JKU Rubicon rear brake pads worn - Couple questions - Rubicon Owners Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

JKU Rubicon rear brake pads worn - Couple questions

2014 JKUR AEV 3.5 lift and 35's, 59,000 miles

The rear pads are worn down to 3-4 mm but the front are still looking thick.

Is it OK to change out only the back brake pads?

Do you have a recomended brake pad? I'll probably buy them here. https://www.quadratec.com/search/jeep%20brake%20pads

Note: I am an easy driver and easy on the brakes. Drive highway to trail heads for over-landing with a Jeep exploration club. Minimal rock crawling and very little city driving. First owner was a city driver and probably used up the pads.

Also will do my own work and will check rotors for being in spec.

Thanks sierrabob

2005 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Rear
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12710_041X_PG.htm

Front
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12710_032X_PG.htm

Go big or go home haha 😄

On a realistic note. I've rear good things about EBC pads. I've always just gone to my local parts store and gotten semi-metalic pads.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Rubi Crawler

I have about 65k miles on my 2014 and have replaced the rear pads twice, still going on the stock front pads. The JKs hill assist triggers the rear brakes causing them to wear more quickly than the fronts. I did my first set of rear pads around 28k miles. I'm likely going with the Dynatrac big brake kit all around next time. You may want to do rotors while you're at it. If you take it off road avoid drilled/slotted. Those are best for dissipating heat at high speeds, but we're talking about Jeeps here. Those holes only serve to catch dirt, rocks, mud and are worse at low speed braking.
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

Dan

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Yes, you can just change out the rears.
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

2006 Turbo LJ Rubicon, Red
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Rubicus Maximus

JK's eat rear brakes, that's just how it is. Make sure your pads move freely in the slides, you may have to sand or grind the metal tabs even on the new pads. Inspect your rotors carefully if they are in good shape you can just do rear pads. I always do rotors with pads for a proper job but at the rate the rears wear I will do them every second time. Hill start assist may contribute but the JK's are heavy, the rear pads are probably too small and they will tend to catch debris and drag. Ah the life of a Jeep.
mac, johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Thanks everyone for the information always appreciate the help I get on ROF. I still have the TJ and this new JK is another learning experience.

For better or worse, I ordered Centric 104.12740 Posi-Quiet Metallic w/Shims and Hardware-Preferred (Rear) from Amazon. Although the reviews were mixed, and odd the complaint was they are noisy, decided to use these for now.

The rotors look good but haven't measured them yet. I will keep my eye on the brakes and in the future will be better informed.

Pic: The remaining group on the western shore, Salt Lake Utah salt flats, near the original 1869 transcontinental train route on our 2200 mile Heart of the West trip fall 2018.

2005 Rubicon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
…..On a realistic note. I've rear good things about EBC pads...
I like my EBC yellow stuff pads. Not sure if it matters but I would use same type of pads front and rear for consistency though.
johncanfield likes this.

My dogs name is Rubi
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
I like my EBC yellow stuff pads. Not sure if it matters but I would use same type of pads front and rear for consistency though.
Guess I should say my influence to get the "Posi Quiet" rear pads is from the the Black Magic Brake site.

Based on this, I am assuming Black Magic on the front and these "Posi Quiet" pads on the back. So a mix of pads front/back is OK?

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.co...PQBP-12740.htm

2005 Rubicon
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:11 PM

I'm getting ready to put on a third set of rear pads. The fronts barely show any where on the second set and I'm only at 62K, but most of that is in town. The rears are much smaller, due to most of the braking force being in the front. Just change out the rears and have a good day. I just picked up a good set at Autozone.

Ron
mac, johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

Stirring the pot ever since... Now where's my bucket of gas...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:04 AM
mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
JK's eat rear brakes, that's just how it is. Make sure your pads move freely in the slides, you may have to sand or grind the metal tabs even on the new pads. Inspect your rotors carefully if they are in good shape you can just do rear pads. I always do rotors with pads for a proper job but at the rate the rears wear I will do them every second time. Hill start assist may contribute but the JK's are heavy, the rear pads are probably too small and they will tend to catch debris and drag. Ah the life of a Jeep.
just replaced Rear Rotors n Pads @ 26,000 mi on my 2013 JK
Fronts look brand new
as far as I know it's a JK thing
Mouse, johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts writing for the majority:"It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices"
Into the sunset of time the once great beacon of liberty fades
Past the tipping point a nation fundamentally transformed
Towards serfdom America blindly dances.

C.L. Morgan - 7 November 2012

Darkness fades
The great beacon of liberty
Shines once more...

C.L.Morgan - 9 November 2016

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page