Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke off one of the nipples on the front air pump on my 03 TJ many years ago. I was at an event so I just took a vacuum tubing "Y" connector and hooked up the front air line to it, so when I turned on the rear lockers, the front ones came on as well. It worked like that for many years but now I've noticed that neither of my lockers aren't working, according to the dash lights and according to tire rotation.

Both of the air line nipples on the axles are good. The air line going to both were cut so I see why they weren't actually locking up. On the front axle, the locking diff sensor is fine coming out of the axle but the wiring was cut about a foot back. I know I need to just splice in that wiring hook up new air lines and the front should be good.

But on the rear axle, The wires right at the locker sensor are cut. Here you can see the rear axle with the air nipple highlighted in red, and the sensor in blue.

My questions are:
1. Where can I get a replacement air pump for the front? There's gotta be some lower cost aftermarket pumps that will work by now isn't there? It's been almost 20 years!
2. How difficult is it to replace that sensor for the rear?
3. I'd like to bench test my air pumps. There are 3 wires on them. Does anyone here know which wires are for what?

·
1,871 Posts
it seems like you’ve got a lot going on with your lockers. When you say “cut,” do you mean “broken?” Supposedly there was a source for refurbished pumps mentioned here, but it seemed to die on the vine. A ROF member was going to report back, but has not. Today I asked for an update. The years have not produced locker support for the TJs. When mine (2004) fail, I’ll do a complete ARB switch over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems like you’ve got a lot going on with your lockers. When you say “cut,” do you mean “broken?” Supposedly there was a source for refurbished pumps mentioned here, but it seemed to die on the vine. A ROF member was going to report back, but has not. Today I asked for an update. The years have not produced locker support for the TJs. When mine (2004) fail, I’ll do a complete ARB switch over.
Yes, the air lines were broken. Like physically cut by a rock or something.
I've done some more research and bench tested my air pumps. They both still pump air, but one of them has broken off the plastic nipple that the air line goes over. I've managed to get a die grinder in there and remove some of the remaining plastic around the broken nipple and now I can slip a hose over it. I think I'm going to get a vacuum tube connector and JB weld it to what's left so I'm pretty sure I can salvage the pump.

My main question now is how hard is it to replace that axle locker sensor. It sounds like I just have to pull the carrier out a little bit, but I heard on Wranglerforum that there's a way to do it without removing the diff cover.... doing more research...

·
1,871 Posts
Someone will chime in after the holiday. It seems a bit slow on here yesterday and today.

·
Administrator
11,320 Posts
You probably don't want to hear this, but I would change to ARB or E Lockers, otherwise you will be chasing parts forever. I believe the locker switch is grounded when when the switch is activated. The air pumps are about 5 psi so you could find another 12V pump and reduce its pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You probably don't want to hear this, but I would change to ARB or E Lockers, otherwise you will be chasing parts forever. I believe the locker switch is grounded when when the switch is activated. The air pumps are about 5 psi so you could find another 12V pump and reduce its pressure.
I'll probably just keep the factory stuff for now. I have my pump sorted out and I just need to get the sensor in. For now I fooled it into thinking its engaged by just shorting the wires to it so I'm good. Don't want to be swapping a bunch of parts and spending a bunch of money on it if I don't need to. Maybe after I get some more miles on it. I'm still below 17,000 so I'm probably good for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts