Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Another enclosed trailer 8.5'x20' Haulmark - 5/8/12 update

14K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  desertfox1 
#1 ·
In my other trailer thread, I made mention of having a larger cargo trailer on order:
viewtopic.php?p=849464#p849464

The idea was to buy a 7x16 to replace my 6x12, using the 7x16 as my motorcycle hauler, plus a place to haul extra junk for camping trips, or going to events such as Overland Expo, which I went to last year with TenaciousTJ. On that trip, my 6x12 was jammed with stuff - not even close to weight capacity, just full of STUFF, plus my motorcycle.

The 7x16 would be a perfect size for longer distance trips with my motorcycle, plus the junk that I took to Overland Expo last year. I could haul the bike and use it as my alternate form of transportation when set up at a "base camp" location. I'd been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks, and even during the fall last year.

BUT, there's a drawback of having "only the motorcycle" as ground transportation on trips.... you can't haul groceries on it, it's not the greatest form of transportation when doing exploration or sightseeing "solo", nor is it ideal in hot climates, or foul weather.

Prior to ordering the 7x16, and even last year, I thought of a bigger enclosed trailer, one that would haul the Jeep plus my other stuff. The thing I kept coming back to is I don't want a BAT (big arse trailer - new acronym Inline6 came up with) when going on my local bike trips - a small trailer works far better for the places I go. In fact, I think even back in Spring of 2010 when I bought my 6x12, I contemplated the BAT concept. I finally concluded the small trailer concept would work far better for what the trailer would get use the most for: motorcycling camping trips with my truck and camper. The 6x12 replaced a 6x10 I owned for 17 years!
Multiple trailers was not even a consideration back then, money wasn't falling off the money tree at the time either.

About 3 weeks ago I ordered the 7x16 and planned on selling the 6x12. A week or less after ordering the 7x16 I bought the 5x8 mentioned in the thread above. The 5x8 would become my local use trailer for doing the automotive swap meets and gun shows I've been going to. The 7x16 would surely work for that too, but I was already tired of always swapping junk in the current trailer when switching from camping mode to swap meet mode.... that's the reason I bought the 5x8.

Yes, I'm rambling.... :lildevil:

Over the last two weeks or so, I keep rethinking (uhh... OVER-thinking) the logic of buying the new 7x16.. does it really makes sense to spend the mount of money it's going to cost to buy the new 7x16, and have it optioned out with everything available?

So, I've been periodically using one of the "search all of craigslist" search engines and looking at http://www.racingjunk.com for 7x16 or similar trailers. The cost of the new one I have on order isn't out of reach, but holy crap it's expensive.

Then I start thinking again... Even though I'd already axed the idea of a BAT, I was starting to revisit the BAT concept again... yes, this has just come up within the last week or so... the 7x16 was going to be a pretty well decked out trailer, and due to it's smaller size, and huge level of customizations inside, I started to think it might be a hard trailer to sell should I want a BAT at a later date. Think "race trailer" interior, but only big enough to haul motorcycles. The whole BAT concept was NOT in my head when I sold the flattie two weeks ago.

...and then I keep coming back to: Having the Jeep on long trips and being able to use it as my sightseeing rig / grocery getter will open up far more options for my travels. :)
Having the Jeep as the ground transportation was possible with the flatbed, but it rules out hauling other stuff with me, which is why I took my 6x12 to Overland Expo last year. Yes, I've seriously been over thinking / over analyzing this. :evilbat:

There was a time where it didn't make sense to have multiple trailers...... that day has come and gone. With the variety of things I do, it's come to the point where there just isn't a "one size trailer for all purposes." :lildevil:

I starting searching all of craigslist again, looking at other sizes of trailers...
Last weekend I found a 8.5x20 in another state, then promptly forgot I had sent an email about it, until I found a reply on Tuesday when I checked the alternate email account I use for CL stuff. That's when I started re-analyzing everything I'd already over-analyzed. The ultimate conclusion is: it just makes more sense to not spend huge $$$ on a NEW 7x16 like I want. Used ones that size don't come up very often in the "race trailer" style that I want and what I wanted in the new one might be a hard sell if I decide a BAT is needed at a later date..... so I've decided to buy a BAT now and be done with it.

The 8.5x20 is way more trailer at far less cost. It even has a roof A/C in it. It's highly unlikely I will outgrow this one, and it has already reached it's "depreciation" level.

Yep, there's not a "one size fits all needs" trailer for my activities.

I will keep the 6x12 and use it for bike trips.... hmm, maybe I need to paint the walls in it now. Dragging it around on my biking trips, the truck acts like the trailer is not even back there. Even though at times I wish it were bigger, it works well due to its small size, which also make it easier to get in to some of the free camping areas I found this past summer. A 7x14 would be nice though... :lildevil: But I need to quit buying trailers.

The 5x8 will be my local swap meet rig.
The BAT will be the long distance trip rig.
The little flatbed aluminum trailer I have will probably be put up for sale soon.

Yes, I have a sickness... too many trailers. :evilbat:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Coming soon, another enclosed trailer

Here's what I know so far:

It's a Hallmark Edge Pro series with upper and lower cabinets.
10k load rating
It has new tires, 30amp AC electrical, roof A/C unit, bucket flood light on the passenger side, several 4' interior fluorescent fixtures, diamond plate floor, L track on the floor, carpet on the lower half of the walls, fully insulated, power tongue jack, bling wheels, internally mounted auxiliary battery which is vented to the outside and two rear facing flood lights.

The only drawback is the height is barely enough to fit the Jeep in through the door. That is easily fixed by airing down. A long term solution may be a LCG rebuild of the Jeep suspension.

The trailer is just too good of a deal to pass up, in my opinion.

Here's a few sneak-preview pics the current owner sent me:

He's selling it because he wants a 32' race trailer. He races some sort of car, but I don't know what.

Here's some other benefits of a BAT:

They work well as an alternate work space at home - think mini garage.

When I went to Moab in May of 2009, the group I was with had several diesel pusher motorhomes and BATs. We had a fairly large group and we did group meals every night. One night it was really windy and dusty. We turned one BAT in to the dining room and piled in with our lawn chairs.

#5 ·

Steve578 said:
Congrats on the new to you trailer. I would love to have a BAT! Maybe someday, but it's not in the near future.
I'm eager to get it, and customize it since I can't leave stuff alone once I get my hands on it. :lildevil:

I called the owner again today to make sure we are both on the same page ... that I want it. It's a 600 mile road trip each way to get it. I'm heading out next Saturday evening or really early Sunday morning to get it, then head back as far as I feel like driving Sunday night, then continue the trip on Monday, since it's a day off for the holiday. I'd go Saturday morning, but I'm doing a swap meet!!

#7 ·

inline6 said:
Good deal, looks like a nice trailer. Woo Hoo
AKA, mini-garage. :)

I will have to investigate adding a heat option to the A/C Unit. Most RV style A/C units have a add-on heat module that is sort of a plug-play add on.

I'm heading out to get it Saturday evening... long drive, so I want to get a few hours of driving in on Saturday after my other activities on Saturday.

#8 ·

I've been watching the weather, sure enough, snow is in the forecast for my travel days this weekend.

I've prepped a few things on the truck:
Replaced the OEM headlight bulbs with something brighter, which I had been using until they burned out a few months ago and I had to revert back to the OEM bulbs.

I ordered a few parts to compliment my existing weight distributing hitch, so it will accommodate a BAT. It was more logical to buy piece parts instead of a whole new WD hitch setup.

I've gathered up a few tools, including a torque wrench, which I will use to check the lug nuts on the trailer before I roll down the highway on Sunday afternoon.

#10 ·

[quote='05TJLWBRUBY]Nice looking trailer. Holy smokes-600 miles one way!?!?! [/quote]

Yes, it is a long drive - and part of it is high elevation driving!

My truck has been stored in my man cave garage, which is about 2.5 miles from home. I retrieved it tonight, which is a good thing, because I won't have to swap vehicles Saturday evening. A friend came over to borrow one of my trailers and I asked him for a ride out to the garage where my truck is. Chances are good that I can have him give me another ride when he brings the trailer back.

So the new headlight bulb I installed is garbage. I'm removing it tomorrow. I guess I should pony up and buy some Sylvania Silverstar bulbs at the local Wal-Mart tomorrow.

#11 ·

Something is following me.....

#13 ·

This was the first view of it... I pulled in the driveway and was promptly guided in to position to hitch 'er up!

#14 ·
Re: Coming soon, another enclosed trailer - IT'S MINE!!

This is the first roadtrip I've done with the truck empty. I haven't hand calculated the mileage yet, but the computer was reading around 16.5-17 most of the trip empty. Coming home is was running 13.5 as read on the dash.

Not bad for a BMTw6W. It's a 2009 3500HD with Duramax/Allison. Previous generation D/As get better mileage.

The owner babied this trailer. It's VERY nice.

I took this pic just before leaving his house.

I found a nice pullout and took this pic about 20 minutes after leaving his house:

#16 ·
Re: Another enclosed trailer - more pics 2/23/12

Inside, looking at the back

Front

Huge side door, I could easily load/unload my dual sport bike through the side door.

#17 ·

I didn't care much for the original light fixtures:

So I didn't waste any time trying a few, and liked these, a double bulb fixture:

I also spent some time working on the axles tonight.... I pulled the brake drums and started the bearing repack, brake inspection project. The brakes don't work very well at all... my truck has the factory IBC (integrated brake controller) and I had to crank it up to about 7.5 to get the brakes functioning to the point I could feel them working.

I'm kicking around the idea of replacing the brakes, but I haven't decided yet.

#19 ·

It's an 8.5' x 20' box, Edge Pro series race trailer by Haulmark.

http://www.haulmark.com/bumper-pull_racecar-trailer/

Judging by the tires, which are about two years old, and the brakes, I'd say the trailer has a lot of miles on it. It's been in service about 4.5 years. It's been well cared for and is excellent condition though.

One tire wasn't holding air above 35 psi. It was a bad valve stem. Les Schwab Tires fixed it when I also shopped for a spare tire and wheel.

#21 ·

kidmugg said:
That's a beauty... and looks huge on the inside!
It would work fine for camping in too... Set up a cot and sleeping bag, done. :D

I started removing the clearance lights to upgrade them with the clear lens style like my other trailer and I kept breaking the mounting tab off the bracket. I decided to replace all the brackets. I got part of them installed this morning.

The brackets have gotten a little bit brittle from the sunny climate this trailer came from.

This picture (from my other trailer) shows the little ears on each side of the bracket that hold the light in place:

#22 ·

I worked on the brakes again today. I found a small disaster, which warranted a new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=79167

Here's the mess I found:

#23 ·

The other brakes looked like they have gotten minor grease contamination in them, so I decided to replace all 4 brake assemblies. Shoes alone can be replaced, but the cost for the shoes isn't much less than the cost of a whole new "brake assembly". The magnets have gotten spewed with grease too, so replacing the entire brake assembly is the way I am going.

I am also replacing all 4 brake drums because the surface the magnet rides on is unevenly worn. The tech at the trailer dealer that's been supplying me with parts said an uneven surface on the drum will cause premature wear (and problems) with the magnets.

#24 ·

Wise move Doug, I've heard the same. I am not totally sure HOW it happens but I've heard it from enough sources dealing with stock trailers and such that I would have done the same thing. At that point with all that grease in there, you just can't clean it out and whatever happens with the magnet-the cost is small enough better to just replace the whole thing. Trailer brakes aren't too tough either so cheap and easy fix is always a good move! :D

Best of Luck,

Mike

#25 ·
Re: Another enclosed trailer - more pics 3/6/12

More pics of the mess in one of the brake assemblies:

#26 ·
Re: Another enclosed trailer - more pics 3/6/12

Brake job in progress: I worked on them last week during the evening, a little bit at a time.

I finished it up Saturday.

Then came a spare tire and wheel (the one on the right)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.