Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~ I have an 03' Rubicon with 148,345 miles on it and am starting to work on rust repair and prevention...lol
I am cleaning the frame and tub and getting any surface rust sanded, wire brushed and ready to POR-15 everything. The frame is all surface rust and I used a small camera to look inside the frame and it is solid. My question is on the tub/body mounts. The front and rear on both sides are good and just surface rust with no metal separation. The middle mounts on both sides are rusted thru. The frame mounts are solid with no rust. There seems to be a few options as far as repair and replacement. Full Torque box, center and rear mount combos and 3 piece units to cut out and weld in. I have a mig welder and have be welding items at home for a few years and trying spot welding with it.
I am not sure what is best and have searched google and You tube for suggestions and others doing it.

I have seen a few bad comments on just replacing the bad section as the other are not far behind. I have also seen a few about safety in old replacing the center section.

Thoughts and help are appreciated.

These are right side and the left is the same condition.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Fluid

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

Thanks, Chris

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
Doesn't look bad enough to cut out to me - maybe the picture is misleading, but it looks like surface rust.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The middle mount on both sides is rusted thru with a huge 1-1/2 slot in it. The rest is surface rust. Thinking of just cutting out the middle ones and using the replacements from this kit.

Product Font Automotive exterior Automotive design Electronic device

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I would do. The only way to stop rust is to cut it out.
I have them cut-out well beyond the rust and new ones welded in. Coated inside of the tub area in Chassis Saver first. Now the tub and frame are getting a coat of Chassis Saver after degreasing. Looks good so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have them cut-out well beyond the rust and new ones welded in. Coated inside of the tub area in Chassis Saver first. Now the tub and frame are getting a coat of Chassis Saver after degreasing. Looks good so far.
I grew up in SW Michigan and the rust was bad. I have been living in North Dakota for the last 25 years and about 10 years ago they started using some liquid brine mixture to melt ice on the roads, it is highly corrosive. I have even had trouble killing rust by sandblasting and treating with acid.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
I was stationed on a fairly small island and we had Ford Econoline vans for work vehicles. The entire floorboards were cut out and replaced with aluminum sheeting due to rusting.

·
Registered
03 Rubicon and 19’ JLUR
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grew up in SW Michigan and the rust was bad. I have been living in North Dakota for the last 25 years and about 10 years ago they started using some liquid brine mixture to melt ice on the roads, it is highly corrosive. I have even had trouble killing rust by sandblasting and treating with acid.
I bought my Jeep in Dayton, Ohio and it spent 3 years in Portland Oregon and then 2 years north of Detroit and now a year back in Ohio and the salt and brine has taken its toll. Those 2 spots are the only ones rusted through. I have some surface rust on the hinges, frame and tub. I have one bad spot below the passenger side taillight that is about 1-1/2 inch circle. That started when a friend shot it by accident with a pellet gun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts