How do you guys keep your extended Brake lines from rubbing the tires? - Rubicon Owners Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

How do you guys keep your extended Brake lines from rubbing the tires?

I just picked up a 2017 Rubicon with a lift (donít know which). It has extended length stainless brake lines, but I noticed this morning while crawling around under it that the rear lines are chafing against the tires a tiny bit. It looks like I can just zip tie them to the rear sway bar, but Iím curious how others deal with this issue...

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | G2 4.88 Gears | Bilstein 5100s | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Woods 1310 F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | K & N CAI | ARB CKMA12 | too many cheap light bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
I had that issue on the front of my TJ when I went to the MC 6pak shocks.... I had to use really, really long front lines. Finally what I did was I removed the caliper and basically put a single twist in the line so that it coiled inward. Then for added protection (probably didn't need it) I covered the line with that self sealing/adhering silicone tape (called tommy tape but there are many brands). Can't say I ever had an issue after that and the tape never showed signs of wear.

Now my case was rather unusual and I had 14" of travel in the front. Before that, with my long arm and regular long travel shocks, I never had this issue.
johncanfield likes this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Just twist the line a bit as sweetpee said, mine looks like this, I splitted a 3/8" vacuum hose where it rubs against the swaybar bracket, I'm sure if I play a bit more with it I could avoid that too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (49.8 KB, 58 views)
johncanfield likes this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Thanks guys. I can see where the PO did the same thing - twisted the line away from the wheel and also put fuel hose on as a chafing guard, but it still bugs me... I think I'm going to zip tie it with something small that can break easily if the extra length is needed. That way for daily driving, I'm not risking rubbing the lines against the backs of the tires.

You can kinda see what I'm talking about here:

Last edited by sbsyncro; 05-08-2019 at 03:12 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've seen some people use a spring to keep the brake line out of harms way. I managed to break an extended front brake line on a silly little obstacle in Moab a couple of years ago - I still have no idea how that happened but I always carry spare lines and a couple of quarts of brake fluid. I was back on the trail in about 20 minutes.
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
I've seen some people use a spring to keep the brake line out of harms way. I managed to break an extended front brake line on a silly little obstacle in Moab a couple of years ago - I still have no idea how that happened but I always carry spare lines and a couple of quarts of brake fluid. I was back on the trail in about 20 minutes.

Thatís a great idea. Those brake lines look vulnerable.

2017 JKUR | 6-spd Manual | Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex | G2 4.88 Gears | Bilstein 5100s | Fox 2.0 ATS Stabilizer | Smittybilt Atlas F & R bumpers | Smittybilt X20 Winch | ARB Diff Covers | BesTop Sunrider | Woods 1310 F & R shafts | Magnaflow axle-back | K & N CAI | ARB CKMA12 | too many cheap light bars
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:46 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
https://teraflex.com/file/attachment...007671ec9d.jpg
Desert Dog likes this.

2006 White Rubicon Unlimited with Rokmen stuff
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

How do you guys keep your extended Brake lines from rubbing the tires?

Youíre talking about these?

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5907...hicle=Jeep+SUV

Look like a good idea. Is there something similar for the tests?

Desert Dog likes this.

Last edited by sbsyncro; 05-10-2019 at 03:36 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
Youíre talking about these?

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5907...hicle=Jeep+SUV

Look like a good idea. Is there something similar for the tests?
For some reason I can't edit my previous post. I meant to say "Rears". Would the same thing work for the rears, as I have some contact being made there as well. but the Terraflex info and install video only shows installation for the front...

Thanks

Brent
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

I believe they make them for the front because of the movement/rotation of the rotor in relation to the axle, whereas the rear doesn't have that issue.

If you're rubbing in the rear maybe these could be used to control them.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/univ...cle=Jeep%20SUV
Desert Dog and sbsyncro like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page