Attention - Password and Security Update - Rubicon Owners Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Attention - Password and Security Update

Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,
Helena
Community Management

For Admin Support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:05 AM
Official WebWheeler

Thanks for only giving 15 minutes notice on this....

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:42 AM
mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox1 View Post
Thanks .**
Doug...
security as you know is a high priority
you posted almost 12 hours later after notice.

your posting was edited
the ROF tech crew is doing their best to keep our community safe

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts writing for the majority:"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"
Into the sunset of time the once great beacon of liberty fades
Past the tipping point a nation fundamentally transformed
Towards serfdom America blindly dances.

C.L. Morgan - 7 November 2012

Darkness fades
The great beacon of liberty
Shines once more...

C.L.Morgan - 9 November 2016

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Garage
Interesting. My new password required a reset, I couldn't log in yesterday evening from my tablet but I thought it was a tablet issue. I suspect the forum managers are in the middle of a fire drill dealing with the hack and locking down the server(s) - they have several forum communities to manage.
mac and Mouse like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
It was painless for me.
mac and johncanfield like this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:16 AM
Official WebWheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Doug...
security as you know is a high priority
you posted almost 12 hours later after notice.

your posting was edited
the ROF tech crew is doing their best to keep our community safe

thanks!
What I should have said was my password was reset only 15 minutes after this thread was posted.... and I didn't see the thread until after I logged in with the new password, which was once I returned home and got on my computer. I saw the email through my cell phone around 10:45 am (15 minutes after the thread was psoted). LOL

Something like a days notice would have been better.

Looks like the Autoguide staff is doing this mass password reset on all of their forums. I've gotten the same "your password is being rest" email from several forums I'm on.

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:19 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I saw the e-mail before I saw the informational thread on ROF. Guess they just came out simultaneously and we were informed by whatever venue you logged into first. Either way... my password is changed.
ROF-Admin likes this.

My dogs name is Rubi
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
I saw the e-mail before I saw the informational thread on ROF. Guess they just came out simultaneously and we were informed by whatever venue you logged into first. Either way... my password is changed.

We are launching emails to all our forums to get users to change their emails.

Lee

For Admin Support please post here:

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 AM
glwood6

I joined this forum back in 2007. I haven't posted all that much over the years, but recently came back after picking up a 2004 TJ Rubicon about 3 weeks ago. I haven't received any emails regarding this password requirement change, but knew right away I could no longer log in the other day when I was told my password was invalid.

When I tried to reset my password or have a reset email sent, now I was informed that my email address was not valid. It's probably due to the email address used at registration back in 2007 no longer exists, and I never thought to change it when I returned recently. Long story short, I have attempted to contact ROF several times by email trying to get my account updated with my current email address so I could once again log in. I've gotten no response.

What's so exasperating is I had recently paid to have my membership upgraded to premium, but now cannot even log in to my account. I had to re-register with a new user name & password just to be able to log on and post again to let the admins know what's going on with my account...can SOMEONE at ROF update my real account, glwood, with my current email so I can go back to using my premium account?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
I joined this forum back in 2007. I haven't posted all that much over the years, but recently came back after picking up a 2004 TJ Rubicon about 3 weeks ago. I haven't received any emails regarding this password requirement change, but knew right away I could no longer log in the other day when I was told my password was invalid.

When I tried to reset my password or have a reset email sent, now I was informed that my email address was not valid. It's probably due to the email address used at registration back in 2007 no longer exists, and I never thought to change it when I returned recently. Long story short, I have attempted to contact ROF several times by email trying to get my account updated with my current email address so I could once again log in. I've gotten no response.

What's so exasperating is I had recently paid to have my membership upgraded to premium, but now cannot even log in to my account. I had to re-register with a new user name & password just to be able to log on and post again to let the admins know what's going on with my account...can SOMEONE at ROF update my real account, glwood, with my current email so I can go back to using my premium account?

Hey Glwood and welcome back. Sorry for the frustration. I do not have the capability to assist you. But you might want to PM Mac or johncanfield who are member administrators and they might be able to assist you in getting this situation resolved.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page