Yes - JL Rubi wheels on JK Rubi - it works and looks great - Rubicon Owners Forum
 11Likes
  • 3 Post By sbsyncro
  • 1 Post By Mouse
  • 1 Post By sbsyncro
  • 1 Post By sbsyncro
  • 1 Post By pseudoelvis
  • 3 Post By sbsyncro
  • 1 Post By johncanfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Yes - JL Rubi wheels on JK Rubi - it works and looks great

I wanted to swap my Mud Terrains out for KO2s. The kind of terrain I cover simply does not warrant MTs and they tend to get really chewed up on the rocks. Plus their highway characteristics are just not to my liking (though certainly better than many other MTs I've had in the past).

I got a brand new set of '19 Rubi take-offs that already had KO2s in a 285/70 (which is exactly what I was going to buy). I'm happy to say that they fit and look great. I had to swap the TPMS sensors from my old wheels, and also use my lug nuts, since the JL uses metric studs. Another issue for anyone considering doing this is that from the factory, the JK has little washers that retain the stock rotors (not needed) the JK wheels are machined out to make a space for this, but the JL wheels ARE NOT. So you have to remove these retaining washers before mounting JL wheels (or most aftermarket wheels).

The only thing I'm finding is that without spacers (which I am not running and don't want to run) they rub slightly at full lock on both sides - I'm guessing its the sway bar, but I'll look into it more later - it is only at the very very end of the full lock, so I"m not worried about it for now. The 285's are about 1.5" thicker in sectional width and 32.8" diameter versus the OE KM 255/75s being 10" wide and 32.1" diameter

The on-highway driving is SOOOOO much better - quiet, more comfortable, and a lot less squirrelly feeling on wet pavement.

BEFORE

AFTER

mac, Desert Dog and FLLJ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
How much difference is there on the offset?

I heard the JT axles were going to be 1 inch wider than the JL, so it will be interesting to see if the wheels are the same and/or if there are different flares.
mac likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I heard the JT axles were going to be 1 inch wider than the JL, so it will be interesting to see if the wheels are the same and/or if there are different flares.

Not sure about the actual numbers but some googling indicates that they are either the same or 1/4 different.

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mouse likes this.

2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | G2 4.88 Gears | Bilstein 5100s | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Woods 1310 F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | K & N CAI | ARB CKMA12 | too many cheap light bars

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Looks like its rubbing on the control arms. Might need to put some spacers in there or consider swapping to different wheels...

Ah the never-ending process of dialing in a new Jeep...

2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | G2 4.88 Gears | Bilstein 5100s | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Woods 1310 F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | K & N CAI | ARB CKMA12 | too many cheap light bars
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Just measured yesterday with a tape measure and steel ruler across the inside mounting surface (which will be slightly off from where the bead actually seats). I got a backspace measurement of 6.00 for the JL and 6.25 for the JK wheels.

My gut tells me that these need a bit less than an inch more of clearance with the 285/70s to clear the control arms. Unfortunately the thinnest spacers one can use are 1.5 without grinding down the wheel studs.

johncanfield likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 AM
Rubi Noobie

Did the same mod to my '08 JK Rubi and I love it! I don't rub except at FULL lock, and with the SWB, in practicality I never do this on the road.

I do cheat - have my old RR wheels with the proper offset and BFG M/Ts for OR where I would use the full lock .

Stylistically, these wheels look GREAT!
johncanfield likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Well, Im sorry to report that this combo does NOT work with a 3.5 lift when off road and flexing the suspension.

Ill post a full report later but for now here you can see what happened to my BRAND NEW BFG KO2 tires...

The passenger side upper link for the front sway bar tore a huge gash in the sidewall while under full compression and turning left

Had to put the spare on to get out and on the last obstacle coming back to camp blew the spare. Had to drive on the rim about a mile back to a flat road where we could work on it. Destroyed 2 new tires and a new rim. Expensive lesson learned.

I also noticed the upper link of the rear sway bar on the same side made contact with the inside of the wheel and scraped a ring on back of the wheel.

Summary:

You need spacers if youre gonna flex the suspension.

Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Last edited by sbsyncro; 05-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Garage
Ouch!
Mouse likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Here's a screen grab of the second blow-out. I also noticed today some galling of the lug nut seats on the JL wheels that leads me to believe they aren't 100% compatible with the JK studs and lug nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-05-19_12-05-39.jpg (559.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sbsyncro; 05-28-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page