Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Wanted to see of anyone has had this issue and if so, what was the cause and the solution.

My Camshaft Synchronizer was replaced less than 2 years ago. It has now failed again. When the mechanic pulled it out, it was dry, no oil on it. To the point that the top, where the sensor spins had a bunch of rust. He said that was the issue and that it seized up. I have the old part and it does have rust.

Any ideas why this would occurr?

·
3,677 Posts
Never a problem with my '04

·
1,837 Posts
I haven’t either. Are you referring to the camshaft position sensor?

·
3,677 Posts
Need to get a Dorman OPDA, should resolve your issues.
My understanding that the OPDA issue only affects model year '05 and '06. It does appear that jeep started production of the OPDA in Oct of 2004 however.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
1,837 Posts
Is that the sensor by another name?

·
1,837 Posts
I'm asking - Is a Camshaft synchronizer a Camshaft sensor by another name?

·
1,837 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks. This is honestly the first time I heard of a synchro, but I’ve heard much about the 05-06 OPDA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the dorman one when I needed to replace mine and it didn't fit into the block. I had to sand it down just a bit (around the outer edge) until it fit. It's been good for about 5 years now.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
I didn’t see where it was clarified, the part that resembles the distributor? Aside from they suck, where the wiring harness goes from that around the back of the valve cover, the wiring harness can chafe in the loom and cause intermittent cam position problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Mil. Pardon me If I repeat some info you already have received because I am not going to read thru all the responses you have already received. About a year and a half ago I purchased a beautiful 2006 rubicon with very low mileage on it and drove it about a thousand miles home. Morning after I arrived I, of course, wanted my best friend to hear the it run. When I fired it up it was making a terrible noise and I actually thought I had a stuck lifter but after poking around a bit I found when I pushed down on the center of the top of the Oil Pump Drive Assembly (OPDA) {which I called the distributor at the time} the noise went away. Some research revealed that it was a poorly designed part and that one was not to bother replacing it with another factory unit as it might fail also. At that time Dorman was the only replacement unit that had the fix in it and so I ordered and installed a new unit from them and tossed aside my old unit onto my junk shelf (THANK GOD). Crown now makes and sells an upgraded OPDA also and some say it is even better than the Dorman unit. You can search in google "OPDA Crown Vs. Dorman" to research that. If all you have is a bad OPDA, the Crown unit should solve that problem -- But along with the new unit comes a new Cam shaft position sensor that simply plugs into your wiring harness. Soon My Rubicon started stumbling when I made tight turn such as from one street to the next. One of the Jeep Computer remanufacturing companies assured me that the $1000.00+ computers he sold was the answer. I purchased one and installed it and before long now the rubicon would simply stumble and die going in a straight line but the original problem was gone. After an 18 wheeler almost ran over me on the freeway when my rubi quit on a busy freeway I got the computer manufacturer to take back the computer as it looked as if it had worse problems then the original. I put the original computer back in and it seemed ok for a while but then it did the same thing a the replacement unit and in the year and a half all this was going on, neither computer threw a code. Then one day a few weeks ago, the failure happened again and I got a engine light and code and was on limp-in mode back to my shop the code was a P0344 (Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent). AH I said to myself, that is the little electronic pickup in the OPDA I replaced a year and a half ago! I purchased a new sensor online and put it in and right away it started throwing code P0016 and went into the limp-in mode. I thought, what the heck, and I pulled the original sensor out of the bad OPDA and now have over 800 miles with out a failure!! My God, 1.5 years of fighting this and reading that lots of people have the same problem and no one seemed to know what to do except keep throwing big bucks at it until they got lucky and it just went away. Well there is more to it than that. The service manual section 81 page 9-13 has the correct procedure for replacing the OPDA. And it seems it takes a DRBIII tool to do it properly and reset the computer. I was lucky to find the manual in pdf form on line real cheep and I will be researching that as I get the time. The WRANGLER FORUM FOR JEEP TJs has a very important article called, "Interesting OPDA Findings" that you can search for and go thru to really find that the percent deviation between the CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR AND THE CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR is very small and just installing a new OPDA , the limit can be way out of range. Also, "CarTreatments.com" has an article named, "7 Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft Position Sensor". That article described my symptoms. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts