• 1 Post By Norminator
  • 3 Post By Norminator
  • 3 Post By johncanfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Ham/Bluetooth/Headset

Whatís your experience with Bluetooth and headsets with ham radio?
mac and Mouse like this.

It doesn't matter who you are until you are whom you are supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I used a BT headset on my bike that had cb and it worked fine. I did not use the voice keying stuff though. I used the keying switch.
I'm kinda old school so I like mics and buttons etc.
mac, Norminator, Mouse and 2 others like this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Garage
You might get some good info from a forum search at QRZ and eHam. I've never used BT on any ham radios, I'm with Mark - I like buttons and hand (or desk) mics.
Norminator likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
My insane state of California is always trying to catch people driving while distracted. Iím retired now, but in 2016 a guy on fatal numbers of meth T-boned my truck on a bicycle and was killed. I was sued for $20,000,000. When all the facts came out I was cleared and a judge convinced them to drop the case. I was off for 10 months with full pay. They kept me on ice for threat of getting my coworkers called in to court. I had to give a deposition. I returned to work and worked for two more years because I didnít want to go out that way. The police and company handled it well. I would have been in huge trouble if I was driving while distracted.

I hear you on preferring a microphone. I agree. I think you understand why I asked about a hands free option.
johncanfield likes this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I actually don’t expect to hear much information in response to this thread. That would be consistent with my internet searching. I’m basically throwing the question to the wall and see what sticks. Here’s what I’ve learned.

There are a few ham radios that seem to offer the Bluetooth technology. The Yaesu FTM-400XDR offers a Bluetooth add on that seems easy to install. Yaesu upgraded the add on circuit board so it seems like a technology they are willing to push forward. They discontinued their proprietary headset which doesn’t exactly promote confidence, but there are headsets such as Blueparrot that truckers say work well.

I’m sure there is a bright future for Bluetooth supported ham radio. I’ll probably do the add on eventually, but I realize it’s a specialty tool with limitations.
DAA, Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Last edited by Norminator; 05-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminator View Post
My insane state of California is always trying to catch people driving while distracted. Iím retired now, but in 2016 a guy on fatal numbers of meth T-boned my truck on a bicycle and was killed. I was sued for $20,000,000. When all the facts came out I was cleared and a judge convinced them to drop the case. I was off for 10 months with full pay. .....
The guy was on drugs, ran into you and you got sued ? That's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminator View Post
I actually donít expect to hear much information in response to this thread. That would be consistent with my internet searching. Iím basically throwing the question to the wall and see what sticks. Hereís what Iíve learned.

There are a few ham radios that seem to offer the Bluetooth technology. The Yaesu FTM-400XDR offers a Bluetooth add on that seems easy to install. Yaesu upgraded the add on circuit board so it seems like a technology they are willing to push forward. They discontinued their proprietary headset which doesnít exactly promote confidence, but there are headsets such as Blueparrot that truckers say work well.

Iím sure there is a bright future for Bluetooth supported ham radio. Iíll probably do the add on eventually, but I realize itís a specialty tool with limitations.
Now I know why you are looking into this. There was some noise in the ham community here about a hand-free ordinance (forgot where) aimed primarily at cell phone users but could impact any radio user. I think there was some pushback about exempting hams - I can't remember what happened.

I had a Yaesu 2M radio in the Jeep for a while - it had a very small remote head and was marketed to the bike crowd, it had Bluetooth for headset use. It was so difficult to use I sold it - even figuring out how to turn it on was a challenge if I hadn't used it in a while.

Maybe some touring bike forums have some headset info?
Norminator, Mouse and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page