Here's some tips for trailers of all types.... - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Rubi Noobie

Send a message via AIM to Trigger
Re: Here's some tips for trailers of all types....

Speaking of tires, make sure whatever you're hauling has good tires that hold air, or if they don't, let all the air out of them prior to hauling. I've had a vehicle come loose off a trailer, because the left front tire lost air pressure and loosened the binders. Needless to say a vehicle coming off a trailer while driving up a hill is not a good thing. We were lucky nobody was hurt or killed.

Good info, thanks for the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Another tip:

Make sure your trailer's tires/wheels are properly balanced. The oscillation that starts can really wear the tires out quickly not to mention the shaking is annoying.

Jeff
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Rubi Crawler

thanks for the excellent information

Kelly aka Mr. D

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj78
Another tip:

Make sure your trailer's tires/wheels are properly balanced. The oscillation that starts can really wear the tires out quickly not to mention the shaking is annoying.
x100

My new trailer's tires and wheels FAILED the road test last week. I took them back to the dealer and traded them out, and got them balanced tonight.

Something worth noting, don't listen to the trailer dealers when they try to tell you "trailer tires don't need balanced". The dealer I described my problem to (which was the one I bought my flatbed trailer from), talked like it was a crime to balance trailer tires. One salesman actually cut me off mid sentence as I was trying to explain the problem and that I took them in to get 'em balanced to FIX the problem.

Story here:

https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...704483#p704483

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Good stuff, Thanks.

I personally donít like having brakes on all wheels of a trailer. If you don't have the brakes set up just prefect for the conditions and lock up the trailer brakes during a hard stop you will have absolutely no control over the trailer. With single axle brakes the trailing axle keeps the trailer in line.

Travel at my own pace, turn where I want to turn, with no one to answer to but me. "Freedom"!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Rubi Noobie

This is so true. This past summer while towing my lawn trailer to the dump, I could smell something burning. Sure enough, looking out of my passenger side mirror, I can see smoke coming from the right rear tow tire.

Didn't have a spare.( Do Now !!!)

Now when I travel, I have the extra lug group for the trailer.

What fun.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2006 Unlimited Rubi with a 3.5 RE Lift, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Warn 9i, 35's, Teraflex tummy tuck, Oil/Trans skids, A/T Front Slider Bumper, Tomken Rear Bumper/Carrier.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox1 View Post
I discovered that the brake circuit in the trailer plug apparently was wired in to the brake light circuit, so as soon as I hit the brakes, the trailer brakes were FULL ON.

A show on TV about fatal accidents had a couple guys hauling cattle, they had done this before many times, so the investigator wondered why they had been unable to stop at the T intersection where they were hit & killed.

After talking to people he found out that the guys had done some wiring work before they left. But when he inspected it found that they had wired the brakes to the turn signals instead of the brake lights.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I'll add my 2c as well, forgive if I repeated something already said:

Springs..... they often wear in the shackles. The bolts are supposed to be pressed into the shackle flats. If they spin, they'll wear the shackles and fall apart.

Hubs: Carry a spare hub with bearings and dust cap. You'll be glad you did. Some folks buy a spindle and mount the tire on a complete hub assembly, so tire changes or hub issues are one nut instead of 5.

Tires: Trailer tires are NOT car tires. Make sure your tires are rated for trailer service.

hitches: Most reading this post need weight distributing hitches. Don't cheap out.

Spindles: If possible, spec your trailer out with the EZLube system (marine axles) Unlike bearing buddies, the EZLube spindles allow a complete repack of the bearings, whereas bearing buddies really only test your grease seals :P

Captains log: Still alive, Sept 2015....If anyone needs me, send me an email to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'll try to respond quickly! Find my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page