Dust getting past the stock paper air filter - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
I have a fine mesh cover over the cone shaped air filter that mounts right on the supercharger intake. The cover works really well as a sort of pre-filter.
Mouse and sierrabob like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 PM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Just my experience,
My rig came with a K&N intake. I threw away the K&N filter and got an AMSOIL cone filter (no oil) with an outer cover. The result after 6 months in Baja and their terrible silt beds I took the filter off and washed it. Huge amount of fine silt came out. The outer is not oiled and it had little silt. The outer is not a filter, but is there to catch large debris and keep big stuff off the regular filter. It is not restrictive at all. Probably a waste of effort to use that kind of outer? Anyway that setup is not perfect as I had some dust on the inner intake pipe.
The Amsoil uses a Nano fabric like the Donaldson uses, so I thought it might be better than the K&N.
A long time ago I fell for the K&N hype and I was severely disappointed by the heavy silt in the intake. Then when it came time to clean and re-oil there is no way to quantify how much oil to use. To little and it passes dirt To much make a mess and restricts air flow.
I even tried an oil saturated foam filter. Same comments about the K&N apply, except a bigger mess and I hated the cleaning oiling process.
For now I will stick with the AMSOIL one. Its cost was similar to most aftermarket filters.
Comparing the AMSOIL it had less dust in the intake than the others, regardless on my oiling technique.
BTW, my son's Baja racer uses a conventional, but large paper filter with a thick foam over wrap. The over wrap has to be replaced or cleaned during his various races. It seems to collect the silt just as good as the paper filter so it clogs pretty fast. It is not oiled.
PaulW
Mouse, johncanfield and sierrabob like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I just checked my filter, dirty as hell but nothing went past it. Mopar filter.
I think your easiest and cheapest solution would be to just get rid of all you friends. That way you'll never have to follow anyone, clean air all the time.
PWMAC, I have ran into this kind of filter, mostly on diesel trucks, they have a foam bonded to the paper element. The ones I have seen have a sticky substance on them from the factory. They are desirable for trucks that get used in mines. Coal dust can destroy a engine quickly. Does your son go through a lot when racing?
mac and johncanfield like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

OP update: Have installed the Mopar filter and used rim grease. Also have a filter skin on the intake and will report later the effectiveness. Filter skin is essentially cheese cloth.

Talked to a pro mechanic about the filter fail. He suggested that when the filter got clogged with dust and I got onto the highway the engine pulled the filter hard enough to suck in the middle and bend it. That allowed air flow along the rim and into the clean side of the filter.

I was able to examine several Jeep JK air filters and this is my unofficial view based on "eye balling" while getting briefed by an experienced mechanic about their construction and integraty.

Microguard: The failed filter, It was OReily's "go to" filter a Microguard made in Korea. Actually this filter is made well with thick tight filter material and a fused rim seal similar to the Mopar. I'll admit the failure is all mine. I should have replace the filter at the end of the trail and not run it on the highway.

Fram: This filter is indeed subpar and cheaply built with thinner filter material. The Fram rim gasket is thin and not even glued to the filter and can be pulled off easily. Made in China.

Wix: The Wix looks better than the Mopar. It is built as good as the Mopar but what makes it better is it has a reenforced structure to keep the filter from caving in when loaded with dirt.

Mopar: The Mopar air filter has heavy fabric and a thick gasket glued to the filter and appears strong and stiff. But doesn't have the reinforced part like the Wix.

Pics failed to load to my gallery for some reason
johncanfield, Desert Dog and FLLJ like this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 09-27-2018 at 03:33 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Garage
There's some YouTube videos of guys cutting various oil filters in half and Wix brand was hands down the best of the bunch. I think that guy mentioned Wix makes Napa Gold filters. Fram oil filters were one of the worst he evaluated. I'm guessing Wix makes quality air filters based on their oil filter construction.
mac, Mouse, Desert Dog and 1 others like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page