6Likes
  • 2 Post By desertfox1
  • 2 Post By pwmac
  • 2 Post By johncanfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Official WebWheeler

Balance your trailer tires

I bought a heavy duty utility trailer in May 2017. When towing it empty with my dually, I could feel it vibrating at highway speeds.

I took the tires off and had them balanced at Discount tire.

Here's a video showing that they are out of round.
Utility trailer manufacturers seem to always buy the cheapest, obscure tires they can find.

SweetPee and Desert Dog like this.

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Garage
I just got a new trailer in September and got some radial tires for it. I ended up dumping 3 ounces of dyna beads in each tire for good measure. Figured since I had such good luck through so many years with them in my jeep it sure couldn't hurt to put some in the trailer tires also.

It did not take me very long pulling a trailer to learn to despise bias ply trailer tires. They certainly do not seem to hold up. And you are right...WHERE these manufacturers find these tires and the companies that create them is beyond me. Some of them even give the phrase "cheap Chinese knock off" a bad name.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Trailer builders seem to be obligated to use trailer specific tires. Trouble is 100% are made in China and most are of poor quality. That includes the major manufacturers like Goodyear and ALL other american companies. The solution to bad and cheap trailer tires is to use what we have on our cars and trucks. For a HD trailer like a 10k+ one, then use just about any LT tire that has the load rating you want/need. Just remember that tires that are not designed for trailers need to be down-rated. According to the engineer I talked to at Goodyear it was recommended that I down-rate non trailer tire 10-15% of the tires specified load rating for trailer use. The technical reason for down-rating is because of the sway of all trailers imposing higher sidewall loads than a car/truck will see.
To hold down cost on my last 10K trailer I replaced the crappy bias ply tires it came with by purchasing commercial grade radial LT E rated tires. They were significantly less costly than what I normally use for my F350. Still pretty expensive to satisfy my safety concerns. I worry a lot on my new HD trailer that came with those scary China tires. At least they have proper E rated load rating. The good things I can report is they balanced well with no weights and have a 75mph max speed.
PaulW
Desert Dog and FLLJ like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
^^ What Paul said ^^

After blowouts and sidewall separations on my Featherlite car hauler I stopped using the crap Chinese trailer tires and bought Goodyear LTs off Amazon. Great tire and good load rating (and made in the USA.)
SweetPee and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page