• 2 Post By Mouse
  • 2 Post By Blue Baby Sound
  • 4 Post By 97heep
  • 3 Post By katswuy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Looking for guidance

Hey all, I have a 2012 JKU Rubi that is in desperate need of new shocks! I'm running the equivalent of a 35" tire with no other apparent form of lift (bought it used with tires, wheels, winch, bumper already done) which gives me about 2 inches of lift from stock height. I've been told the shock length doesn't matter in this case since there isn't a true lift on the jeep. I measured one of my rear shocks so I can start shopping for replacements but I can't seem to find any that match my measurements. I find some that have the same travel distance but different compressed and extended lengths. So with that...HELP! I've considered getting a kit that would go ahead and give me a true lift to the jeep since I need to change the shocks anyway but just not positive as of yet. I don't want to have to mess with the drive shafts and all of the other stuff so looking to stay at or below 3 inches. She's a daily driver with mudding when I have time. I don't really get into the rock crawling, just the messy stuff Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to ROF! Since you don't have a lift, the distance from the axle to the frame is just like it left the factory regardless of tire size. Any reason to not just replace with OEM shocks? Finding after market shock travel length is difficult, been there done that. I think I remember catalogs describing shock replacements in terms of lift - 0-2", 2"-4", etc.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Rubicus Maximus

if you have stock suspension then get stock length shocks...simple, no reason to measure anything. any parts store or online retailer will have a listing for stock or zero lift,

Ill plug bilstein run them for years on my fleet of vehicles with no failures and good oerformance
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssnyder View Post
Hey all, I have a 2012 JKU Rubi that is in desperate need of new shocks! I'm running the equivalent of a 35" tire with no other apparent form of lift (bought it used with tires, wheels, winch, bumper already done) which gives me about 2 inches of lift from stock height. I've been told the shock length doesn't matter in this case since there isn't a true lift on the jeep. I measured one of my rear shocks so I can start shopping for replacements but I can't seem to find any that match my measurements. I find some that have the same travel distance but different compressed and extended lengths. So with that...HELP! I've considered getting a kit that would go ahead and give me a true lift to the jeep since I need to change the shocks anyway but just not positive as of yet. I don't want to have to mess with the drive shafts and all of the other stuff so looking to stay at or below 3 inches. She's a daily driver with mudding when I have time. I don't really get into the rock crawling, just the messy stuff Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Welcome to ROF! Since you don't have a lift, the distance from the axle to the frame is just like it left the factory regardless of tire size. Any reason to not just replace with OEM shocks? Finding after market shock travel length is difficult, been there done that. I think I remember catalogs describing shock replacements in terms of lift - 0-2", 2"-4", etc.
Like John said... here's a link to Summit for your Jeep with no lift,
You can tailor your search however you like.
You don't necessarily have to buy here, just see what might work.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...0%2B4294947800
johncanfield likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
The local guys to me talk good about Falcon shocks
mac and johncanfield like this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
I've never bought into shock fads, until I tried the Falcons. The 3.3 adjustable are really good, I like them so much they're on both our Jeeps right now.
I've installed Rancho, Bilstein, Teraflex, FOX and other's on JKs over the years, but I'm sticking with Falcon for now. (Until I go ORI on the crawler)
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2014 JKUR- His
2018 JK - Hers
2016 JKWW- Retired
2013 JKU - Retired
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Holy crap you guys are all awesome! Thanks for all the help and explanation! I've tried seeking help with this in several locations and always got the "go measure your shocks" answer. Knowing the shock length hasn't changed regardless of the tire height change helps a lot. I've considered going ahead and getting a lift kit since I need to change the shocks anyway, but wasn't positive what I wanted to do. I HAVE to change the shocks, regardless, so this will help make things easier. I've been looking at a few different brands and so far, Bilstein, Rancho, Teraflex, and Rubicon Express have been the primary front runners. Now that I've been armed with your knowledge, I can go shopping!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gssnyder View Post
Holy crap you guys are all awesome! Thanks for all the help and explanation! I've tried seeking help with this in several locations and always got the "go measure your shocks" answer. Knowing the shock length hasn't changed regardless of the tire height change helps a lot. I've considered going ahead and getting a lift kit since I need to change the shocks anyway, but wasn't positive what I wanted to do. I HAVE to change the shocks, regardless, so this will help make things easier. I've been looking at a few different brands and so far, Bilstein, Rancho, Teraflex, and Rubicon Express have been the primary front runners. Now that I've been armed with your knowledge, I can go shopping!
If you need shocks sooner than later you can pickup some stock ones to hold you over while you do research on a lift. There are a lot of good shocks out there depending on how you use your jeep and how much money you wanna spend. Higher end shocks like king, fox, radflo and tune able billstines can be amazing if you live close to someone or someplace to run the vehicle and have them tuned.

Billstines 5100 or 5160 series are good and a lot of people like them. Falcons I've read are also really good on the JK. Ranchos also receive a lot of praise.

If you're going to lift your jeep the manufacturer of the lift might have shocks spec'd with it. Those shocks would be valve'd based on the springs and lift.

ROF is definitely a forum that strives to be professional and helpful over ignorant and rude like one might experience on others. Glad to read you got the answers you were looking for.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:07 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Take the time to fill out your signature so we know what year and model you have. You might visit a nearby shop that installs Jeep lifts, they may have some "like new" stock shocks off a Rubicon that you could get cheap before they throw them away. They are a step above what the Sport or Sahara models come with.

Ooops, sorry, I see your first post stated it was a 2012 JKUR. It is helpful to have your signature completed though.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page