• 3 Post By rlenglish
  • 2 Post By johncanfield
  • 3 Post By 2007JKU
  • 1 Post By johncanfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

KO2 sizes and comments

I am trying to decide between the LT 315/70R17/C or the 35x12.50R17/E. They are very close in size but from what I have seen the 12.50's seem to have a flatter, across the tread, contact patch and therefore seem to "nibble" a little more at tar strips. Any opinions out there?
WayWestJeep likes this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
On a jeep I'd much rather run a load range C than an E. E-rated tires are likely much heavier as well.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:47 PM
Rubicus Maximus

My JK is heavy . I should probably put it on a diet.
I bought new tires this spring and looked at both sizes. The tires I had (goodyear) were soft and I got a flat it seemed every time I was out. I felt the need for proper sidewall strength.
I went with the 315/70/17 because of the load rating. I didn't want to be driving a lumber wagon. When I put them on I looked at the inside carefully and I do feel that I made the right decision. I have not had a flat or tear yet.
You can get them in a 285/75/17 if you want a narrow tread.
If you are going to air down and play hard in the rocks then maybe "E" range is better but then maybe a true M/T tire would be better.
A 315 or a 12.5 tire is a wide tire for a Jeep and either one will want to crawl up the ruts and follow ridges on the highways. That said, I have my alignment dialed and I can do 75mph for hours without becoming road stressed. I will buy Ko2's again.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Garage
The KO2 is a very good all around tire, I've had them on my truck for at least 15 years. Couple of years ago I was headed into town (25 miles each way) and something didn't feel quite right about 1/2 mile from our ranch. Pulled off the road and looked at the tires - one of them was flat, I think it blew a tire stem valve (or whatever.) The sidewall was stiff enough for me to drive back home and change it out for the spare.

No air - no problem .
Mouse and WayWestJeep like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Might want to look at the Nitto Trail Grapplers

2011 JKU custom XD60/PR80 5.3LC9 6L80e Trail Grappler 40" Atlas 3.8. Custom RK Pro Aluminum long arms frt with Triangulated rear uppers and lower trailing arms C/O's and Bypass all 4 corners. TK 1 Racing/Currie rear swaybar, Poison Spyder everything except front Expedition One front bumper with Warn 9.5 CTIS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007JKU View Post
Might want to look at the Nitto Trail Grapplers
An excellent trail tire - I have those on my Rubi!
Mouse likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page