but also very damp.

I call the house "Warehouse Z"
So, some pics:
Google earth view

Street view

my morning view

Parking

Storage room

Storage room helpers

Entry and storage

Two car garage, when I unloaded one truck

Single Car Garage, the work shop in the worls

more to come

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Main floor

Wet Bar

Upstairs main bedroom, that is the end of a California King bed

Back of the house

Flooding a couple weeks ago, it was gone by noon. I truly believe the COE messed up. I was by no means stranded, but the street was shut down and that was great. The road can be a thoroughfare and is a bit annoying at times.

When it rains hard, the west side of the property takes all the rain. I need to do some work to clean out the swamp so it holds more water. When that is done, this will be less of an issue.

I also just had about 12-15 trees removed.

Its been a long year.

I am very fortunate, bought this at 1/2 the going rate per SQ FT, and live here alone, well, the two helpers are here with me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice Diggs. You certainly do have enough space.
I have never really lived in a conventional house so I understand some of the challenges you face.
Your Yard looks like it needs a couple mean dogs to complete it.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts