Flat towing JKUr is this the brake system and tail light kit? - Rubicon Owners Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Flat towing JKUr is this the brake system and tail light kit?

Hi, I am setting up my Jeep for flat towing. I have picked out a braking and tail light kit listed below.

What do you think? I haven't bought them yet but your recommendations will be appreciated.

RV tow Jeep braking kit - https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...o/SM99251.html

Jeep tail light kit -https://www.etrailer.com/p-HM56200.html
I have a friend that is much more skilled than I that is going to assist on the install.

Thanks Bob

The Jeep JKUR AEV 2014

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 01-05-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Garage
The SMI brake kit is a good one,I had a similar one by SMI that we used on our Liberty when we flat towed it. I used Roadmaster for the tow bar, them and Blue Ox are the major players. Rockhard makes a bumper for towing, you might check that out even though you have a nice one already.
Mouse, Bogey and sierrabob like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Thanks John, since this is an AEV and the bumper is AEV I'll be keeping it and a good welder is fabricating an appropriate setup to connect my Blue Ox to the D ring tabs. Note, my buddy originally had attached his tow bar directly to the D ring tabs but during a panic stop bent them thus the need to beef it up.

Here is a pic of a buddies AEV bumpers fabrication for towing, I am doing something similar.
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2005 Rubicon

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:21 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Best IMO is the M&G if you have the room. I couldn't use one with my larger M/C and LS swap components.

I have a RVI 3 as its quick to setup and doesn't clutter up the foot well area when its removed.
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

2011 JKU custom XD60/PR80 5.3LC9 6L80e Trail Grappler 40" Atlas 3.8. Custom RK Pro Aluminum long arms frt with Triangulated rear uppers and lower trailing arms C/O's and Bypass all 4 corners. TK 1 Racing/Currie rear swaybar, Poison Spyder everything except front Expedition One front bumper with Warn 9.5 CTIS
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007JKU View Post
Best IMO is the M&G if you have the room. I couldn't use one with my larger M/C and LS swap components.

I have a RVI 3 as its quick to setup and doesn't clutter up the foot well area when its removed.
Thanks for the suggestion

I googled the M&G brake system and it looks good. The RV has hydraulic brakes and would need to install a compressor. That might be more complicated than going with the Demco, still will check to see if I can find a Utube video and learn more.

Owens Valley CA near Lone Pine looking toward the Mount Whitney portal Sierra Nevada Range
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 01-05-2020 at 09:50 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:57 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Check out Brake Buddy as well.
johncanfield likes this.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Garage
M&G was on my short list but there was some discussion about the situation of tapping into the air brake line and Freightliner didn't approve that (of course.) It would have been fine though. It's a very good system.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsLJ View Post
Check out Brake Buddy as well.
Brake Buddy was my first choice and have several Jeep friends that use them or that type of system. I'm sure that would work but I also would like a system that I don't have to pick up and move, then have to reinstall.

A local shop I trust here in Reno swears by the Demco Duo but their install price doubles the cost. etrailer has an install video and with the help of my buddy think it's a easy "can do."

Picture: Back when the TJ Rubicon was stock and hauled boats and bikes. I didn't have a brake system and never thought I needed one but the JKU is heavier and my fellow Jeep friends have convinced me to get one.
Mouse, johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

2005 Rubicon
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Garage
You are right about a portable braking system - it would be a huge hassle. I installed my SMI myself in the Liberty and then transferred it to the LJ when we flat towed it. It's a fairly easy DIY project for anybody with even moderate skills for that sort of thing.
Mouse, Bogey and sierrabob like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Rubi Noobie

Location: home in Montgomery, AL. Travel the 11 western states
Your AEV bumpers fabrication for towing will be susceptible to being bent on rocks as they are open and unprotected. I know you don't want to buy another bumper, like Rockhard with a place for the mount's built-in, but perhaps your bumper is strong enough to drill two holes to mount a tow bracket like Rockhard sells.

Cheers,
2014 Rubi towed by a Lazy Daze MH
Auto, Mopar 2.5 lift, Rockhard aluminum bumpers, and skid plates, Falken 35x12.50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page