33ís or 35ís? - Page 3 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVB View Post
I think the AEV wheels are a good choice. I went with them because they were specific to the JK, designed with JK geometry and tire sizes in mind. An excellent value for what they are, JK specific wheels. I believe that extra design thought brings less wear and tear and better handling.

There are tons of wheel manufacture's but the back spacing and offsets are all compromises for the numerous applications that a 5x5 bolt pattern fits, not that most of them are bad they just are not vehicle specific.

Narrow tires and the wheels that fit them are just not popular, my ideal would probably be a 35/6 tire on a 7.5 or so wheel with 5 inches back space, no such animal unless I custom build a wheel and buy a container full of specially built tires...

Yea, when I talked to Paul at AEV he gave me a full lesson on the concept of ďscrub radiusĒ and how their wheels are engineered to maintain the stock scrub radius with 35Ē to 37Ē wheels while still clearing the suspension and frame. However, rlenglishís comment about rubbing with even less BS than the AEV wheels concerns me a bit.

With all the people running AEV wheels and 37ís I have to assume there is ample clearance...

With all the modding of JKs itís still amazing to me how much trial and error is involved.

If this Jeep wasnít geared with 4.88ís (what was the PO thinking...?) Iíd put in some spacers and 33ís and be done with it. But even with 35ís Iím gonna be turning 2600 rpm at highway speed, which isnít awful but itís higher than stock with the 4.10s and 32ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | G2 4.88 Gears | Bilstein 5100s | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Woods 1310 F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | K & N CAI | ARB CKMA12 | too many cheap light bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Rubi Crawler

I have a few pictures of my Jeep on 35" tires with AEV wheels, but only with the rear stock fenders. These are all with the stock suspension. The tires only stuck out a little bit. Lifted it probably wouldn't be noticeable. I had minimal rubbing on the sway bar arms at full lock before the lift went in but no clearance issues since.

Mouse, johncanfield and sbsyncro like this.

Dan
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

So these photos are all *before* your lift? And after the lift youíve had no clearance issues? That is great to hear.

I just listed my JL wheels and remaining 3 almost new tires in CL; hopefully I can find a quick buyer.

2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | G2 4.88 Gears | Bilstein 5100s | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Woods 1310 F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | K & N CAI | ARB CKMA12 | too many cheap light bars

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Rubi Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
So these photos are all *before* your lift? And after the lift youíve had no clearance issues? That is great to hear.

That is correct. If you are going to get AEV wheels avoid the pintlers, they aren't actually hub-centric and I have seen some destroyed on the trails. IMO their 5 spoke design is bad for off roading. It leaves big weak spots that if you come down hard on a rock it just cracks.
Mud Machine and johncanfield like this.

Dan
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2014JK View Post
That is correct. If you are going to get AEV wheels avoid the pintlers, they aren't actually hub-centric and I have seen some destroyed on the trails. IMO their 5 spoke design is bad for off roading. It leaves big weak spots that if you come down hard on a rock it just cracks.
Thanks. I'm planning on the Borah's (though they are HEAVY at 40 lbs...) . According to AEV, they aren't making *any* of their wheels hub centric any more because of problems with the wheels fusing to the hubs in places that use MgCl to salt roads. (dissimilar metal corrosion). Since the factory wheels aren't hub centric, I figure it can't be *that* important...
mac and Desert Dog like this.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Garage
Not being hub centric shouldnít be a big issue with tires/wheels that size. My motorhome wheels are tractor trailer size (22.5Ē) and being off center will be noticeable in a sweeping (gradual) turn so I have a run out test made when changing tires (dial gauge.) Tires should be true to maybe 10 thousands? I donít remember exactly.
mac likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Well, I pulled the trigger on some Hardrock wheels from Quadratec (same dimensions as the AEV wheels, but 15 lbs lighter (each) and about 1/3 the price of the AEV Borahs I was considering.

Ride seems great so far and the stance is very acceptable. I wish BFG made this tire in a 35 x 10.50, but oh well...

Rubbing at full lock on both lower control arms. I suppose I can live with that, but it is a bit disappointing.

Now I need to get it into the field and do some careful testing while flexed.

This time around I paid the extra $30 a tire to get 100% lifetime warranty against ANY hazard (including sidewall tears from rocks or suspension components).

I suspect I will see some fender trimming in the not too distant future (or if I can find some flat fenders and liners that have an acceptable price).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1616.jpg (231.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1629.jpg (224.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1641.jpg (223.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1632.jpg (206.1 KB, 6 views)
mac, Mouse, Desert Dog and 1 others like this.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Rubi Crawler

Looks good!

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page