Ham license on the way, now what? - Page 4 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
One thing I have learned over the years is don't scrimp on coax and connectors, and grounding/bonding is very important.
Amen brother! I completed my tower and beam/dipole install about a month ago. I have Alpha Delta lightning protection at the tower base and at my entrance panel. My entrance panel has a 2" copper strap to a nearby ground rod (and runs inside the shack) and then another ground rod halfway to the main load center, then I'm bonded to the main load center. All radios and equipment have braided wire to a single point ground in the shack.

I bought the entrance panel from Chris at KF7P (and a bunch of other stuff) - he's a good guy and carries quality stuff.
Mouse and Wildrat like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I've got Polyphaser and another brand of lightning protector. I can't remember the name of the other. I bought them from a company that sells to the cell tower people along with a 500 foot roll of 400 series coax. I always use the silver connectors also, much easier to solder. I built my box at the tower. I ran 2 1/2 conduit into the house from the tower. All the coaxes go thru it one run to a 8 pos. switch. Everything is grounded, single point. Ground rods, who needs one when you can have six. LOL I always disconnect the main coaxes.

I do know for a fact the lightning protectors work.

When in Florida lighting hit one of my fiberglas antennas and blew it apart. I wasn't worried because I thought I had disconnected the coax. I forgot on this occasion. This is how I found out they work! Nothing was damaged but the antenna, a router, and a TV splitter. All radio equipment was fine.
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
You've done it right. I dropped 8' of copper strap in the tower base hole before they poured the concrete and I have three ground rods around the tower base.

I have a couple of Polyphaser protectors, very high quality. Times Microwave makes good coax as does DX Engineering. I watched a YouTube video of a guy that had a vertical antenna literally blown apart by a strike and the surge traveled along the coax. He found antenna parts all over his yard.
Wildrat likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
You've done it right. I dropped 8' of copper strap in the tower base hole before they poured the concrete and I have three ground rods around the tower base.

I have a couple of Polyphaser protectors, very high quality. Times Microwave makes good coax as does DX Engineering. I watched a YouTube video of a guy that had a vertical antenna literally blown apart by a strike and the surge traveled along the coax. He found antenna parts all over his yard.

My 400 coax is Times Micro. I still can't remember the name of the other protectors. They are of equal quality as the Poly's at about half the cost. I still use the Polyphasers on my main antennas though. LOL
I did not put any grounding in my big hole before pouring just a rebar cage to hold the bolts. My block of concrete is surrounded by ground rods and bonded to the tower, and of course the box holding the lighting protectors is grounded, heck everything is grounded. LOL
I should turn my stuff on and blow the cobwebs out. It's probably been a year since I got on the radio.
Everything else takes up my time, sorta.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Garage
Roger on being busy. I've been feeling pretty good in the last few weeks and have been busy getting caught up on projects that are months behind, then I'm too tired to play on the radio in the evenings.
mac and Wildrat like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Rubi Noobie

Maybe we need a Jeep net? Fusion could make this pretty easy
johncanfield likes this.

2004 Rubicon N th Degree complete set, 4.5” with long arm, Stinger, plus all plates minus front diff, Tom Woods driveshaft front/back, 305/70/16 tires Cooper STT Pro, weight 4400lbs, New owner 6/12/19

N9ARK Mike
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
John, my approach to retired life: “play radio in the morning and eat dessert first!”.
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Garage
I got to play a little at Field Day. I helped making contacts on 40m and learned a little about the local club here. They are a bunch a nice folks. Reminds me of everyone I've met from ROF.

When I got home I was motivated to get my 2 Baofeng radios programmed the same. I got CHiRP installed and figured out enough to clone and program the radios. I was able to get the repeater & its tone set to a channel in both radios. I see the nightmare it is to program those Baofeng manually...glad CHiRP is easy to use.

I've started studying for the general. I see it is a big upgrade over technician. Oh, BTW, KJ7HEY....that's my call.
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Great job! Those HTs have enough memory to put in any repeater you may reasonably use. Then it will be some time, if ever, that you need to make a change.

Just like Willie Mays, “Just say Hey!”.

Bill
W4WWB
johncanfield likes this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:42 PM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I got to play a little at Field Day. I helped making contacts on 40m and learned a little about the local club here. They are a bunch a nice folks. Reminds me of everyone I've met from ROF.

When I got home I was motivated to get my 2 Baofeng radios programmed the same. I got CHiRP installed and figured out enough to clone and program the radios. I was able to get the repeater & its tone set to a channel in both radios. I see the nightmare it is to program those Baofeng manually...glad CHiRP is easy to use.

I've started studying for the general. I see it is a big upgrade over technician. Oh, BTW, KJ7HEY....that's my call.
The online free program ,called Hamstudy.org was useful for my General, if you want to dig in get the Gorden West book and cds and ARRLs book for General. I have a one hour commute several days a week so the cds where helpful.
mac, Mouse and johncanfield like this.

2004 Rubicon N th Degree complete set, 4.5” with long arm, Stinger, plus all plates minus front diff, Tom Woods driveshaft front/back, 305/70/16 tires Cooper STT Pro, weight 4400lbs, New owner 6/12/19

N9ARK Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page