Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m running 35’s on 20’s on stock assembly with a 2.5 leveling kit. I get quite a bit of shimmy (no where near a DW...yet) at about 60-70mph and up. Only ball joints replaced, tires balanced and psi correct. What more can I do to rid myself of the shimmy?

·
1,785 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Alignment check. Other parts would be tie rod ends and drag link. Check if the track bar is loose. What made you change the ball joints? Was that a shop? I would think the rod ends would be replaced before the ball joints.

Even if you replace everything, it could be that your tires are out of round. My 33s seem to always go out of round in latter life.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How many miles?
On 37s my unit bearings made it about 60k before they needed to be replaced. They produced some shimmy as they were wearing out.
Other than that I've found road force balancing has helped more than the shop that didn't balance them that way.

·
Registered
2013 JKU Rubi, Baby Lift-Level, Red Leather Seats, Oh La La
50 Posts
This may be way off base..but if you are somewhere in a colder climate it could be a viscosity thing with the steering dampener. I only say that because I’m on Michigan and it seems like I’ve been getting more shimmy (particularly steering wheel shimmy too) since it’s been really cold. Again...I could be nuts haha.

·
Registered
616 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts