JKUR Death Wobble - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Update...As I stated, this JKUR had severe death wobble. Since it was still under warranty I took it in to the dealer. I left it with them and told them to drive it home a time or two so they could get a first hand sample of the wobble.

They started off by diagnosing an oil leak around the sector shaft on the steering gearbox. They ordered and installed a new gearbox. Jeep still wobbled. They installed a new drag link, Jeep still wobbled. I had tested the ball joints, the passenger side lower had about 1/8th inch up and down movement. They installed new ball joints, warranty on the passenger side, I paid for the drivers side. It had very little movement, I did not want to leave anything to chance.

The tires had been rotated and balanced twice, they have less than 6000 miles since new. The Jeep had been aligned--twice-everything was within specs. Still wobbled. The dealer stated that the tie rods needed to be changed out, everything else had already been changed so that had to be the culprit.

By this time I had gotten the MetalCloak HD steering system. I had wanted the wobble to be fixed before I put it on, didn't want it to be said that the non-stock parts were the cause of the problem. Anyway, I took the Jeep home and my son-in-law helped me install the system. Test drove it, all was good. Took it for a longer test drive the next day over a section of pavement that always started the wobble--all was good.

Took it on a 2 day trip, freeway, rough pavement and a little dirt--all was good. So, did the MC system cure it....The definitive answer is....maybe. When we put the system on I decided I was not going to pay for another alignment. All they can do is set the toe-in and center the steering wheel. The caster angle was good. Miraculously, we set the drag link to the right length the first time and the steering wheel was centered. We set the toe so that, with a tape measure, the front of the steering tires was approx 3/4" of an inch narrower than the back of them. This should equate to about 3/8" toe-in.

Measuring tape alignments are not the most accurate way to do it, but in this case it worked. 3/8th of an inch is a bit on the high side for toe-in, but I am not going to argue with success. I may reassess if the tires start to show abnormal wear. I am left wondering though, if I had set that amount of toe-in prior to everything else, would it have solved the problem? At no time during this ordeal was there any sign of looseness in any tie rod ends. We did the back and forth movement while feeling the joints for looseness, everything seemed tight.

The track bar was tight , the mounting holes are not wallered out, the only looseness of any kind was the passenger lower ball joint and that proved to not be the cause of the problem. We leave for Silverton the end of this month, about a 1400 mile round trip on pavement with a lot of wheeling while we are there, the damn thing better be fixed!!!

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust

Last edited by johncanfield; 07-03-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Broke up one long paragraph into several chunks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Congrats on getting the Jeep back running true. I am waiting on mine to be finished. took it to the shop for new gears and am coming out with new gears and chromoly axles lol. Guess I should just upgrade to 35s now 🤣.

I'll be in Silverton on the 31st as I start the Alpine Loop. If you'll be there on that day shoot me a message. It'll be my TJ and a stock 4Runner running the Alpine loop on the 31st then Black Bear Pass on the 1st.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Rubi Noobie

Silverton comment: Follow what passes are open, friend that lives there said they are having difficulty getting the passes open this year.

Hope the wobble issue is resolved.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

2004 Rubicon N th Degree complete set, 4.5 with long arm, Stinger, plus all plates minus front diff, Tom Woods driveshaft front/back, 305/70/16 tires Cooper STT Pro, weight 4400lbs, New owner 6/12/19

N9ARK Mike

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Garage
There's a good 4x4 shop in Montrose - Rockwerx if you are still having problems. Here's a comprehensive list of trail conditions in the entire San Juan mountain areas. We have friends working at Centennial campground (south of Montrose) and we get some pictures of the snow and trails. Animas Forks is closed due to an avalanche and debris. County road departments have their hands full this year.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Animas Forks is now open by way of Hurricane Pass, then over California Pass, down Placer Gulch past the Frisco Mill to the Forks. The road from Eureka to Animas Forks is still covered by several deep slides and debris, some of them 80 feet deep. Opening that may take a while. Stony Pass was open all the way until last week when someone lost their life attempting to ford Pole Creek. Still lots of snow in the high country, but many of the main trails are open or close to be opening. We will be there in late July, I expect that Black Bear may not be open until Aug 1 or so.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katswuy View Post
Animas Forks is now open by way of Hurricane Pass, then over California Pass, down Placer Gulch past the Frisco Mill to the Forks. The road from Eureka to Animas Forks is still covered by several deep slides and debris, some of them 80 feet deep. Opening that may take a while. Stony Pass was open all the way until last week when someone lost their life attempting to ford Pole Creek. Still lots of snow in the high country, but many of the main trails are open or close to be opening. We will be there in late July, I expect that Black Bear may not be open until Aug 1 or so.
This is good information thanks. Where do you keep tabs on what passes and trails are open? Is there a central web site for this information?

If BBP opens Aug 1st that'll be perfect cause that's when we're hoping to do it. It'll probably be really busy too which doesn't bother me as it gives me plenty of opportunities to stop and take pictures haha.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katswuy View Post
..... Stony Pass was open all the way until last week when someone lost their life attempting to ford Pole Creek..... .
Good grief! I imagine Pole Creek is really running fast and furious with the snow melt. We ran Stony Pass all the way years ago in our Jeep Liberty but there wasn't much water running.

Chris - I included a link to trail conditions in my post above this one. Here's another road condition link (San Miguel county - Telluride.) This website has link to other county road conditions.
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page