Rubicon Owners Forum - View Single Post - Fuel back splash/overflow when refueling
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Kate
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Fuel back splash/overflow when refueling

I know this topic has been covered but it's time to wake it back up again.
Some action has been taken by the NHTSA, so we should reinforce it by speaking up.

I've had this problem for a couple of years now.
This is a very common problem for the TJs and some of the JKs.

The inlet check valve in the tank is a part of the fuel tank. It sticks. Cannot be replaced separately from the fuel tank.

There is a lengthy thread here on ROF on the subject which I have not revisited in some time.
I have read hundreds of posts and conversations on this subject over time and in various forums. It seems that to date all Chrysler is doing is (for the most fortunate) to offer to pay part of what it costs to replace the fuel tank. They will only do this much after jumping through hoops and a goodly amount of time on the phone with their off shore customer service team. Then you must have an evaluation by a dealership, that you will pay for.

After all of that, the replacement tank bears an identical part number to the defective one.

If you are having this problem I would like to encourage you to go to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) website and file a complaint. It only takes a minute or so to do it.

Here's a link to make it easy for you.
SafeCar.gov

Chrysler HAS been notified by the NHSTA, but further pressure could encourage a recall.

Having it repaired will stop it from splashing fuel onto our vehicles, hands and clothes and will prevent it from seeping into the ground causing unnecessary pollution and contamination of the environment.

It would ALSO be nice not to have to pony up $350 for a replacement fuel tank. $85 for an evaluation or $100- $150 co-pay that some have had to pay when having their tanks replaced.[/quote]

06 Rubi with a couple of chrome plated, double knobbed, cross threaded, worn out flammywhammers zip-tied to it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome