• 3 Post By rlenglish
  • 3 Post By sierrabob
  • 3 Post By sierrabob
  • 1 Post By KaiserJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

How to program extra key 2014 JKU

I bought a key on Amazon and it looks identical to the stock 2014 JKU key for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Keyless2Go-Ke...gler+key&psc=1

I haven't found a clear and clean "How To," to program the key on the internet. Called a local key shop that I think is a good one and was told that the key needs to be cut and program, Cost $5 and $60 for the job. But no guaranty with the Amazon key. No surprise there... some just don't work, they say.

The shop does supply a Jeep JKU key guaranteed for $120 and then $65 for cut and programing.

Question: Does anyone have instructions to program a Jeep JKUR 2014 key?

I would like to give it a try since I have the Amazon one already and I will report back to ROF in order for you to do the same.

An extra "hid-a-key is always a good thing. On a Jeep run on the Utah BDR one of our experienced guys accidentally touched the locking button shutting the door and was locked out. We were a long ways from any town. Luckily one of us had a Hex tool that fit the door hinge. We took the door off and got in. I'm looking to put my extra key in a hidden place for just such an incident.

Oh, and led a Jeep run up to Crystal Peak in the Diamond Mountains the other day. (north of Reno Nevada just west of Frenchman Lake) Took the TJ as my wife doesn't want to scratch up the pretty JKUR.

This is the peak, a pure quarts outcrop at the top of the Diamond Mountains.

The view is looking towards Sierra Valley, where the wagon trains came through in he 1800's after passing through Beckworth Pass heading to California. The wagon road goes left to right just beyond the green tree highlands. The town of Truckee and Lake Tahoe lie beyond the distant ridge. The gold fields of the 49er era are to the west, right of view.

A view of Frenchman Lake looking west, note this is the most eastern part of the Sierra Nevada Range, the eastern flank of these mountains drop into the Great Basin. Lots of the roads on this mountain are in good shape thanks to the logging industry at the turn of the century. The white looking road is crushed quarts crystals from Crystal Peak that they used to gravel the roads.

Thanks Bob

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 07-14-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 AM
Rubicus Maximus

The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:

1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
  2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  3. After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within 15 seconds of removing the first valid key.
  4. About 10 seconds after the completion of Step #3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash and a single audible chime will sound to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.
  5. Within 60 seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
  6. About 10 seconds after the completion of Step #5, a single audible chime will sound and the security indicator will stop flashing, stay ON solid for 3 seconds, then turn OFF to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.
johncanfield, sierrabob and FLLJ like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Thumbs up

Programmed the spare Amazon key successfully with the good instructions provide by rlenglish Saved about $160 doing it myself.

My cost: Amazon key $19.95, key cutting $5

Shop cost. Key $120, programing $60, key cutting $5.

Just wanted to say thanks to rlenglish and ROF, very cool, help is here when you need it.

Tennessee River

I will have new Colorado trail shots soon.

Bob
katswuy, johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 07-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Bob,
Where did you have the key cut?
I purchased one years ago and wasn't able to find anyone to cut it. Hopefully things have changed now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLJ View Post
Bob,
Where did you have the key cut?
I purchased one years ago and wasn't able to find anyone to cut it. Hopefully things have changed now.
Hey FllJ,

The locksmith I used is Andy's and he has a little kiosk in a shopping center. I found him when I was trying to find someone that had an Austrian KTM motorcycle key. The KTM dealers price was outrageous, Andy's was relatively inexpensive. His shop is very capable and experienced in spit of being little.

Here: http://andyslock.com

I think the key cutting can be done by any shop but I wanted to be sure with the new JKU so called ahead and talked with one of the guys to get the run down. They have experience with the JKU and have the keys and know how to program. I figured if I couldn't program the cheap Amazon key I would just buy their's and have them program it. Luckily my cheap key works like a factory product
Bob
johncanfield, Desert Dog and FLLJ like this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 07-16-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Rubicus Maximus

FWIW, Chrysler has been pretty consistent with this user programming feature. I used the same procedure to program extra Sentry Keys for my 2001 WJ and my 2003 Rubicon.

Let me get a little geeky here, being an EE. The keys themselves are not being programmed, the ignition switch can only energize and read a transponder chip called an RFID that is molded into the key handle, when it is no more than 3-4" away from the ignition key switch. What you can do with the user programming feature is add up to 4 more RFID serial numbers to the original two. When the maximum number of six codes is exceeded, according to the description I have read, the oldest code stored is lost, and one of the original keys no longer works.
johncanfield likes this.

Gary
2019 Grand Cherokee WK2
2003 Rubicon TJ

Last edited by KaiserJeep; 07-17-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page