Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made it 63K miles and I've finally had the first problem with my Jeep. The other day while driving in the rain, I noticed the Jeep was sluggish taking off from stoplights. With the wind and rain, I thought maybe it was just my imagination. I drove the Jeep probably 100 miles the next day without any incidents and as I got home that night, I noticed a hot oil smell when I walked around the Jeep on the way in. So I stuck my head under the RT front wheelwell and the smell got stronger. Then I noticed the outside frame rail was really wet. I realized it was tranny fluid after sticking my finger in it and smelling it. The next day I crawled under the Jeep trying to determine where the fluid was coming from. It appears that it came from the vent tube that points up into the engine bay. I checked the tranny fluid "cold" with the engine off and on a slight incline from the driveway. It read up to the bottom hole on the dipstick. I had a guy tell me that maybe the sensor had a glitch and caused the fluid to spew out of the vent, but that doesn't seem very likely to me since I never noticed any idiot lights. Then again, I'm not a mechanic and I guess anything is possible. I did do a JKS 1" MML and a Jeep Medic TT a few years ago at around 31K miles. Can anyone give me some ideas on what might have caused my problem or what to look for?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know, but I didn't have my keys handy and I was mostly checking the color, smell, and if it even registered on the dipstick. Wondering if I'd lost all of the fluid. The underside of the Jeep is drenched from the firewall back with tranny fluid.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have you changed the fluid lately?, I would drop the pan and see what's in the pan, change the filter and refill, see what happens. The pan can tell you if the transmission is making metal and at least give you some indication of whats to come.
I changed the filter & fluid last week on mine 38k, it sure shifted much better after, and it did have some very fine metal on the magnet but nothing alarming.
Cost me $50.00 total, just a thought.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just hit 80,000 and had a similar problem. While driving on the highway at speed I went to pass another slower car and the jeep felt like it had nothing to give. It tok a full stomp on the gas pedal to get it to down shift and make the pass. Weird, but ok. Got off the exit ramp and stopped at the light. Went to take off and it was like it was in overdrive. No power and took forever to upshift. Bing CEL comes on. Pull code when I get ot work and it looks like a selenoid pack. No big deal right? Wrong. Long story short, the selenoid pack , torque converter, total rebuild, flush and fill total $1600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.