Doors off, battery dies after couple days (aftermarket radio) - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Would it be easier to wire the radio and amp hot wires into a powered relay that is activated by one of the circuits that is switched on only when the ignition is on or the motor is running?
Seems something like that would be a lot more automated, easier for the user than trying to remember having to manually flip switches or do/undo wiring bypass set ups.

I am not the radio wiring genius.
I am lazy enough to want to find a way for the system to cut power automatically when I shut the ignition off.

Just a thought...

Good luck!!
johncanfield and noridetoolow like this.

Last edited by tzukows; 05-16-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzukows View Post
Would it be easier to wire the radio and amp hot wires into a powered relay that is activated by one of the circuits that is switched on only when the ignition is on or the motor is running?
Seems something like that would be a lot more automated, easier for the user than trying to remember having to manually flip switches or do/undo wiring bypass set ups.

I am not the radio wiring genius.
I am lazy enough to want to find a way for the system to cut power automatically when I shut the ignition off.

Just a thought...

Good luck!!
Convenient yes, easier, no lol. The wiring of the relay, determining the correct wires to circumvent...and all that in a vehicle already fussy about it's can-bus system.

Vs

A simple momentary push button located near the driver's door on the dash, one side to ground and the other to the wire looking for a ground. When I turn off the Jeep the radio is still playing, there is my reminder and I just tap it as I'm crawling out of the Jeep

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noridetoolow View Post
Convenient yes, easier, no lol. The wiring of the relay, determining the correct wires to circumvent...and all that in a vehicle already fussy about it's can-bus system.

Vs

A simple momentary push button located near the driver's door on the dash, one side to ground and the other to the wire looking for a ground. When I turn off the Jeep the radio is still playing, there is my reminder and I just tap it as I'm crawling out of the Jeep

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Oh... OK. I thought just the amp was staying on and you could not hear anything to let you know it was still on.

I thought you could draw power for the radio and the amp from somewhere on the fuse block, but have the ignition wire signal the relay to let the power flow through only when the ignition circuit is on. Sounds like the CAN-Bus complicates things a little. Damn computers! Can't live with them, can't live without them...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Rubi Noobie

Hi noridetoolow. I had to join this forum just to see if you resolved your problem? I have EXACT situation going on with my 2010. You and I are on the same page, I was actually trying to find 4 separate door wiring harness plugs to plug into jeep when doors are off, and just wire or (short) the plugs out to trick jeep into thinking the doors were on and shut. I hope you were able to fix your problem, I've been fighting this for a year and a half.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to ROF.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page