What engine coolant for JK 2014 v6 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

What engine coolant for JK 2014 v6

I have a new to me 2014 JKUR V6 with 50k miles and noticed the radiator coolent overflow container is low. The radiator is full to the brim. I added about a quart and a half of distilled water to top it off. Now would like to have a container of proper coolant on hand.

What eng coolant do you use in your later model 2013-2018 JK?

Reason I need to ask the wisdom of the forum is an internet search was inconclusive. Even found lots of forum threads showing confusion on simply buying the right coolant

Note: Even putting distilled water in the engine system gives me question! My dad was chief engineer on merchant marine ships and he always cautioned me about using distilled water as he claimed it would eat metal as distilled water is looking for positive ions or something like that!

Edit: Found this but unsubstantiated. Prestone dexcool meets GM Ford and Chrysler specs
Old Guy likes this.

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 08-27-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM
Rubicus Maximus

OAT coolant is purple in color. It cannot be mixed with other types of coolant including Chrysler's existing HOAT coolant and only should only be mixed with approved OAT coolant of the same color. Maintenance of the cooling system is not required unless a repair has been made with loss of coolant or the coolant has been contaminated
carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. MoparŪ Antifreeze/Coolant, or the equivalent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called OAT, for Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
Go to Dodge and get the good stuff. FCA has been pushing distilled water for a while now. Lately their claim is that it could have minerals in it that could conduct electricity. This is a concern with high voltage hybrids.
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabob View Post
I have a new to me 2014 JKUR V6 with 50k miles and noticed the radiator coolent overflow container is low. The radiator is full to the brim. I added about a quart and a half of distilled water to top it off. Now would like to have a container of proper coolant on hand.

What eng coolant do you use in your later model 2013-2018 JK?

Reason I need to ask the wisdom of the forum is an internet search was inconclusive. Even found lots of forum threads showing confusion on simply buying the right coolant

Note: Even putting distilled water in the engine system gives me question! My dad was chief engineer on merchant marine ships and he always cautioned me about using distilled water as he claimed it would eat metal as distilled water is looking for positive ions or something like that!

Edit: Found this but unsubstantiated. Prestone dexcool meets GM Ford and Chrysler specs
I had a similar issue when I changed my coolant while doing a water pump replacement on my Cummins. I used several gallons of distilled water to flush and 50/50 mix.

Anyway, this is from the 2014 JK owners manual that I found here:
https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/car...penGarage=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jkur.JPG (102.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg coolant.JPG (86.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg coolant2.JPG (90.4 KB, 22 views)
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
Go to Dodge and get the good stuff!
Thanks for the response rlenglish,

Go to the dealer to get antifreeze! There are real issues with this! I hope there is an antifreeze we can buy at any auto parts store. What I'm really after

Excuse the pickiness just trying to understand.
"FCA has been pushing distilled water for a while now. Lately their claim is that it could have minerals in it that could conduct electricity. This is a concern with high voltage hybrids."

I think distilled water contains only H2O and no minerals. I think you ment to say un-distilled water may contain minerals.

2005 Rubicon
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Thanks FLLJ.

What I'm looking for is the Mopar equivalent meeting Chrysler MS-12106.

If the dealer is the only place to get our coolant they will have a field day in overpricing!

2005 Rubicon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:28 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Thanks FLLJ.

What I'm looking for is the Mopar equivalent meeting Chrysler MS-12106.

If the dealer is the only place to get our coolant they will have a field day in overpricing!
IMO get the Mopar OAT or flush the system and put in whatever you want.

Personally I went with the Mopar when I replaced my '14 radiator and therm.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKUR- His
2018 JK - Hers
2016 JKWW- Retired
2013 JKU - Retired
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
IMO get the Mopar OAT or flush the system and put in whatever you want.

Personally I went with the Mopar when I replaced my '14 radiator and therm.
That make sense but only if the replacement doesn't harm the engine. I have read post suggesting that Chryslers change from HOAT to OAT is due to new metallurgy in the engines internals. The OAT is needed for that.

Problem is this is conjecture or interpretation of why the change. Anyway sure would be good to hear from Chrysler why the change in fluid and by those "in the know" to an alternative to expensive Mopar fluid.

The cost is not so much the issue as principal. And there are benefits to have answers to questions like this. Just trying to dig it out.

2005 Rubicon
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:35 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Thanks for the response rlenglish,

Go to the dealer to get antifreeze! There are real issues with this! I hope there is an antifreeze we can buy at any auto parts store. What I'm really after

Excuse the pickiness just trying to understand.
"FCA has been pushing distilled water for a while now. Lately their claim is that it could have minerals in it that could conduct electricity. This is a concern with high voltage hybrids."

I think distilled water contains only H2O and no minerals. I think you ment to say un-distilled water may contain minerals.
Yes . Your right.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I have heard the compatibility with metal and with gaskets was the reason to go to OAT. But I don't believe it. I suspect it was a change for the same reason as most, it's slightly "Greener".
It was pretty much a blanket change in all FCA's engines, some of which didn't and still haven't changed.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
I have heard the compatibility with metal and with gaskets was the reason to go to OAT. But I don't believe it. I suspect it was a change for the same reason as most, it's slightly "Greener".
It was pretty much a blanket change in all FCA's engines, some of which didn't and still haven't changed.
My gut feeling is you are correct on why the change to OAT. If that is true then the "all engines, all makes, Prestone will perform just fine with no damage or problems. Just don't mix it, another argument around along with violating warranty.

Just would like to have some solid confirmation on a good alternative to the Mopar fluid to be sure. Any Chrysler engineers/chemists around?

Edit: Found this link on another forum: Chrysler News letter... need to scroll down a few pages for the "HOAT (Hybrid Organic) to OAT (Organic) Coolant Transition"
https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Perform...ype=automotive

Edit 2: Disappointed in this statement at AutoZone after searching for coolant for a 2014 Rubicon, "We're sorry, but there are no results in this parts category for 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD." found none at O'Reily's either.

Edit 3: Maybe on to something. Found this... The Mopar OAT for 2013 and newer (which is expensive as hell from the dealer) is the same as the latest Dexcool. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/m...ot-238028.html

Edit 4: excuse for making this too long of a post but: Here is the Mopar correct OAT on amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Perform...ustomerReviews

2005 Rubicon

Last edited by sierrabob; 08-28-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page